New GPU, noticable screen tear on YouTube

MrTingles
Go to solution Solved by MrTingles,

Oh, my. Finally!

After switching out motherboards, reinstalling the old HD6850, getting nowhere, switching back, almost going through with a complete re-install of Windows, I finally found an answer...  Buried somewhere in a different tech forum i found a person saying that turning on "any Aero theme on Windows 7" would fix AMD GPU issues of this sort, and it turns out, in fact, that the most esoteric, cryptotechnical solution I think anybody could've come up with, actually works. well, Jeebus McCreebus, and butter my biscuit, why don'tcha...

Now, If I was actually tech savvy, and not just flying by the seat of my pants here, I would probably be interested in why exactly this worked, but to be totally honest...

fgsfds

I'm fairly new to building PCs, the rig I have running now has been going for (I don't remember) 8+ years, has had some stability issues which most likely have to do with the CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 955) or the Motherboard (Asus M4A87TD Evo) overheating or just bad luck, with random bluescreens, not even under load, noticably more frequently during the summer. But anyway, I had a Radeon HD6850 755M for that time and have only recently scrounged together what I could and bought an MSI RX560 4GB OC, literally a day before the news about the RX560s broke, but that's not why I'm even writing on here (sheesh!). With the old HD6850 I would of course notice shitty FPS and screen tearing in games, but YouTube never gave me much trouble, with only 1080p60fps getting all janky. However, since I popped in the RX560, I've noticed horrible issues with screen tearing on basically every YouTube video, regardless of resolution etc.

I tried googling, but only saw NVidia troubleshooting guides, so I'm kinda at my wit's end personally, all I can guess is that it's either the new GPU (or the drivers, which are up to date) being too new for the rather ancient motherboard, which is about to be replaced with an Asrock 970 Pro3 2.0 (I'm waiting for some cooling paste for the CPU), or that my TV monitor is having some sort of trouble keeping up, or sending interpretable data regarding its refresh rate...

So what I'm saying is: HALP!

What monitor are u using? Sometimes the refresh rate is 59.?. And the video card and monitor just don’t like each other and won’t match.

try this and let us know

I got tearing and fixed it by going into nvidia settings and set vsync to “fast”.

LG M237WDP-PC - LCD monitor - Full HD (1080p) - 23"

but I don't have an NVidia card, otherwise I would've tried the vsynch settings. AMD Radeon does have some sort of manual/custom resolution stuff, where I can play around, but I know way too little about vertical and horizontal synch gate timing or whatever to comfortably diddle with any of that...tho i've tried, and it didn't do much...

1 hour ago, Loadent said:

What monitor are u using? Sometimes the refresh rate is 59.?. And the video card and monitor just don’t like each other and won’t match.

Yeah, it might need to be adjusted in windows...

Also, is there any "dirt" in your PCI-Express slot?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

No trouble with the PCI-E, as far as i could detect. I've been futzing around a bit, but the only thing I could find was that the tearing is not nearly as bad in Opera, as it is in Chrome, and games seem to do fine, so maybe it's "one of those" situations, with some sort of infighting amongst drivers...tomorrow i'll reinstall the HD6850 to see if i just never noticed it and put more scrutiny on the new GPU or something...

swap didn't do anything, so i guess it's the monitor, which indeed seems to be 59hz...haven't had a chance to verify with a 60hz monitor yet.

What refresh rate options are available for your monitor?

You can see/change them like this (Windows 10):

Change display settings (search in the start menu) -> display adapter properties -> monitor.

If it is set to 59 try changing it 60.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

nah, already tried fiddling around there, it won't change it... it's a TV/monitor combo, LG M237WDP. windows 7 pro, btw.

welp, problem persisted on a different monitor, this time a dedicated PC monitor w/ 60hz...

anybody ever hear of HDMI cables causing things like screen tearing?

or maybe it really is some driver problem, or flash or something...?

T_T

right... i've had two crashes now with the screen just displaying noise for 3 seconds and then restarting... I used to get the occasional restart after a blue screen, but apparently now since installing the new GPU it's static noise instead...

the old MOBO has been the most likely culprit ever since i've had the PC, so hopefully the upcoming MOBO swap will solve some of these issues, i'm kinda tired of the haunting...

seems to be the monitor after all. idk. i plugged an Xbone in and it also had screen tear, although not as noticable, but in the same spots vertically on screen. whatever, i'm at my wit's end, so i'll just assume it's the monitor.

Did you update the bios on that old mobo before installing? Back when the Phenom II and Athlon II came out I was a AMD fan boy and AMD solutions Provider and my shop mostly pushed AMD builds.  Everyone  that has come back In for the RX series cards needed a bios flash to get things stable .  That GPU running in an older PCIe 2.0/1 slot and older CPU will definitely be bottlenecked as well.

hardware acceleration is on, yeah. been playing around with CRU as well, to no avail.

i didn't update the bios, it's a likely candidate as i did see the GPU only being shown as using x8 even when plugged into x16 PCIe, but at this point i'm basically waiting for thermal grease to arrive, to switch to the new MOBO, of which i don't even know if it works yet...

i guess i'll drop by again once i've done that, but i still don't get why i'd still get screen tearing with an Xbone plugged into the monitor (even though i had to really look for it).

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, my. Finally!

After switching out motherboards, reinstalling the old HD6850, getting nowhere, switching back, almost going through with a complete re-install of Windows, I finally found an answer...  Buried somewhere in a different tech forum i found a person saying that turning on "any Aero theme on Windows 7" would fix AMD GPU issues of this sort, and it turns out, in fact, that the most esoteric, cryptotechnical solution I think anybody could've come up with, actually works. well, Jeebus McCreebus, and butter my biscuit, why don'tcha...

Now, If I was actually tech savvy, and not just flying by the seat of my pants here, I would probably be interested in why exactly this worked, but to be totally honest...

fgsfds