HDD and SSD on directly in contact

galaxyrooter

I have an Hp 8300 elite sff case that is really small and it has space for only 2 3.5" hdds. I have 2 hdds and an 850 evo ssd i would like to use at the same time. Can I put an ssd on the hdd directly and secure it with duct tape like this? Will they interfere with each other? I also have a dvd-rom I barely use so the sata connectors will be on the hdd and when I need the dvd ill plug it instead of the hdd 

IMG_20180108_115336.jpg

IMG_20180108_115435.jpg

SSDs don't vibrate and don't get damaged from it, so there is no reason to think it'd be a problem.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

you can place the ssd anywhere(upside down, side ways...) in the case since it doesn't have any moving part, placing it like that could maybe prevent the hard drive to properly cool down.

Also Enable hotplug in your BIOS settings, to be able to change the sata cables without needing to shutdown your PC.

I was thinking about static electricity etc. Also the hdd has magnets and moving parts so the position of the ssd can interfere with it? Or should I put it between the PSU and other hdd?

15154097475941956315921.jpg

15154097687542032735139.jpg

It doesn't matter where you put the SSD. Personally I'd tape it to a part of the case rather than to a drive just in case the drive gets a bit hot. I wouldn't stick it to the PSU for heat reasons too.

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, MrDrWho13 said:

It doesn't matter where you put the SSD. Personally I'd tape it to a part of the case rather than to a drive just in case the drive gets a bit hot. I wouldn't stick it to the PSU for heat reasons too.

i agree, you can even leave it hanging inside the case, nothing will happen to it.

Ok and what about bios does anyone know something about it? Should I use AHCI oR RAID  I dont know anything about that

Just now, galaxyrooter said:

Ok and what about bios does anyone know something about it? Should I use AHCI oR RAID  I dont know anything about that

Don't use RAID if you don't know what you're doing.

I edit my posts a lot.

6 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Don't use RAID if you don't know what you're doing.

Why shouldnt I use it? 

2 hours ago, galaxyrooter said:

Why shouldnt I use it? 

RAID is for duplicating data across disks for redundancy. I doubt that you have a reason for using RAID except RAID 0 which makes 2 disks appear as one. RAID 0 would be especially risky in this case because there are little to no advantages with the disadvantage being that if any disk fails, all your data will be gone.

I edit my posts a lot.

On 1/8/2018 at 5:26 AM, galaxyrooter said:

Why shouldnt I use it? 

Because if you set the wrong option you could literally lose all your data.

"Because you don't know what you're doing"