Can I use a laptop PCIe SSD connection, for something else?

Xanthe_2871

Hi, the laptop I'm considering buying has a PCIe SSD, and a regular hard drive. If I install some SSD or just use the hard drive, can I remove the PCIe SSD and use that slot for something else, like a graphics card or something? O.o

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

A laptop 'PCIe' is just an M.2 slot with PCIe bandwidth. You can put a bluetooth or wifi adapter there but because it's a laptop, there's no point as it will already have those capabilities. I'd just leave the PCIe SSD as a boot drive/application drive and use the other slot as file storage.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Sure you can, there are lots of people doing exactly that with an intel NUC, the only thing you have to remember is that the port is most likely not a standard PCI slot but an m.2 slot.
The issue is that you will have to keep your laptop open constantly and it needs to be slightly elevated to leave room for the m.2 to pcie card and the pcie riser you need to connect.

Example with an Intel NUC can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/JHoIy

EDIT: Granted, this only works if the m.2 port is not under the keyboard but on the backside of the laptop, but it is in most cases...

5 minutes ago, cynexit said:

Sure you can, there are lots of people doing exactly that with an intel NUC, the only thing you have to remember is that the port is most likely not a standard PCI slot but an m.2 slot.
The issue is that you will have to keep your laptop open constantly and it needs to be slightly elevated to leave room for the m.2 to pcie card and the pcie riser you need to connect.

Example with an Intel NUC can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/JHoIy

EDIT: Granted, this only works if the m.2 port is not under the keyboard but on the backside of the laptop, but it is in most cases...

I had no idea that we even a thing. That's pretty cool, albeit impractical.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

42 minutes ago, cynexit said:

-SNIP-

I guess it's bad that I am annoyed that they haven't done the easy solution for that to make that work with the lid closed, by cutting a small hole into the lid, so you the end of the extender is flush(ish) with the lid and then use it like that in a way where you could easily swap the GPU if you want and also for the fun of it

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more