Corsair ML fans, yay or nay?

papes

Is there some hidden con to these fans that I'm not aware of, because they seem great for the price. I'm looking at the twin pack of 140mm fans to replace my current two stock 120mm intake fans. 

2 minutes ago, papes said:

Is there some hidden con to these fans that I'm not aware of, because they seem great for the price. I'm looking at the twin pack of 140mm fans to replace my current two stock 120mm intake fans. 

They're good units but they are locked into the Corsair Link system for RGB control so it won't be able to sync with other RGB systems unless with some modifications.

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

They're good units but they are locked into the Corsair Link system for RGB control so it won't be able to sync with other RGB systems unless with some modifications.

Oh I didn't even realize there was an RGB variant, I don't think they're available here. I was speaking of the ones without lighting, that come in a twin pack. The reason I posted this is because I don't see them recommended very often, so I figured there might be something holding them back.

2 minutes ago, papes said:

Oh I didn't even realize there was an RGB variant, I don't think they're available here. I was speaking of the ones without lighting, that come in a twin pack. The reason I posted this is because I don't see them recommended very often, so I figured there might be something holding them back.

They're decent fans not very amazing but alright, if your looking for silence there are some better options out there such as the NF-F12 fans and Gentle Typhoons. 

2 hours ago, W-L said:

They're decent fans not very amazing but alright, if your looking for silence there are some better options out there such as the NF-F12 fans and Gentle Typhoons. 

Noctua 120mm 1500rpm fans, vs Corsair 140mm 2000rpm fans? I'm sure it's not just a numbers game, but could you explain why you would recommend the Noctua fans? (Gentle Typhoons are hella expensive here).

3 hours ago, papes said:

Noctua 120mm 1500rpm fans, vs Corsair 140mm 2000rpm fans? I'm sure it's not just a numbers game, but could you explain why you would recommend the Noctua fans? (Gentle Typhoons are hella expensive here).

First it depends if your needing 120mm or 140mm fans, but in terms of silence and performance the Noctua fans and others out there would be a better option if you don't need the RGB. 

For 140mm options the Noctua NF-A14 and ones such as the Fractal Design Venturi's are both good options especially if your intake has filters or any type of restriction. 

Where are you planning to use the fans?

What's your budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where are you planning to use the fans?

What's your budget?

I'm currently using a Phanteks P300 with two 120mm intake fans (salvaged from a BitFenix Prodigy), and the provided Phanteks exhaust fan. I wish to replace the two intake fans, and potentially the exhaust in future.

My build is budget oriented, with a G4560 and a GTX 960, so I'm trying to get some good bang for buck fans. My budget is flexible, the ML140 fans at $60 NZD for the twin pack seemed like a good way to replace my intake fans on a budget. The Noctua NF-A14 fans are $40 NZD a pop, and 120mm Noctua fans are around $35 NZD each. Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 are $20 NZD, Pure Wings 3 are $35 NZD. This is the site I use to search.

I would like to save money if possible, $30 NZD per fan seems reasonable. I don't need LEDs, I'm getting a Phanteks LED strip to fill that hole.

5 minutes ago, papes said:

I'm currently using a Phanteks P300 with two 120mm intake fans (salvaged from a BitFenix Prodigy), and the provided Phanteks exhaust fan. I wish to replace the two intake fans, and potentially the exhaust in future.

My build is budget oriented, with a G4560 and a GTX 960, so I'm trying to get some good bang for buck fans. My budget is flexible, the ML140 fans at $60 NZD for the twin pack seemed like a good way to replace my intake fans on a budget. The Noctua NF-A14 fans are $40 NZD a pop, and 120mm Noctua fans are around $35 NZD each. Be Quiet! Pure Wings 2 are $20 NZD, Pure Wings 3 are $35 NZD. This is the site I use to search.

I would like to save money if possible, $30 NZD per fan seems reasonable.

PW2's are a better value if you just want quieter fans. 

Apaches are also good if you want a bit more performance instead: http://techworld.co.nz/akasa-apache-black-140mm-case-p-47068.html?osCsid=340d6f9170a64d2618c7a459d197d824

A single 120m rear exhaust and 140mm front intake should be enough already. If you're not moving to much drastically more power hungry components and don't mind the colors, I'd suggest a NF-S12A for the rear and a NF-A14 for the front.

https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1690560

https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=2009308

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

6 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

-snip-

Thank you so much for your help.

2 hours ago, W-L said:

-snip-

And thank you also, W-L.