WD MyPassport 1TB No Longer Identified; File Explorer Freezes when trying to access

Hi!

I have recently upgraded my internal storage, and was trying to make a backup of my data.  I plugged in a WD MyPassport 1 TB to my USB 3.0 port, left the drive in a stable position on my desk, started the file transfer, and left.  When I came back the next morning, I saw all sorts of errors, and the drive was no longer accessible.  

Now, when I plug the drive into any USB port on any PC (tried 3 devices), it shows up in file explorer as "local disk" but there is no storage info, and after trying to access for some time (you can hear the drive spinning, and it lights up), file explorer freezes.  The drive never shows up in disk manager (disk manager shows no drives if you try to open it when the external HD is plugged in). and chkdsk doesn't find the filepath.

I have tried multiple restarts and different devices.

I suspect that my PC may have gone to sleep during data transfer lastnight (although I believe my settings were to not do that, and my data transfer should have been done by then), and caused an unexpected removal of the drive during data transfer.

At this point, I am NOT trying to get my data back; I have 2 1 TB drives in my PC, 1 with all my data. I was going to set up a RAID with them, and wanted to move all my data off first.

I AM trying to see if I can restore the hardware itself, so that I don't have to buy a new drive.

Anything else I can try? googling this issue did not seem to find meaningful results beyond the "try this new free magicfix software download free" variety.

Thanks in advance.  System specs are in my profile.

Update: After waiting a long time, file explorer responded enough that I could right click and format the drive.  That format was not successful; however, the drive now shows up disk manager as a "RAW" volume. I am currently pending the format for about 30 minutes.  Would it take this long over USB 3.0 for a 1TB spin drive?

if you go to disk management in Windows, what's the partition layout of the drive? 

She/Her

Disk Management will not finish opening if I have the drive already connected via USB (just gives a blank screen then stops responding)

If I have Disk Management open and then I plug the drive in, it never shows up.  All my other drives do.