Designing a Case - IDEA + CAD Sketch

Necromonger

IDK if this is even the correct sub-forum, but if it's not, can you move it mods?

OK, so where to begin... I am an early 90's kid, was born 1989 and one day during a field trip to UCLA or USC (can't remember) we visited their libraries and there were just lines of the brand new Power Mac G5s and since then the design idea has stayed in my head. It was such a simple and modern design which has yet to be successfully copied over to PC builders. My idea is probably relatively identical, though with some differences....

The case would be built from brushed/anodized aluminium, and the side panel would be a lock pull temper panel (a small tab you press in to eject the temper glass panel). The front grill mesh would not be a single piece, rather a detachable piece held together with neodymium magnets and some kind of latch. Behind the grill would be a removable air filter and LEDs (to shine through the holes and mesh). The size would also be reduced to that of a mid tower ATX case. Inside there will be trays with sliders to add SSDs, HDDs, coolant reservoirs, fans, etc! There would also be some sort of adjustable slider for GPUs to mount via PCIe extenders or adjustable sliders to hold up GPUs (prevent sag).

Front I/O would consist of several USB 3.0, 3.1, Mic, Aux, and possible HDMI/Display Port passthroughs.

NOTE: Dimensions are in centimeters...

CZJOSi9.jpg

iLUhqar.jpg

NOTE: These drafts/designs are not final! I still have a lot of work to finish. If you have suggestions, let me know! Lastly, am thinking about also potentially doing the entire front and top middle section be made of fabric, similar to Google's Home Mini, Daydream Goggles, etc, with the stitch fabric, but for this I will have to edit the file on Blender. 

Check Out My 2 PC Builds! - Fall 2015

Check Out My Twin PC Builds! - Fall 2016 (Revival)

4 minutes ago, Necromonger said:

-SNIP-

As you said this holds a similar design to the G5 mac's to use an old one to be the base of the design and to modify it as needed. Cost wise that would be significantly less than designing and building a case from the ground up. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

6 minutes ago, Necromonger said:

NOTE: Dimensions are in centimeters...

Good man.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

As you said this holds a similar design to the G5 mac's to use an old one to be the base of the design and to modify it as needed. Cost wise that would be significantly less than designing and building a case from the ground up. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

True, but I feel that if you are going to get a G5 / Mac Pro, you'll want to do a Hackintosh build / Mac Pro Build, not saying its impossible to build a gaming PC inside a G5 case (there are a few on YouTube).

first of all, that looks pretty cool, second of all, what software did you use to make that? i've had an idea myself for a PC case thats pretty snazzy if i do say so myself, but don't have the software to model it at this time...

6 hours ago, Acrain7 said:

first of all, that looks pretty cool, second of all, what software did you use to make that? i've had an idea myself for a PC case thats pretty snazzy if i do say so myself, but don't have the software to model it at this time...

Thanks... AutoCAD 2017

If you happen to be a student, or if you probably were a student recently, you can get this for free along with a bunch of other softwares from Autodesk. P.S. Dassault also offers Catia for free to students(Similar to SolidWorks) though they actually verify if you are still enrolled or not!!!!

14 hours ago, Necromonger said:

Thanks... AutoCAD 2017

If you happen to be a student, or if you probably were a student recently, you can get this for free along with a bunch of other softwares from Autodesk. P.S. Dassault also offers Catia for free to students(Similar to SolidWorks) though they actually verify if you are still enrolled or not!!!!

thanks for the help! :D