PC Build Upgrades

Dektajo

Hello Guys,

I want to upgrade my gaming pc and know relatively little about builds. I play games at 3k and have been continuously upgrading my graphics card and thought that it is about time that I address the shortcomings of some of the other components. I have recently been a bit unhappy with my performance in games like PUBG and Witcher 3 and would you like to hit around 30 to 40 more FPS (Frames are most important for me). Currently I do not want to upgrade my GPU as I would like to wait for the next generation. Thus I would like to focus on the RAM and CPU primarily.

This is my current build:

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 (NON OC)

CPU: I7 4820K 4 x 3.7 GHZ (OC to 4.2 GHZ)

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 (4x 4GB)

Power Supply: 850W - BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro P10

Motherboard: Asus ROG Rampage IV Extreme

CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems inkl. BeQuiet! PWM

Would like to make the new components relatively high end but also open to any suggestions or help.

New Components I want to add:

Motherboard: Not sure yet (would like some advice but probably ROG MAXIMUS X FORMULA)

CPU: i7 8700 k or i7 7700 k

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB

I was also wondering if I would need to upgrade my power supply or cooling system with the new build or if it is fine as it is. Was also wondering what kind of FPS increase I could expect with the new parts? (I would be very interested in this) Thank you beforehand and I would really appreciate any feedback or advice regarding the parts and setup.

Just now, TrigrH said:

8700k system will give a noticeable performance boost over a ivy bridge quad core, PSU is fine.

How large would the performance boost be (either as a percentage or in frames)?

Just now, Dektajo said:

How large would the performance boost be (either as a percentage or in frames)?

since it is the fastest CPU in the market for mainstreams, boost will be as 20 FPS and more. But not worth the price of the i7-8700K plus Z370 board in my opinion 

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Do you mean 2160p by "3K"?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

2 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

since it is the fastest CPU in the market for mainstreams, boost will be as 20 FPS and more. But not worth the price of the i7-8700K plus Z370 board in my opinion 

Oke sounds good, how many frames could I gain from OCing the card?

1 minute ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Do you mean 2160p by "3K"?

2560 x 1440 is the resolution I mean.

1 minute ago, Dektajo said:

Oke sounds good, how many frames could I gain from OCing the card?

maybe around 10 xtra FPS, but for that 1080 you have 19xx MHz can be reached

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

9 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Final question is that with the CPU at base speed or OC?

8 minutes ago, Dektajo said:

2560 x 1440 is the resolution I mean.

Are you running into CPU bottlenecks at that resolution?

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage

#PCMasterrace

1 minute ago, Jonas_2909 said:

Are you running into COU bottlenecks at that resolution?

Don't think so but not entirely sure.

Just now, Dektajo said:

Don't think so but not entirely sure.

Maybe try and lower all the settings stressing the GPU rather than the CPU and see if you get noticably of a higher frame rate. If you don't, chances are, your CPU is holding your GPU back.

My gear:

#PCMasterrace

13 minutes ago, Dektajo said:

Final question is that with the CPU at base speed or OC?

sorry for the long wait of my reply, the 20 FPS boost/better gameplay in higher resolution can be obtained at stock speed. But if you were to overclock expect better results

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :