Upgrading Scrapyard Wars Style

shea99

So my current system 

CPU: FX 6300

GPU: HD Radeon 7770

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance (I believe it may be DDR3)

MOBO: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0

SSD: Samsung 850 500gb (Got it for a steal so took it)

HD: WD 1TB

I also use some crappy smart tv as a monitor 

So my question is if im looking to upgrade what should i look at first and an obvious choice is the GPU.

Gaming has never been my biggest draw to PC's however i would like to start and while ive light gamed on the machine before playing BF4 and Watch Dogs as the most demanding games.

Now my budget is where the title comes from as money isnt exactly in great supply. I am also looking into overclocking the machine when i get back to uni (where the machine is)(Have a Hyper 212 Evo) 

I have a couple of hundred GBP £300 at the most possibly.

The games im looking into playing are csgo, Pubg and similar titles.

Any help is much appreciated

Are you in a hurry? If not, I suggest you wait a little bit for the coffee lake pentium gold cpus (2c 4t) and lower end LGA 1151 V2 boards. Cpu+mobo+8gb ram should cost around £150 leaving room for something like a 1050 ti

EDIT: of course you could go used. If you want to you could look for a 2500k based upgrade, and you wouldn't even need new ram.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

8 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Are you in a hurry? If not, I suggest you wait a little bit for the coffee lake pentium gold cpus (2c 4t) and lower end LGA 1151 V2 boards. Cpu+mobo+8gb ram should cost around £150 leaving room for something like a 1050 ti

EDIT: of course you could go used. If you want to you could look for a 2500k based upgrade, and you wouldn't even need new ram.

I was thinking of going used parts tbh but not a bad suggestion 

7 minutes ago, Kota317 said:

used 970 in the states is 150$. and you can get a 4770k/mobo/ram/heatsync combo for probably 300$ if your willing to try and flip some stuff 

Well i have seen some 960's knocking around for about £40 and most 970's are going for a little over £100 But i have seen some for around £90

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

46 minutes ago, shea99 said:

I was thinking of going used parts tbh but not a bad suggestion 

Yeah I noticed a little late hence my edit:

of course you could go used. If you want to you could look for a 2500k based upgrade, and you wouldn't even need new ram.

And then maybe go for a 970 to add on.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

After a little scanning ive found someone selling an i3 6100 with some micro atx board, with 8gb Ram DDR4 and a gtx 1050ti. Not asked about the price yet but may ask if hell part out the 1050 to me 

EDIT: Ive also found this which sounds like a steal if in full working condition but unfortunately due to me selling my car id have no way of collecting it https://www.gumtree.com/p/desktop-workstation-pcs/i5-gtx-970-gaming-computer/1281040428

I live in the UK too, the prices are very inflated for some of these parts! Better to go with shipping from America to save a few.

2 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

This really is a steal in my opinion. But I would recommend the 780ti which is faster and only £5 more:

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SGRANVIGTX780TI3GA

Also, this i7 3930k is £35 less:

https://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SCPUINTI73930K

This is the mobo(a bit more expensive but still under £300)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Intel-X79-Motherboard-USB-3-0-ATX-DDR3-ECC-DDR3-WiFi-OC-ATX-LGA-2011-SY/282705089604?hash=item41d2895444:g:IFUAAOSwC-tZ7dP2

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy.