I built a PC for someone else.

Daniel Z.

Here is the PCPP. I get that there are some questionable build choices, but the person doesn't game and needs redundant 2tb storage. The build itself was way easier than my build, but the software stuff was hard af. First windows install, some windows reserved stuff got on one of the HDDs so I had to fix that. In the process, I broke the windows so I installed again, this time physically reversing the SATA connectors of an HDD and the SSD so the SSD would be disk 0. I got it to work so I did the storage spaces thing and now it works! Please add some driver suggestions, I will post pictures when I get time.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4400 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($68.99 @ PC Canada) 
Motherboard: MSI - H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($84.50 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($87.74 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Crucial - BX300 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($114.75 @ Amazon Canada) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.25 @ Vuugo) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($74.25 @ Vuugo) 
Case: Corsair - 270R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.99 @ Memory Express) 
Power Supply: EVGA - 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($48.50 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $617.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-01-03 16:09 EST-0500

Mobo comes with own drivers.

Memory doesn't need drivers.

CPU drivers... Don't know of any for AMD? Mobo included?!?

Storage: doesn't need drivers.

Case: doesn't need drivers.

Power supply: doesn't need drivers.

iGPU might need drivers, I use AMD, so not sure for Intel crap.

User might need driving lessons.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Mobo comes with own drivers.

Memory doesn't need drivers.

CPU drivers... Don't know of any for AMD? Mobo included?!?

Storage: doesn't need drivers.

Case: doesn't need drivers.

Power supply: doesn't need drivers.

iGPU might need drivers, I use AMD, so not sure for Intel crap.

User might need driving lessons.

I installed the MSI Live Update utility for the Intel Network and graphics stuff.

Seems like you are done my friend!

If you want to add stuff, start up the browser. (or a different browser) Visit different sites, and check which plugins you might need. You might want to look for other usefull software, but in the end, it's up to the "someone else". They might consider it bloatware.

Just now, Dutch-stoner said:

Seems like you are done my friend!

If you want to add stuff, start up the browser. (or a different browser) Visit different sites, and check which plugins you might need. You might want to look for other usefull software, but in the end, it's up to the "someone else". They might consider it bloatware.

I installed Chrome because I think he uses it.

Install the latest chipset drivers perhaps but also update the motherboard BIOS, if you haven't already. Also, I'm not clear about this part:

First windows install, some windows reserved stuff got on one of the HDDs so I had to fix that. In the process, I broke the windows so I installed again, this time physically reversing the SATA connectors of an HDD and the SSD so the SSD would be disk 0.

Just now, johnukguy said:

Install the latest chipset drivers perhaps but also update the motherboard BIOS, if you haven't already. Also, I'm not clear about this part:

I don't wanna update BIOS for the fear of breaking something. He wouldn't need it anyways. Basically, I installed windows but some of the files went on the HDD, thus making storage spaces impossible. I accidentally broke the windows when I was trying to fix it so I reinstalled and moved around the SATA connectors so windows would detect SSD as disk 0. Now it works.

1 minute ago, Daniel Z. said:

I don't wanna update BIOS for the fear of breaking something. He wouldn't need it anyways. Basically, I installed windows but some of the files went on the HDD, thus making storage spaces impossible. I accidentally broke the windows when I was trying to fix it so I reinstalled and moved around the SATA connectors so windows would detect SSD as disk 0. Now it works.

A Windows install shouldn't be putting any files on different drives. Try doing a clean install, with only the boot/OS drive connected. It might seem like it's working now but I can just about guarantee that it will have problems later on, if I'm understanding what's happened correctly.

4 hours ago, johnukguy said:

A Windows install shouldn't be putting any files on different drives. Try doing a clean install, with only the boot/OS drive connected. It might seem like it's working now but I can just about guarantee that it will have problems later on, if I'm understanding what's happened correctly.

I reinstalled and I fully went on the SSD. I formatted both HDDs too.

I meant that I reinstalled windows

In that case I'd suggest using something like Ninite, not for drivers necessarily but for all the bits and bobs that most people will need on their systems. The RAM that you bought also overclocks well usually, so that might be another thing you want to try.

1 minute ago, johnukguy said:

In that case I'd suggest using something like Ninite, not for drivers necessarily but for all the bits and bobs that most people will need on their systems. The RAM that you bought also overclocks well usually, so that might be another thing you want to try.

k cool thanks