Reset cMOS now video card dosn't work

Arixl

So i'm building my first PC i needed to reset BIOs settings so i took out the battery in the mother board powered it on then it reset by itself (idk why) i turned it back off put the battery back in then i had no video from my card at first i thought the card was just being funny so i tried the card from my old PC and still nothing monitor just says no connection i've tried using the integrated GPU but still nothing Mother board is z370 extreme4 i can't change the bios setting to try and get my card working again because well i have no picture at a bit of a loss, i didn't even get up to installing windows =[ 

6 minutes ago, Arixl said:

So i'm building my first PC i needed to reset BIOs settings so i took out the battery in the mother board powered it on then it reset by itself (idk why) i turned it back off put the battery back in then i had no video from my card at first i thought the card was just being funny so i tried the card from my old PC and still nothing monitor just says no connection i've tried using the integrated GPU but still nothing Mother board is z370 extreme4 i can't change the bios setting to try and get my card working again because well i have no picture at a bit of a loss, i didn't even get up to installing windows =[ 

1) Unplug the wall power from your PSU

2) Remove the battery from the board

3) WAIT for at least 30 seconds, preferably a minute or two

4) Replace battery and plug

5) Try booting again

FTR this is the procedure for resetting a cmos, no need to touch the power button at all until you've finished.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, Arixl said:

so i took out the battery in the mother board powered it on

Wait, you powered the system back on while the battery was gone? I've seen a couple of mobos die from that. I can only assume you didn't actually read the mobo manual on how to reset the CMOS, because they always tell you to remove the power-plug from the PSU so you can't even accidentally turn the computer on.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

1) Unplug the wall power from your PSU

2) Remove the battery from the board

3) WAIT for at least 30 seconds, preferably a minute or two

4) Replace battery and plug

5) Try booting again

FTR this is the procedure for resetting a cmos, no need to touch the power button at all until you've finished.

Alright i'll be back in a few minutes i'll tell you how it goes.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Wait, you powered the system back on while the battery was gone? I've seen a couple of mobos die from that. I can only assume you didn't actually read the mobo manual on how to reset the CMOS, because they always tell you to remove the power-plug from the PSU so you can't even accidentally turn the computer on.

i didn't read the manual no, i didn't think it would be harmful to power it without the battery in, i guess i was very wrong.

1 minute ago, Arixl said:

i didn't read the manual no, i didn't think it would be harmful to power it without the battery in, i guess i was very wrong.

Well, let's hope nothing broke and resetting CMOS the correct way as Master Disaster there pointed out fixes it!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

It really shouldn't be, wall power overrides the battery as long as it's connected, the battery is only used when the system is unplugged hence why you have to unplug it to do a cmos reset.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

It really shouldn't be, wall power overrides the battery as long as it's connected, the battery is only used when the system is unplugged hence why you have to unplug it to do a cmos reset.

That's how it should be, but like I said, I have actually seen a couple of mobos die permanently from it. Granted, it was ~10 years ago, so not very recent mobos, but it did happen.

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

No luck same thing, the LEDs on the GPU work but that's it (same as before)

No luck same thing, the LEDs on the GPU work but that's it (same as before)

Well, proceed with the usual troubleshooting steps of: use only one RAM-stick and check your mobo manual where it should be seated, double-check that you didn't accidentally unplug any cables or that they're not loose, re-seat the GPU.. If you have any friends, ask them if they'd be willing to test if your GPU works in their systems and if you could try theirs in yours.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Well, proceed with the usual troubleshooting steps of: use only one RAM-stick and check your mobo manual where it should be seated, double-check that you didn't accidentally unplug any cables or that they're not loose, re-seat the GPU.. If you have any friends, ask them if they'd be willing to test if your GPU works in their systems and if you could try theirs in yours.

i have an older card laying around i can use to test (gtx 760)

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

unplugged one of the ram sticks only leaving one in i wasn't sure where i was meant to leave the single ram i looked in the manual but didn't find anything about single ram and what one it needs to be in i double checked if the plugs are connected nice and tight and i tried the older card in my new PC and same thing it just says no connection on my monitor, i can't really test the new card in my old PC as it's broken.

13 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

i should also mention i followed the instructions on how to reset CMOS correctly and it did the same thing when i turned on the PC it turns on then resets it self not sure why.

2 minutes ago, Arixl said:

i should also mention i followed the instructions on how to reset CMOS correctly and it did the same thing when i turned on the PC it turns on then resets it self not sure why.

When it resets does it stay on or go off? How long have you waited for it to boot? Any debug code leds?

When it resets does it stay on or go off? How long have you waited for it to boot? Any debug code leds?

it just resets like turns off few maybe 2 seconds then turns back on, the only LED out of place is the LED BIOS which was on before this issue it's been going from when i first got the PC built.

17 minutes ago, Arixl said:

it just resets like turns off few maybe 2 seconds then turns back on, the only LED out of place is the LED BIOS which was on before this issue it's been going from when i first got the PC built.

Try turning it on and waiting for a few minutes, some boards will power cycle a few times after a reset before they post. This is totally normal.

Try turning it on and waiting for a few minutes, some boards will power cycle a few times after a reset before they post. This is totally normal.

alright i'll try do it now i should also mention the BIOS LED stays on even when the PC is turned off and my monitor just says "no signal detected" when i power my PC

Just now, Arixl said:

alright i'll try do it now i should also mention the BIOS LED stays on even when the PC is turned off and my monitor just says "no signal detected" when i power my PC

What board is it?

What board is it?

z370 extreme4

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

it's been on for about 10 minutes now and no visible changes.

35 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What board is it?

what do i do now?

6 minutes ago, Arixl said:

what do i do now?

Probably buy a new mobo.

7 minutes ago, Arixl said:

what do i do now?

Take it to a local computer shop, explain exactly what happened and ask them to diagnose the issue for you as they'll have parts they can swap in for testing purposes.

If the board is new and it is the problem you should be able to issue an RMA with either the retailer or Asrock but you need to know the board is at fault first.

Take it to a local computer shop, explain exactly what happened and ask them to diagnose the issue for you as they'll have parts they can swap in for testing purposes.

If the board is new and it is the problem you should be able to issue an RMA with either the retailer or Asrock but you need to know the board is at fault first.

okay, thanks for helping the troubleshoot <3

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

Probably buy a new mobo.

thank you too =]