buying refurbished

jkiamsh

I'm looking into buying a refurbished graphics card but I like many people is a bit skeptical. I found a 7870 gigabyte graphics card (price around 190) under a legitimate company but is it worth it to save the extra money or would it be better to just buy it new. Has anyone had problem after they bought a refurbished graphic card or any other important computer parts ? ( ie. motherboard, memory , psu)

Mobo: GA-990XA-UD3 / Cpu: AMD FX-6300 @ 3.4Ghz / Memory: 2x4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz patriot intel extreme masters

VGA: xfx HD R7870 2GB  HDD: WD Black 1TB

Power Supply: Cx 500 Watts 80+ Bronze / Case: Corsair 200R / Cooler: Coolmaster 212 Evo

I would First, make sure you still get the manufacturers warranty and 30 day return policy. Other than that if the cost savings are considerable then why not. Tho if your only saving like 10-20$ i don't think its worth it.

I know what you mean about buying refurbished. I used to be hesitant as well but in reality, refurbished doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the item. When an item is labeled refurbished it has been sent back to the manufacturer for whatever reason and fixed to "like new" condition. It can't be sold as "new" obviously so it is sold as refurbished. I myself have bought many an item refurbished with no problems. The only thing I would look into is warranty. Does the manufacturer or seller offer any warranty should something go wrong. Some sellers do, some don't. Be wary of anything refurbished sold as "As Is", there should be no reason not to offer warranty if in fact it is a legit manufacturer refurbished item. Hope this helps ease your mind.

When buying a refurbished card you are running a risk. If the previous owner were to have not handled the card well it may not be in the best condition. Also the previous owner could have over clocked the card, some times causing coil whine. I would only reccomend buying a used component if you have the opprotunity to test it out to make sure it is in a good condition and that it functions properly and that it is from a reputable seller. I have never bought a used component because of this. I recently heard that someone bought a used GPU and it would cause the system to crash every time a 3d application (game) was launched. Things like this can happen if you buy a used GPU. You could; however, end up with a GPU in perfect condition, but this is a risk I would not take. If I were you I would try to find a new GPU in your price range.

Hopefully this is helpful :)

PC Specs: Intel Core i5 3570k @4.0 GHz - Asus P8Z77-V - Corsair H60 - 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz - 2x EVGA Nvidia Geforce GTX 670 FTW - 120 GB Corsair Force Series 3 SSD - 1 TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM HDD - NZXT Phantom 410 Black - Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w

I've bought several used GPU's over the years on ebay or local shops and never had a problem. I've only ever had 1 die on me but I got 3years out of it.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

for $190 I'd say it's not worth it.

I'd say spend an extra $50 and buy a 7870 XT,then sell one or both games to make up for the price.

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PC-787_2V3&c=CJ

with referubished you don't get the two games,you get a shorter warranty (if any),you get no accessories (typically),and no gaurentee that the card won't die on you right after the warranty is up.

so just buy the 7870 XT (performs on par with a stock 7950) and then sell either bioshock or tomb raider on ebay for $50,then keep the other game for yourself.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552