OS question

Stevo80

I currently have a G4400 3,3 GHZ and a GT 730 2GB DDR5 GPU

Tomorrow I'll upgrade to a i5 7400 and a GTX 1050ti 4GB DDR5

Question is: Will I need to reinstall Windows when I change those 2 parts? I mean, I'm not changing my HDD or motherboard, so I guess not? Also, I googled it and it turns out that if I change a CPU to a more "drastically" or "extremely" better CPU I will HAVE TO reinstall my OS, is that true and does it apply to GPUs as well? 

Again...

CPU: from Pentium G4400 to an i5 7400

GPU: from a GT 730 2GB to a GTX 1050ti 4GB

thanks.

You shouldn't need to reinstall windows.

I've swapped those two parts in the past and just needed to change video card driver.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

No, you won't need to reinstall. You'll need an additional reboot for the CPU and GPU to reconfigure themselves properly and that's it. Same drivers and everything. You need a reinstall sometimes when you upgrade your mobo.

Word of warning: if you have a 100 series motherboard (H110, B150, H170, Z170), update your BIOS before upgrading the CPU.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

No, you won't need to reinstall. You'll need an additional reboot for the CPU and GPU to reconfigure themselves properly and that's it. Same drivers and everything. You need a reinstall sometimes when you upgrade your mobo.

Word of warning: if you have a 100 series motherboard (H110, B150, H170, Z170), update your BIOS before upgrading the CPU.

Definitely the bolded part or you won't be able to boot and you'll have to swap the CPU again and update the BIOS so save yourself the trouble and do that first. I would say even if you have a 200 series board, still update the BIOS :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Definitely the bolded part or you won't be able to boot and you'll have to swap the CPU again and update the BIOS so save yourself the trouble and do that first :)

Edited accordingly ;)

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

I didn't need to reinstall Windows when I changed my CPU and motherboard, and when I upgraded my GPU all I had to reinstall were GPU drivers.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

@NelizMastr I have a H110M-HDV R3.0 so I need to update bios. Can you tell me how? Or put a link so I can go check that out?

1 minute ago, Stevo80 said:

@NelizMastr I have a H110M-HDV R3.0 so I need to update bios. Can you tell me how? Or put a link so I can go check that out?

You can download it here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H110M-HDV R3.0/#BIOS

Pick the version you want. The Instant Flash is done from the flash utility in your BIOS, this is the safest way. You'll need to unpack the files to a usb drive formatted FAT32.

Disregard the DOS one.

The Windows one flashes from your existing Windows installation. If Windows craps out during the flash, your board is bricked. This is the easiest method however.

Would it be better if I just gave my PC to a local electronics shop since I'm already buying the parts from them? I would just tell them to mind what they're doing and upgrade my bios before installing.