WINDOWS 10 ON PENTIUM 4 REJUVENATION

MELEZZOR

Hey guys...I have a 12 year old P4 670 HT 3.8GHz which I cloned way back in 2006 ,packed away 5 years ago, whicht I want to rejuvenate. The following are the HW spec:

MB: Gigabyte GA-8AENXP-D https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8AENXP-D-rev-1x#ov

CPU: PENTIUM 4 670 3.8GHZ HT

MEM: CRUCIAL 4GB DDR2 (X2)

HDD: WD 350 GB(recently got it on free)

VGA: GIGABYTE GT-710 (Got it on free too)

PSU: 350W Stock.

Currently,it's on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate installed about 4 years ago. Want to upgrade the O.S to Windows 10 Fall 32bit and set it up in the hall for the kids to use.

My question is: How effective will it be on Windows 10 32bit Fall ? 

Regards.

download Windows 10 and see, i'd also suggest adding an SSD, an SSD really helps those old machines, I put an SSD into a computer from around those specs (may actually be the same CPU).

Looks like that CPU has support for NX (XD) Bit so it should at least install...32bit should work, but 64bit most likely won't due to missing features (LAFH//SAHF)

Not worth it tbh.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Definitely,Windows 10 64bit is out of the question due to those missing instruction sets.

That's unusual... I have an old machine with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 from around 2005 and it runs the 64-Bit version of Windows 8.1 very well. It may run Windows 10 but I never tried it.

Just now, TheCherryKing said:

That's unusual... I have an old machine with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 from around 2005 and it runs the 64-Bit version of Windows 8.1 very well. It may run Windows 10 but I never tried it.

Actually I used the Windows 10 upgrade advisor and confirmed that it can only run on 32bit which is okay,btw...but just want to be sure if the HW can take the load of Windows 10 generally without any issues.

1 minute ago, MELEZZOR said:

Actually I used the Windows 10 upgrade advisor and confirmed that it can only run on 32bit which is okay,btw...but just want to be sure if the HW can take the load of Windows 10 generally without any issues.

How do the instructions of that Pentium 4 and an AMD processor from the time compare?

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Just want to say Windows 10 32bit Fall Creators Update has been running smoothly on the above configurations for last 4 weeks,from my post.

But have noticed periodical lagging which is understandable, being a Single Core CPU.

Incase someone know of any tricks to tweak a P4 on Windows 10 Fall further,let me know. 

PS: My Power Option setting is on High Performance mode; with most of Visual Effect settings turned off. 

Main Apps include: 

Office 2016 : Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher

HW Monitor

Share.it

obit's Advanced System Care & Driver Booster only.

Games include:

NFS 2005 & few retro ROMS from NES,SNES and SEGA

Just now, MELEZZOR said:

Hi All, 

Just want to say Windows 10 32bit Fall Creators Update has been running smoothly on the above configurations for last 4 weeks,from my post.

But have noticed periodical lagging which is understandable, being a Single Core CPU.

Incase someone know of any tricks to tweak a P4 on Windows 10 Fall further,let me know. 

PS: My Power Option setting is on High Performance mode; with most of Visual Effect settings turned off. 

Main Apps include: 

Office 2016 : Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher

HW Monitor

Share.it

obit's Advanced System Care & Driver Booster only.

Games include:

NFS 2005 & few retro ROMS from NES,SNES and SEGA

...and lastly, the PC is up-to-date on all latest drivers 

On 30-12-2017 at 8:39 AM, TheCherryKing said:

How do the instructions of that Pentium 4 and an AMD processor from the time compare?

The AMD CPU has a much more modern instruction set. AMD chips have all the required instructions for 8.1 and 10 since the release of the Athlon 64 in 2003. Intel chips have the required instructions since Prescott-2M from 2005.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

go to control panel - large icons - system - (in the sidebar) advanced system settings - performance settings - adjust for best performance

that will turn off a lot of animations, which will make Windows 10 a lot more usable on such an old system. 

it helps my Atom-based tablet a lot. 

She/Her

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, thanks a lot guys!!! Am really grateful. The kids are really enjoying it and will build them a new one once they are used to the PC concept.