eMMC Interface?

Scheer

Is there a standard for the interface for eMMC? Flash drives go over USB, SSDs over SATA or PCIe, eMMC over ___?

I have a eMMC chip that is soldered onto a half height mSATA sized card, and it fits in my mSATA USB enclosure, but neither Windows or Linux, or any partition managers I've tried will recognize it. I'm looking for a way to clone the drive, the chip is a SM662 from Silicon Motion and best I can tell it has the controller in the MMC package, so its not like it is only the flash storage on the mSATA card. http://www.siliconmotion.com/EW_Pages/Ferri-eMMC_Product Brief.pdf

MVIMG_20171228_095207.thumb.jpg.0e1cc3c8865fe807a40e09ea6b916b30.jpg

On 12/28/2017 at 4:21 PM, Scheer said:

I have a eMMC chip that is soldered onto a half height mSATA sized card, and it fits in my mSATA USB enclosure, but neither Windows or Linux, or any partition managers I've tried will recognize it.

Does it show up in the device manager? Also are you sure the usb enclosure is mSATA not m.2?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 9:21 AM, Scheer said:

Flash drives go over USB, SSDs over SATA or PCIe, eMMC over ___?

eMMC *is* the bus interface. It's very similar to the standard MMC interface, though it's had some tweaks since development of standard MMC stopped. Same as you can have embedded SD which is just a soldered chip using an SD bus interface.

If you want to desolder the chip then you'd use an eMMC bus with the eMMC 5.0 protocol to talk to it. You'd have to check with SM what the pinout is though.

Not sure why your enclosure isn't working. Does the card need 12v, since a USB enclosure wouldn't provide that? Or maybe it's not using the standard (Intel) pinout, since that Silicon Motion chip is meant for industrial use? Not sure what that mSATA board is from.

Easiest way to clone it is probably just to get an mSATA to PCIe adapter, but that might take time to ship.