Limetech unRaid alternatives.

Lean18

Im in progress of creating a minecraft server, for me and my friends to f*ck around on, i dont want it to cost much, and tbh, cost anything, exept for the hardware itself. As unRaid costs money and i dont want to spend money on it, is there a free alternative or some unlimited time demo version for it ? I basically need to be able to get into the pcs HDD from my main pc to edit the files and start/stop the server.jar file that it runs off of.

If it's just a minecraft server, why don't you run a linux distro like Debian or CentOS?

Does it need to be headless (no monitor, GPU, keyboard or mouse)?

You can run a file server from a linux distribution such as that, and a graphical web interface can be acquired by installing webmin, which will then allow you to configure a SMB file server to access the hard drive of the server to manage the server files. Then, in order to start and stop the server, you could use ssh to remotely connect to a command line session, and screen (command line software to allow sessions to run in the background) to keep the server running when you aren't connected?

Of course, you could just use windows, and remotely connect to it via RDP or VNC, and use windows file sharing, but that's less fun. 

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

If all you need to host is Minecraft, there's literally a Linux-based operating system for that. You should try out MineOS https://minecraft.codeemo.com/ which will allow you to easily manage your server through a web interface.

Of course as @cox1000 said, you could just install any Linux distro and set up SMB, but if you want it to be simple, MineOS seems like the best option.

My main computer:

i7 6700k || GTX 1070 || Asus Z170 RGB || C.M. Hyper 212 EVO || 16GB RAM || 256GB NVMe SSD || 500GB SATA SSD || 12TB total HDD || Define R5 Blackout || 850W PSU

More Details Below :) 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k                             GPU:  EVGA GTX 1070 FTW                                  |  Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Aura
CPU Cooler: C.M. Hyper 212 EVO             RAM: 16GB Kingston Fury 4x4 DDR4 2400MHz         SSD:  Intel 256GB NVMe SSD & Plextor 500GB SATA SSD

Hard Drive:  WD 2TB Black, 2TB WD Blue, 8TB WD Red     Case:  Fractal Design Define R5 Blackout Edition   PSU:  Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W

Additional Computer Parts: NZXT Hue for LEDs

Peripherals: Dell U2414H (x2) || Corsair Sabre RGB || Corsair K95 Platinum || Sennheiser 558's || Modmic

Pictures of setup:

Hmmm. thanks for the replies! Ill try out those later on. Basically all i needed was those 2 things, and it wouldve been nice if it had web interface. 

I didn't previously know it existed, but the package suggested by @njmyers3 looks like a good place to start. If you run into problems with that, you could set everything up using another linux distribution, from scratch.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.