PC Upgrade

Attona
  • Ok, so I have a bit of a problem. I've been wanting to build a gaming pc, and i've even posted my build here, however it turns out my budget is a little lower than i thought. I have a budget of roughly $600 now. So from here, i have 2 options.

1. Build a pc from scratch, using the x370 Mobo I got for christmas. (Ryzen 3 1200, 1060 3gb)

2. Upgrade the old workstation PC to save a little money, but make a build from scratch later. (Core i3 2120, 1070/1070ti)

For both builds, i will buy a thermaltake 500w PSU, a NZXT s340 elite case, and 8gb RAM

BUILD 1 PROS:

• Brand new Ryzen 4 core cpu
  • DDR4
  • Better Upgrade-ability

BUILD 1 CONS:

• Worse GPU

BUILD 2 PROS:

• Better GPU
  • I can always take the GPU, case, and PSU, and put them in a new build I make later, that exceeds the performance of build 1

BUILD 2 CONS:

• Fairly substantial CPU bottleneck
  • DDR3

Please help me figure out which I should do. Thank you

Had a custom pc, but I traded it for a Razer Blade 15 with a RTX 2070

12 minutes ago, Attona said:

no one should buy a 3GB 1060, likely look for an RX 580 in the same price point

if you're just gaming at 1080p you don't need anything better than a 580, should just go for the ryzen build most likely.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

no one should buy a 3GB 1060, likely look for an RX 580 in the same price point

if you're just gaming at 1080p you don't need anything better than a 580, should just go for the ryzen build most likely.

My question wasn't If I should buy the 1060 3GB or not. I want to know which build I posted is better. Not to mention the 1060 3GB is going for about $200, and the RX 580 is going for $275 at the lowest, which would make my build go overbudget

I have the 1060 6GB and it runs everything fine, so as long as you're staying at 1080p the 3GB should be fine, if you have issues with a game just dial back some settings, simple as that

12 minutes ago, Attona said:

My question wasn't If I should buy the 1060 3GB or not. I want to know which build I posted is better. Not to mention the 1060 3GB is going for about $200, and the RX 580 is going for $275 at the lowest, which would make my build go overbudget

Then I would suggest saving/waiting for a sale on a 580/1060 6GB, as the 3GB 1060 has no place in this world

very sad that GPU prices are back to being way too high

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Then I would suggest saving/waiting for a sale on a 580/1060 6GB, as the 3GB 1060 has no place in this world

very sad that GPU prices are back to being way too high

I want to have a working gaming system now, and not wait. I just want to know which build is a better option, not your opinion on whether or not the GTX 1060 3gb is a good card or not.

13 minutes ago, Attona said:

I want to have a working gaming system now, and not wait. I just want to know which build is a better option, not your opinion on whether or not the GTX 1060 3gb is a good card or not.

Already answered it, Ryzen, though you may want to consider an R5 1400 + 1050ti, if you're only gaming at 1080p you'll still be pretty alright with that tier of GPU.

Although Ryzen+ is coming soonish as well, hoping for it hitting 4.5ghz on average

Are you going to be gaming at 1080p 60hz?

Spoiler

Go for your ryzen build. You already have a motherboard and it should be able to kill games at 1080p and maybe poke games at 1440p. I recomend and Streetguru to get the 1050ti if all you are doing is 1080p and a ryzen 5 1400 as it will be less of a bottleneck. The i3 2100 build is really bad as it will totally bottleneck the gpu and you will not even be able to play games at 1080p at 60 fps.

But all you asked was which build is better and (obviously) the ryzen one should do you good. 

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wake me up if I sleep again like Oppy. 

52 minutes ago, SimpleTechVids said:

Go for your ryzen build. You already have a motherboard and it should be able to kill games at 1080p and maybe poke games at 1440p. I recomend and Streetguru to get the 1050ti if all you are doing is 1080p and a ryzen 5 1400 as it will be less of a bottleneck. The i3 2100 build is really bad as it will totally bottleneck the gpu and you will not even be able to play games at 1080p at 60 fps.

But all you asked was which build is better and (obviously) the ryzen one should do you good. 

I don't really think dropping from a 1060 3gb to a 1050 ti is a great idea... Every spec on the 1050 ti is worse, except for the VRAM, but that doesn't matter much for 1080p. And i know the cpu wil be a bottleneck in the 2nd build, but that build isn't meant to be a permanent build, just somehting temporary, until i buy a cpu and ram, then i could put the GPU into that. 

33 minutes ago, Attona said:

I don't really think dropping from a 1060 3gb to a 1050 ti is a great idea... Every spec on the 1050 ti is worse, except for the VRAM, but that doesn't matter much for 1080p. And i know the cpu wil be a bottleneck in the 2nd build, but that build isn't meant to be a permanent build, just somehting temporary, until i buy a cpu and ram, then i could put the GPU into that. 

Sure, if you have the budget though to get both Ryzen 5 and the 1060 3gb, it would be killer at 1080p and you could try at 1440p for 30fps

Used to be everywhere in LTT forums, had a break which lasted apparently 1 year LOL. 

Gonna get up againnnn.

1 hour ago, Attona said:

If you want better upgradability go for the first build, if you want have just enough fascinating experience go for the second build

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

3 hours ago, SimpleTechVids said:

Sure, if you have the budget though to get both Ryzen 5 and the 1060 3gb, it would be killer at 1080p and you could try at 1440p for 30fps

I'm really going for 1080p right now. My question is, should i really go to ryzen 5 for multi-threading for a gaming PC?

8 minutes ago, Attona said:

I'm really going for 1080p right now. My question is, should i really go to ryzen 5 for multi-threading for a gaming PC?

yeah, it is a great value if you are doing multi threaded workloads

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

You do not need the ryzen 5 for 1080p gaming, but it would be amazing for the price as Ordinarily_Greater said:

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

So it would be better overall.

Gonna get up againnnn.

1 minute ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I will be using this PC for only gaming, and games don't really take advantage of those threads, right?

Well, most need 4 cores to run, but the i3 does feature hyperthreading so it should be fine. If you go for it, upgrade later on so you don't completely bottleneck the GPU.

Gonna get up againnnn.

1 minute ago, SimpleTechVids said:

If you go for it, upgrade later on so you don't completely bottleneck the GPU.

Yeah, if i did build 2, I was definitely gonna upgrade to a ryzen system later. Now way I'm gonna keep a 7 year old CPU in a gaming system longer than I need to.

Just now, Attona said:

Yeah, if i did build 2, I was definitely gonna upgrade to a ryzen system later. Now way I'm gonna keep a 7 year old CPU in a gaming system longer than I need to.

so yeah if you want to do things other than gaming with the PC (streaming) the Ryzen option will do you nicer than the i3

and yeah the i3 will do you nice if you are only gaming

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

So overall, go with build 2, upgrade later to ryzen+ perhaps and then you should do great, playing at maybe 1440pxD

Gonna get up againnnn.

Just now, SimpleTechVids said:

So overall, go with build 2, upgrade later to ryzen+ perhaps and then you should do great, playing at maybe 1440pxD

Would it be worth it to wait for ryzen+, or should i just upgrade to Ryzen when I can?

Wait until it is released, or consider going for Intel's newer processors.

Gonna get up againnnn.

Just now, SimpleTechVids said:

Wait until it is released, or consider going for Intel's newer processors.

I'm definitely sticking with AMD, unless Intel makes a better value CPU than AMD, which i don't think will happen soon.

Just now, Attona said:

I'm definitely sticking with AMD, unless Intel makes a better value CPU than AMD, which i don't think will happen soon.

Sure 

Gonna get up againnnn.

Wait for the Ryzen+ to be released then you should consider which to get.

Gonna get up againnnn.

13 minutes ago, Attona said:

Would it be worth it to wait for ryzen+, or should i just upgrade to Ryzen when I can?

it will be obvious to worth the Zen+ to release

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :