First ever PC build.

Hey all,

So im currently buying all my parts, week by week. I have my MSI R7 250 here and im currently waiting on my Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming mobo and my CoolerMaster MasterBox Lite 5 (I know, crappy airflow, but after watching Luke's videos where he shoved a fucking wardrobe and some boxes into the build and seen virtually NO change in thermals, im not too worried about these components.)

but im having some real difficulty deciding on a PSU and the RAM i want to use. 

I plan on using a Ryzen 5 1600 for this build and before anyone has a go at me for the crappy specs im picking, this build is specifically for streaming my PS4 gameplay with OBS and an Elgato, so while i would like to put more money into other aspects of the build, i need at least some money for the nessacary peripherals such as a mic, mic stand and a webcam (oh, and that elgato i mentioned). Everything else is taken care of but i really dont know what to do with a power supply i just about know the difference between modular and non-modular and all that jazz so if anyone has any useful information on what i should get, please please please inform me because next weeks shopping list is supposed to include the PSU the RAM and maybe a better CPU cooler than the included Wraith with my CPU if thats even necessary, as i wont really be OC'ing this baby.. 

Welcome to the forums!

Where are you located? I can give you links for a good PSU and RAM in the US or really any other country

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Those aren't crappy specs at all(except for maybe the GPU but it doesn't have to be fancy in your use case).

The differences between modular and non-modular PSUs is that non-modular PSUs have all the cables permanently attached whether you need them or not. Semi-modular only has the CPU and ATX power connectors permanently attached. Fully-modular has nothing permanently attached.

I prefer semi-modular personally, I think a CX450M would be good enough for your build. Probably 8Gb of RAM will be enough, go for the cheapest kit of 16Gb to be safe. The Wraith CPU cooler will be just fine.

Welcome to the forums!

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Welcome to the forums!

Where are you located? I can give you links for a good PSU and RAM in the US or really any other country

Thanks for the welcome! and I live in Ireland my friend 

Usually, the cheapest decent PSUs are the CX450/M, Pure Power 10 400W or the Vengeance 400W. Use the PSU tier list, pick a tier 1-3 PSU. 

Semi modular means the cables you might not need are removable, fully modular means all the cables are removable, and non modular means none of the cables are modular. 

The only way to know if a PSU is decent is to actually look at the data from a proper review. 

The stock cooler is fine for overclocking, the motherboard you chose isn't really. Light overclocks should be fine. 

RAM recommendations depend on the location, but ≥2800MHz, ideally. 

Cases can affect the temperature of the internal components by quite a bit. Gamersnexus does proper testing.

:)

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Those aren't crappy specs at all(except for maybe the GPU but it doesn't have to be fancy in your use case).

The differences between modular and non-modular PSUs is that non-modular PSUs have all the cables permanently attached whether you need them or not. Semi-modular only has the CPU and ATX power connectors permanently attached. Fully-modular has nothing permanently attached.

I prefer semi-modular personally, I think a CX450M would be good enough for your build. Probably 8Gb of RAM will be enough, go for the cheapest kit of 16Gb to be safe. The Wraith CPU cooler will be just fine.

Welcome to the forums!

Yeah i grasped the difference but i didnt know if there were any other upsides to having either or, such as better reliability or whatnot. And could you link to a good set of ram on newegg? Thats where im trying to get everything as the shipping and tax into iteland from amazon on a 30€ case was over 102 euro... disgusting.. whereas the same case on newegg was only slightly less disgusting at 40 euro shipping 

Jaysus lads this place is amazing.. i posted this same request on pcpartpicker forums and am yet to recieve a reply (even a condecending one) two weeks later....

Just now, John | QualityNugs_Gaming said:

Thanks for the welcome! and I live in Ireland my friend 

Yeah I got a couple links for you.

You might not need 16GB RAM, so I'll link one for 16 and one for 8

https://www.custompcparts.ie/crucial-ct8g4dfd8213-8gb-ddr4-2133mhz-memory-module.ireland.direct.gaming.components

https://www.komplett.ie/kingston-hyperx-fury-16-gb-dimm-2400/20753706/product?s2m_product_id=20753706

And grab this power supply.

https://www.custompcparts.ie/be-quiet-pure-power-10-400w-400w-black-power-supply-unit.ireland.direct.gaming.components

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Jaysus lads this place is amazing.. i posted this same request on pcpartpicker forums and am yet to recieve a reply (even a condecending one) two weeks later....

I would say giving people build advice is one of the strongest features of the LTT community :)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, seon123 said:

That is odd. I was being general, most semi-modulars only have the CPU and ATX connector

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

That is odd. I was being general, most semi-modulars only have the CPU and ATX connector

I'd say that's the case recently, but in the past a lot of semi modulars had the PCIe or even SATA / Molex connectors hardwired.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I would say giving people build advice is one of the strongest features of the LTT community :)

Yeah it seems like it! 

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

And thanks for the links man, but check out this VAT!!! http://prntscr.com/hval0c its even worse on the RAM at over 70 GBP which is a LOT more in EUR

And thanks for the links man, but check out this VAT!!! http://prntscr.com/hval0c its even worse on the RAM at over 70 GBP which is a LOT more in EUR

I don't think the number in parentheses () is the VAT though. That's the price before paying VAT which I'm sure shops are forced to display in the EU. You'd be paying the shown price + shipping (hopefully it's not a lot of money on shipping).

If you're wondering why the RAM is so absurdly expensive, we're going through a very harsh dRAM shortage right now which has spiked prices to over double what they were a year ago. It sucks but that's as good as you'll probably do these days :/

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Uhm... how can the GBP price translate to the exact same price in EUR when the conversion rate is 1 > 0.89??

http://prntscr.com/hvamr2

Huh you're right, that's so weird.

You might as well pay on euro though, it'll be cheaper

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I don't think the number in parentheses () is the VAT though. That's the price before paying VAT which I'm sure shops are forced to display in the EU. You'd be paying the shown price + shipping (hopefully it's not a lot of money on shipping).

If you're wondering why the RAM is so absurdly expensive, we're going through a very harsh dRAM shortage right now which has spiked prices to over double what they were a year ago. It sucks but that's as good as you'll probably do these days :/

Oh ive been hearing about this RAM situation lately... sucks so bad man and really? lemme add these to cart real swift and find out cause those prices would such but id probably do it anyway if i have no other choice hahaha

Just now, Energycore said:

Huh you're right, that's so weird.

You might as well pay on euro though, it'll be cheaper

Oh ill definately be paying in EUR thats for sure lol

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

You were so right and im praising god right now http://prntscr.com/hvap8a

And is this supposed "slowdown" by using 2133mhz for Ryzen really worth writing home about?? http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3506202/ryzen-1600-noticable-difference-2133-2400-ram.html

It's only if you're playing games on that computer. The RAM will work alright since you're only running the capture software and encoding (still though try to run it at 2400)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Energycore said:

It's only if you're playing games on that computer. The RAM will work alright since you're only running the capture software and encoding (still though try to run it at 2400)

Thats a relief lol, also whats dual-channel RAM? I know its two DIM's in whatever slots the mobo manufacturer specifies but does it have a benefit or is it literally just more raw RAM??

14 minutes ago, John | QualityNugs_Gaming said:

Thats a relief lol, also whats dual-channel RAM? I know its two DIM's in whatever slots the mobo manufacturer specifies but does it have a benefit or is it literally just more raw RAM??

well it actually has benefit, less ram sticks means better stability. I got a quote for that as well from Linus "but again, a dual channel configuration is recommended for better stability" (From the Video "Ryzen Build Guide")

Edited by Ordinarily_Greater
forgot the information

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

well it actually has benefit, less ram sticks means better stability. I got a quote for that as well from Linus "but again, a dual channel configuration is recommended for better stability"

So wait, does more or less mean more stability? lol

Just now, Ordinarily_Greater said:

well it actually has benefit, less ram sticks means better stability. I got a quote for that as well from Linus "but again, a dual channel configuration is recommended for better stability"

That's dual channel against quad iirc though.

14 minutes ago, John | QualityNugs_Gaming said:

For some applications where you need a ton of memory bandwidth it's relevant, for your application it might not but it doesn't hurt to get 2 sticks if your motherboard has 4 slots.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler