Old Linux Set Top Box with Internet, ideas ?

Guest Generallee
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
16 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Hello everyone, today we changed for an iptv based subscription and got rid of our old VU+ Solo set top box, it's basically a Linux machine with a hard drive, an HDMI port, usb ports and ethernet. I know that this thing is not particularly powerful (yet it can decode and output 1080p)but what uses can i find for this thing ? Can't find anything on the internet. I've thought about turning it into some kind of server or dedicated DVR, does anyone have any kind of experience with these machines ? Picture below

image.png.261960462379b717a78cb9995e824d19.png

Enigma2 has a lot of plugins available so you can do a lot with it but it also has it's downsides too.

These boxes run a very barebones Linux kernel with Enigma2 acting as the GUI, problem is Enigma2 is ground up designed around set top boxes and therefore is very basic in what it can do. Expect nothing but text and menu based GUIs. You can however use SSH to install and configure everything headless assuming you're ok using terminal.

Also a lot of plugins available don't work very well and in some cases can crash your box entirely.

Basically these things make good set top boxes and are OK streaming/IPTV boxes but are not great for anything else, sure it's possible but it's a far from the ideal setup.

Check out www.techkings.org for more info on the box.

Hello everyone, today we changed for an iptv based subscription and got rid of our old VU+ Solo set top box, it's basically a Linux machine with a hard drive, an HDMI port, usb ports and ethernet. I know that this thing is not particularly powerful (yet it can decode and output 1080p)but what uses can i find for this thing ? Can't find anything on the internet. I've thought about turning it into some kind of server or dedicated DVR, does anyone have any kind of experience with these machines ? Picture below

16 minutes ago, Generallee said:

Enigma2 has a lot of plugins available so you can do a lot with it but it also has it's downsides too.

These boxes run a very barebones Linux kernel with Enigma2 acting as the GUI, problem is Enigma2 is ground up designed around set top boxes and therefore is very basic in what it can do. Expect nothing but text and menu based GUIs. You can however use SSH to install and configure everything headless assuming you're ok using terminal.

Also a lot of plugins available don't work very well and in some cases can crash your box entirely.

Basically these things make good set top boxes and are OK streaming/IPTV boxes but are not great for anything else, sure it's possible but it's a far from the ideal setup.

Check out www.techkings.org for more info on the box.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)