I clicked a Phishing link and now i may be Dos'ed.

IDEK

firstly i would like to state that i know i am a stupid guy so i dont need to be told this in the replies. Basically someone i (used to) be very good friends with put a link into discord yesterday , and without paying too much attention i clicked what i believed to be a youtube link (i was switching between discord and game pretty quickly so wasnt really looking). It sent me to a video of a 1 second timer. From that point my internet has been crashing and my ping shooting to 2000-4000 ping. It has effected the wifi on my IPhone too. What can i do to combat this or do i have to wait this out? Is this what i think it is or is it somthing else. I willl put the link below incase anyone recognises it but click it at your own discretion

PS i talked to the friend and they said they put it in the wrong server , and was meant for someone else to see if they recognized it.

Edited by wkdpaul

Run a virus scan?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Link removed, please do not post dangerous links.

Simply reboot your modem, it should give you a new IP from your ISP.

If after getting a new IP you still have that same issue that means something was probably installed on the desktop to keep track of it's public IP.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, Shreyas1 said:

Run a virus scan?

i am but i have like 5 TB of data so its going to take a while , i just wanted some quick advice cus i have mock exams in the morning and need my pc to revise

3 minutes ago, IDEK said:

firstly i would like to state that i know i am a stupid guy so i dont need to be told this in the replies. Basically someone i (used to) be very good friends with put a link into discord yesterday , and without paying too much attention i clicked what i believed to be a youtube link (i was switching between discord and game pretty quickly so wasnt really looking). It sent me to a video of a 1 second timer. From that point my internet has been crashing and my ping shooting to 2000-4000 ping. It has effected the wifi on my IPhone too. What can i do to combat this or do i have to wait this out? Is this what i think it is or is it somthing else. I willl put the link below incase anyone recognises it but click it at your own discretion

PS i talked to the friend and they said they put it in the wrong server , and was meant for someone else to see if they recognized it.

Unplug your your router and leave it for a minute or two then plug it back in and it should grab you a new IP address, or you can do soft resets in the router options until you get a new IP.

Just now, wkdpaul said:

Link removed, please do not post dangerous links.

Simply reboot your modem, it should give you a new IP from your ISP.

If after getting a new IP you still have that same issue that means something was probably installed on the desktop to keep track of it's public IP.

Sorry about the link i just wanted to see it was from a specific site. And thanks for that i will try it.

1 minute ago, mortino said:

Unplug your your router and leave it for a minute or two then plug it back in and it should grab you a new IP address, or you can do soft resets in the router options until you get a new IP.

After a quick google search it seems like this may not be true, im not sure if it is a thing that american ISP's do but it seems like rebooting might not actually change my IP

4 minutes ago, IDEK said:

After a quick google search it seems like this may not be true, im not sure if it is a thing that american ISP's do but it seems like rebooting might not actually change my IP

Almost everyone has a dynamic IP in north America unless you specifically requested a static IP or have business class internet. Technically it is the modem that needs to be reset but most people have a modem/router/switch combo that is commonly referred to as just a router. So this should work, I do it all the time.
EDIT: just try it, and see if it works, you won't break anything.

Just now, mortino said:

Almost everyone has a dynamic IP in north America unless you specifically requested a static IP or have business class internet. Technically it is the modem that needs to be reset but most people have a modem/router/switch combo that is commonly referred to as just a router. So this should work, I do it all the time.
EDIT: just try it, and see if it works, you won't break anything.

Yeah theres the thing im not in NA im in the UK , ive tried it and it aint changed anything

12 hours ago, IDEK said:

Yeah theres the thing im not in NA im in the UK , ive tried it and it aint changed anything

There should be option in router settings to refresh DNS record. This will disconnect from internet, delete all IP and port data stored and then requests new defaults from ISP. Worst thing that could happen is that ISP for some reason doesn't have automatic service, or that you have static IP.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv