Strange Issue

tezza192

Ill try and keep this simple as its a bit of an odd one but would appreciate anyones input.....this has me stumped.

System Spec - I54690 / RX460 / Asus H81K / 120 SSD / 500w PSU

> I have a new build from budget old gen parts (but new stuff) and its exhibiting a problem. Every game crashes,, no matter what i play and i play alot of old and new games. The screen goes blank and it kicks me to Windows after a min or so. It basically exhibits all the symptoms of an unstable overclock (yet my RX460 is at stock) - I have windows updated / drivers updated all the usual stuff but issue happens 100% of the time. 

I tested my GTX1080 in the new build and it worked fine - I therefore assumed I had a faulty RX460 which is fair enough - ill RMA it it so no problem. The issue is my RX460 works fine in my main rig - no crashes and no issues. The 1080 out my main rig works fine in the problem PC -   This is confusing me. 

I will say he only difference in the 2 cards is the RX460 is powered by the PCIe bus only. It doesnt need additional PCIe power cables.Its almost like the motherboard isnt delivering enough power to the RX460 through the slot - My 1080 seems to be getting enough juice from the PSU so doesnt exhibit issues. The RX460 works fine in the main rig - just keeps crashing on my new budget rig. 

What do you guys reckon? - potential faulty motherboard? Any help or suggestions appreciated. 

Strangely, both my wife's video card and mine do something similar.  Hers: XFX AMD RX 480, Mine: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980.

Mine is some factory overclocked thing, so I just reduced the clockspeed to stock 980 reference speeds and it works fine.  I enjoy gaming too much to go without the card to do the RMA process.

My wife's is stock speeds, but undervolting it slightly in the AMD software stabilized everything.

Not sure if this is a quality control thing or what.  This might not even be related, but it was the case for me on 2 different cards / platforms / brands.

I'd do what Paul is suggesting and undervolting to see if it resolves your issue.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor