windows 7 pro to win 10 pro, is it worth it?

i have been a long time user of windows 7 and i love it. It does everything i need and rarely gives me trouble. i have tried to upgrade twice before and my windows 10 installs corrupted or something within 2 weeks. all i know is i never got past the log in screen after hours of waiting. so now at least a year and a half after my last windows 10 experiment i am yet again considering the upgrade. my key is legit and is activated on my current windows 7 install. all this boils down to a few questions.

1. with my current activated windows install can i upgrade to windows 10 pro?

2. if i can upgrade with my current install will it cost me anything? such as buying another key just for windows 10?

3. if i go through with the upgrade will Microsoft kill my install because i log in with my Microsoft account on 2 machines? (desktop and my laptop that already has windows 10 on it)

4. is it worth the trouble with all of the security concerns?

i look forward to all of your responses and thank you for reading.

Drop the hope of upgrading, that is your issue. Just perform a clean install of W10 and you won't have any issues. However, what is your system specs?

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Drop the hope of upgrading, that is your issue. Just perform a clean install of W10 and you won't have any issues. However, what is your system specs?

i find that hard to believe i will wait for a second opinion. as for my specs they are on my profile page. 3770k, gtx 670 32GB of 1333Mhz(1600Mhz OC) ram and an asus mb that thinks my 3770k isn't overclock able and throws 2-3 false voltage warnings every day.

Plenty of power there. If you upgrade you will almost always run into an issue. Whether it's noticeable within 1 hour or 1 month who knows, but that's where most of people's complaining stems from about windows 10. A clean install will ensure your system is as it can be. I've had no issues on multiple computers that I've installed w10 on, only by upgrading has there been problems. Feel free to wait for other opinions on the matter, just my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

Plenty of power there. If you upgrade you will almost always run into an issue. Whether it's noticeable within 1 hour or 1 month who knows, but that's where most of people's complaining stems from about windows 10. A clean install will ensure your system is as it can be. I've had no issues on multiple computers that I've installed w10 on, only by upgrading has there been problems. Feel free to wait for other opinions on the matter, just my 2 cents.

okay, so is it possible for me to upgrade now without additional cost and keeping my activation?

How are you upgrading? Do you have an installation disk, the media creation tool?

Just now, NinJake said:

How are you upgrading? Do you have an installation disk, the media creation tool?

i have nothing at the moment, simply looking into the possibility.

Windows upgrades and service pack upgrade (or new version of Windows 10 builds) usually fails because the system was not in tip top shape. This usually is the results of using some poorly coded tweak tools that craps on the registry, or modifies system files to do what it needs to achieve, or virus and malware even if they were removed (remember that A/V solutions only removes infections, it doesn't fix modified system files, and registry changes), or a registry cleaner was used. Many people think that their system works great for months after using a registry cleaner.. but usually problem shows during big updates. Its best to not use them, beside they are 0 advantages of using them, even if you have a potato computer. Advantages of it are a myth these days.

Aside from this:

Usually:

• Non updated anti-virus and other security software versions break or prevent the installation of an upgrade. I would just remove it and install it back after you  upgraded to Windows 10. If you use Microsoft Security Essentials, then there is no point in having it, remove it, Windows 10 has it built-in under the Windows Defender brand (which is not to be confused with the old Windows Defender which is totally different.. yay Microsoft marketing!)
  • Drivers needs to be FULLY updated. All of them. You have many times drivers with issues with upgrade process due to mistakes or bugs in their coding not following MS guidelines, and this is where things fails. Usually hardware makers fixes them, but you need to have those latest versions to get the fix.

I'm not sure exactly. You should be able to and if it doesn't work you can always contact Microsoft. I have w10 keys for my personal builds and volume keys at work for deploying w10... However @GoodBytes is a huge Windows fanatic here and will surely be of more help than I in regards to updating and keeping your license key valid. If I had any doubts, I'd contact Microsoft directly and tell them you upgraded but the license didn't transfer properly. When you say your key is legit do you mean you purchased the key yourself or it's an OEM key?

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Windows upgrades and service pack upgrade (or new version of Windows 10 builds) usually fails because the system was not in tip top shape. This usually is the results of using some poorly coded tweak tools that craps on the registry, or modifies system files to do what it needs to achieve, or virus and malware even if they were removed (remember that A/V solutions only removes infections, it doesn't fix modified system files, and registry changes), or a registry cleaner was used. Many people think that their system works great for months after using a registry cleaner.. but usually problem shows during big updates. Its best to not use them, beside they are 0 advantages of using them, even if you have a potato computer. Advantages of it are a myth these days.

Aside from this:

Usually:

• Non updated anti-virus and other security software versions break or prevent the installation of an upgrade. I would just remove it and install it back after you  upgraded to Windows 10. If you use Microsoft Security Essentials, then there is no point in having it, remove it, Windows 10 has it built-in under the Windows Defender brand (which is not to be confused with the old Windows Defender which is totally different.. yay Microsoft marketing!)
  • Drivers needs to be FULLY updated. All of them. You have many times drivers with issues with upgrade process due to mistakes or bugs in their coding not following MS guidelines, and this is where things fails. Usually hardware makers fixes them, but you need to have those latest versions to get the fix.

so if i understand this correctly if my system has any little issue the update will fuck itself and die. if i just wipe and do a clean install like @ninjake suggests i should be fine?

One of the awesome things about clean installing windows 10 is it's smart enough to grab all the correct and up-to-date drivers during the installation process.

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

One of the awesome things about clean installing windows 10 is it's smart enough to grab all the correct and up-to-date drivers during the installation process.

indeed. that is one of the few features i actually like. but i really don't want to wipe just 2-3 months after a wipe. btw the key is mine, i got it from my old system before i built my current rig in 2012. i would like to keep it at all costs, after all i managed to keep it after 4-5 wipes.

4 minutes ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

so if i understand this correctly if my system has any little issue the update will fuck itself and die. if i just wipe and do a clean install like @ninjake suggests i should be fine?

Well not to that level. The upgrade process is a complicated procedure, as it needs to do a lot of stuff behind. Some of the things are (beside moving your current install of Windows into Windows.old folder, transfer your personal files, and extract the new version of Windows:

• Transfer accounts information
  • Transfer the registry and upgrade everything in it related to Windows, security software, drivers, and convert to configuration new models
  • Communicate with every Security software it detects to tell them not to freak out, Windows is upgrading (which for some A/V is a constant problem, others never).
  • Load the drivers to communicate with the hardware to be able to execute the upgrade process outside of Windows. For example, SATA controller drivers to communicate with your SATA HDD or SSD. And at the same time, upgrade the drivers from the old Windows 7 driver model to the new Windows 10 one, and do the switch without corrupting things.
  • Successfully detect all your hardware and install the latest drivers based on what it has built-in, or use the Windows 7 drivers installed, and once you first startup and are connected online, Windows update will kick-in for updating them, and install anything missing that it found to not be compatible (if it was a critical hardware for the setup, say SATA controller, than you probably would face with an upgrade error of some kind, same for chipset, and other things). Hence, why (based on this and previous point)  I said it was important to upgrade your drivers to the latest version, despite switching OS after.
  • Re-install all your programs WITHOUT having access to the original installer. (this is where program can disappear after an upgrade (Windows also can purposefully skip a program if it known it will 'cause trouble (has a black list), which it never tells you about. MS goes with the logic that, if you really need it, you'll notice and install yourself, and troubleshoot any problems. It can also simply skip it if has no information for the reinstall process and can't figure it out).
  • and possibly more things

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Well not to that level. The upgrade process is a complicated procedure, as it needs to do a lot of stuff behind. Some of the things are (beside moving your current install of Windows into Windows.old folder, transfer your personal files, and extract the new version of Windows:

• Transfer accounts information
  • Transfer the registry and upgrade everything in it related to Windows, security software, drivers, and convert to configuration new models
  • Communicate with every Security software it detects to tell them not to freak out, Windows is upgrading (which for some A/V is a constant problem, others never).
  • Load the drivers to communicate with the hardware to be able to execute the upgrade process outside of Windows. For example, SATA controller drivers to communicate with your SATA HDD or SSD. And at the same time, upgrade the drivers from the old Windows 7 driver model to the new Windows 10 one, and do the switch without corrupting things.
  • Successfully detect all your hardware and install the latest drivers based on what it has built-in, or use the Windows 7 drivers installed, and once you first startup and are connected online, Windows update will kick-in for updating them, and install anything missing that it found to not be compatible (if it was a critical hardware for the setup, say SATA controller, than you probably would face with an upgrade error of some kind, same for chipset, and other things). Hence, why (based on this and previous point)  I said it was important to upgrade your drivers to the latest version, despite switching OS after.
  • Re-install all your programs WITHOUT having access to the original installer. (this is where program can disappear after an upgrade (Windows also can purposefully skip a program if it known it will 'cause trouble (has a black list), which it never tells you about. MS goes with the logic that, if you really need it, you'll notice and install yourself, and troubleshoot any problems. It can also simply skip it if has no information for the reinstall process and can't figure it out).
  • and possibly more things

alright well luckily i have been steadily organizing my massive amount of files into a single big organized and easily navigated folder system. 1-2 of which are just program installers and their relevant saves/projects ect. so the big questions are.

1. if i upgrade can i stay activated? 

2. if it goes wrong how do i go about activating a fresh windows 10 install?

3. what functionality do you loose on windows 10 with not being activated?

I've experienced win 7 without activation before. get a pop up every 15 mins telling you to buy a key. i hope to never go through that again. 

Win 10 without activation just leaves a slight watermark saying unactivated in the corner and you can't change the desktop background really... everything else is normal.

5 hours ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

1. if i upgrade can i stay activated? 

Your Windows 7 license will remain valid. So you can install Windows 7 back if you want, no problem.

2. if it goes wrong how do i go about activating a fresh windows 10 install?

When you do a clean install of Windows 10, it will ask you for a product key at some stage. You'll have the option to pick "I don't have one", click on that, as the setup will only work for Windows 10 keys. Then once Windows 10 is installed and you are online, now you go to Start > Settings > Windows & Update > Activation, and enter your Windows 7 key, and Windows 10 should activate.

If you link your main account to a Microsoft Account one, then your product key will be stored on Microsoft servers, so in the future, you just repeat the step above, but instead of going to Settings and all that, you get to do nothing.. just sign in to your Microsoft account, and Windows 10 will pull the key from Microsoft servers, and activate automatically, making your life a bit easier.

3. what functionality do you loose on windows 10 with not being activated?

I don't know for sure. But it should be similar to Windows 7 after the trial period of Windows 10 ends. I read it is less annoying than 7. Some claim to be fine using it like this daily.

thank you @GoodBytes, this is all very useful information. the one last thing i must know is if i activate windows 10 and use my Microsoft account will it mess with my laptop and it's key? i would assume not but at this point i can't be sure.

49 minutes ago, tryhard techy1169 said:

thank you @GoodBytes, this is all very useful information. the one last thing i must know is if i activate windows 10 and use my Microsoft account will it mess with my laptop and it's key? i would assume not but at this point i can't be sure.

Nope. :)