Linux: 2 GPU's Second GPU not out putting to my monitor

Hello,

So I decided to switch back to Linux (Solus: Mate), as the game support has gotten a lot better. I have 2 GPU's one is a GTX 580 ASUS 1.5GB GDDR5(main GPU), and the second is a GT 730 EVGA 1GB GDDR5. When I was on windows the Second GPU was working and outputting to my monitor but with Linux that seems to have not worked. Could anyone tell me if it is possible to output from a Second GPU, and if it is then how would I go about that?

PC Specs;

CPU: FX 8150

RAM: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz

Sound Card: ASUS GDX

GPU 1: GTX 580 ASUS 1.5GB GDDR5

GPU 2: GT 730 EVGA 1GB GDDR5

Thanks

Steven

question i do need to ask: why is that second GPU even there?

beyond that.. the joy of linux and its driver funkyness doing its work. if this stuff would work without days of troubleshooting i'd be right there on linux with you.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

question i do need to ask: why is that second GPU even there?

beyond that.. the joy of linux and its driver funkyness doing its work. if this stuff would work without days of troubleshooting i'd be right there on linux with you.

Well, it's a bit of a story. I had a spare GPU the GT 730, and my main GPU the GTX 580 only has 1 HDMI, 2 DVI-I, and 1 Display Port. I did not have a DVI-I cable or a Display Port cable, but I did have an extra HDMI. So I grabbed my extra GPU and put it in my PC. So the problem was solved until I decided to use Linux, I thought Linux would have great support for multiple GPU's, as Linux dominates the server industry.

None of my monitors support display port or DVI-I. I had an adapter DVI-I to VGA, but Linux will not output the correct resolution of my monitor, I tried manually adding the resolution with xrandr but just kept giving me errors. It's a real shame, I think the only thing I can do is either buy another GPU or go back to Windows. I've searched all across the internet to see if there is a solution to this issue, I can find it.

I've also tried multiple different distros such as; Ubuntu 16.04.3, Antergos GNOME, Solus Mate, as I though it might be an issue within the distro but nope.

4 minutes ago, Encrypt said:

as Linux dominates the server industry.

last time i checked they still used VGA in the server world, and only use beefy GPU's for purpose-made rendering applications.

also, while nvidia's drivers for linux are surprisingly okay performance wise.. they lack A LOT of features. i'm sure you can get it to work, but as it stands i've removed the dedicated GPU from my home server, just because intel graphics arent as problematic, and i'm not doing anything graphical anyways.

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

last time i checked they still used VGA in the server world, and only use beefy GPU's for purpose-made rendering applications.

also, while nvidia's drivers for linux are surprisingly okay performance wise.. they lack A LOT of features. i'm sure you can get it to work, but as it stands i've removed the dedicated GPU from my home server, just because intel graphics arent as problematic, and i'm not doing anything graphical anyways.

Well thanks for your input, I'll post in the thread if I have found a solution.

Thanks

Steven