Very small space in Local Disk C:

jakouu1

Please help, today I downloaded a 3GB application on my computer (before downloading disk C: had 10GB/100GB). When it installed, my C: disk free space went down to 325MB/100GB. Then I Uninstalled the application and deleted it's files, and also ran a disk cleanup program, and then my C; disk space went to 7GB /100GB. I know that this isn't a big deal, since I was dealing with 10GB left anyway, but I just get stressed everytime i open the file explorer and see that red bar. What is taking up that much space anyway? Where did the 3GB left?
I use windows 7.

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post.
Thanks for helping :)

What kind of application was it? Was the file size 3gb or did it say that it was the final size of the install? Generally, programs will take up more space then what the download or file size is since it unpacks itself to install. Also, that 3gb missing, if it was the program that you downloaded, wouldn't the file or installer be taking up that space?

Just now, shwiftyrift said:

What kind of application was it? Was the file size 3gb or did it say that it was the final size of the install? Generally, programs will take up more space then what the download or file size is since it unpacks itself to install. Also, that 3gb missing, if it was the program that you downloaded, wouldn't the file or installer be taking up that space?

That was a .zip file, then i extracted it to a folder using winrar. There was an installer in the folder but I didn't launch it, just when i extracted i saw the space problem, and deleted both the folder, and the winrar .zip file.

check all temp directories. 

one is at

C:/windows/temp

and the other one in the user directory - should be: 

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Temp

you will see a ton of crap left in these folders even after you told windows to "clean temporary files" 'n' stuff ... you have to delete that shit by hand. 

1 minute ago, KenjiUmino said:

check all temp directories. 

one is at

C:/windows/temp

and the other one in the user directory - should be: 

C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Temp

you will see a ton of crap left in these folders even after you told windows to "clean temporary files" 'n' stuff ... you have to delete that shit by hand. 

i deleted it but that only contained about 50MB

3 minutes ago, JakovFromTheMoon said:

That was a .zip file, then i extracted it to a folder using winrar. There was an installer in the folder but I didn't launch it, just when i extracted i saw the space problem, and deleted both the folder, and the winrar .zip file.

Was the zip folder 3gb or the extracted folder size 3gb?

2 minutes ago, shwiftyrift said:

Was the zip folder 3gb or the extracted folder size 3gb?

both

Just now, JakovFromTheMoon said:

both

Interesting...

That's pretty weird. That doesn't really explain all of that space gone. Honestly I don't know what's going on then. But I know your struggles with the red bar though.