Floatplane Website error?

mankeez

Is floatplane's website available for us yet? Cause I've been able to create an account by linking it with my forums account very easily, and Linus said on yesterday's Wan Show that we would not be able to do this because "his account had been manually created by manually adding entries to the database". Should I not have signed up? pls get linus or luke here I dont want to get in trouble:ph34r:

The Floatplane site isn't really launched yet, but it has been used for live streaming on Bitwit Ultra so login is available. There's not much point signing up at the moment, but it's not a problem that you have.

HTTP/2 203

46 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

The Floatplane site isn't really launched yet, but it has been used for live streaming on Bitwit Ultra so login is available. There's not much point signing up at the moment, but it's not a problem that you have.

Oh cool

Btw, there is a point on signing up because in that site there are videos which are not avaliable neither here or on youtube. For example, Dale, the 2nd sleeper PC

Hey I just logged into floatplane.com, used other sign in methods and used my forum account, just want to communicate this to make sure you guys are aware that we can log in with that method.

From the previous comment it's there for the bitwit streams right?

Anyway, I'm not going to be using the site and I advise everyone to leave it alone so that the team can work on things. 

Good luck to the team over on floatplane, hope everything works out.

17 minutes ago, goshirn said:

Hey I just logged into floatplane.com, used other sign in methods and used my forum account, just want to communicate this to make sure you guys are aware that we can log in with that method.

From the previous comment it's there for the bitwit streams right?

Anyway, I'm not going to be using the site and I advise everyone to leave it alone so that the team can work on things. 

Good luck to the team over on floatplane, hope everything works out.

On the contrary, people should (at the very most) subscribe to Floatplane just like you and I, every $3 counts in the grand scheme of things. And who knows, the more that sign-up, the quicker it may be completed? At the very least, if 100 people signed up at $3 each, that would be a good chunk towards the operational expenditure costs for the hardware used to operate the website.

3 hours ago, ChristopherH said:

On the contrary, people should (at the very most) subscribe to Floatplane just like you and I, every $3 counts in the grand scheme of things. And who knows, the more that sign-up, the quicker it may be completed? At the very least, if 100 people signed up at $3 each, that would be a good chunk towards the operational expenditure costs for the hardware used to operate the website.

What I mean is don't use the website. But do sub and contribute to what will hopefully be a very good and needed platform.

2 minutes ago, goshirn said:

What I mean is don't use the website. But do sub and contribute to what will hopefully be a very good and needed platform.

im pretty sure they disabled it. as i tried to get onto the website and it said it was under maintenance..i really wanna see that 2nd sleeper video.. ill pay a buck right now to see just that. 

Hey guys, so I just did as you did mankeez, am in the UK. so I just got time to watch LLT, in fact I did go to the website by mistake 2 days ago! but I didn't login as I thought it was a completely different thing -facepalm-

I know am early in asking this, but its got to gain info as they show...so am currently subscribed to Linus Tech Tips on floatplane, if I wanted to subscribe to Bitwit ultra (or other channels) -which I can't browse yet- will this cost extra or is it covered by the original $3 price? I don't mind paying, but if we have to pay extra, who will set the price? the content creator or floatplane?
Cheers guys :) am so excited for everyone...

11 hours ago, goshirn said:

16 hours ago, goshirn said:

Your statements appear to be quite contradictory in nature. There's nothing wrong with using the site while it is under development, just don't expect people to jump at your support e-mail saying "this video isn't working" or "I can't find a video".

2 hours ago, ChristopherH said:

Your statements appear to be quite contradictory in nature. There's nothing wrong with using the site while it is under development, just don't expect people to jump at your support e-mail saying "this video isn't working" or "I can't find a video".

I don't see anything that is contradictory. Do not use the website floatplane.com, but subscribe to floatplane and watch videos here on the forum. I'm not telling people to not use the forum.

17 hours ago, Montyzone said:

will this cost extra or is it covered by the original $3 price? I don't mind paying, but if we have to pay extra, who will set the price? the content creator or floatplane?
Cheers guys :) am so excited for everyone...

Its pay-per-creator. Each creator is different price. Creators decide price, but there will be cut for FP media. Meaning that baseline might go up from current.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

22 hours ago, goshirn said:

I don't see anything that is contradictory. Do not use the website floatplane.com, but subscribe to floatplane and watch videos here on the forum. I'm not telling people to not use the forum.

I strongly disagree with your statement. Generally, websites are released in an Alpha/Beta "mode" to allow people to find bugs and report them, as more often than not, bugs sometimes can't be found until it goes live. Running a Beta version allows this fault-finding to take place. And if your read through my posts, I did at no point state that people should not use the forum. You said that people should leave FP alone, on the contrary, people should be using it more and reporting bugs that have not already been found. This is obviously dependent on LMG/FP creating a bug reporting tool.

1 hour ago, ChristopherH said:

I strongly disagree with your statement. Generally, websites are released in an Alpha/Beta "mode" to allow people to find bugs and report them, as more often than not, bugs sometimes can't be found until it goes live. Running a Beta version allows this fault-finding to take place. And if your read through my posts, I did at no point state that people should not use the forum. You said that people should leave FP alone, on the contrary, people should be using it more and reporting bugs that have not already been found. This is obviously dependent on LMG/FP creating a bug reporting tool.

The floatplane website is currently in pre-alpha, and isn't intended for general use yet.

HTTP/2 203

2 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

The floatplane website is currently in pre-alpha, and isn't intended for general use yet.

I didn't say that it was intended for general use. All I said is that people should report bugs if found.

I don’t understand what peoples problem is with using the website. If Luke didn’t want the website up due to security concerns etc he can easily take it down and I’m sure him or Linus would not have the website up and running if they explicitly did not want anyone on it.

It’s not going to effect development it being live either. Any professional software developer knows that the actual development will be separate and done locally and using task runners like Jenkins etc are used to automated deployment.

I think you guys should really go watch the last wanshow, it was pretty clear that Luke was very uncomfortable with showing the website and they said that this is pre-alpha and that we shouldn't use the website. The website being live does however offer advantages to development, like this they can easily go from system to system to check how stuff is working. 

Just use the freaking forum to watch Float plane. 

On 25.12.2017 at 11:36 PM, Marty88 said:

I don’t understand what peoples problem is with using the website. If Luke didn’t want the website up due to security concerns etc he can easily take it down and I’m sure him or Linus would not have the website up and running if they explicitly did not want anyone on it.

It’s not going to effect development it being live either. Any professional software developer knows that the actual development will be separate and done locally and using task runners like Jenkins etc are used to automated deployment.

If you care to browse forums bit more, you'd understand why there's such strong discomfort related. Newbies think that website is up and complain when it isn't working or they don't see any videos. Some might even spam official help email in frustration.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I understand both @goshirn's and @ChristopherH's opinions. However, I do have to lean a tad bit towards Chris's. One thing to note though, not all of the FloatPlane videos actually go on to floatplane.com. And, Linus said he disliked Floatplane.com because the editors--or whoever uploads the videos--don't use the built-in public and private tags. I would encourage the use of floatplane.com to report bugs and see how things are going, but not expect much from it. Not all the videos will be available, and not all of them will work. I wish Luke and Ajax and the rest of the team have the best of luck with Floatplane, and I can't wait to see released!

42 minutes ago, Rockingcreeper34 said:

I understand both @goshirn's and @ChristopherH's opinions. However, I do have to lean a tad bit towards Chris's. One thing to note though, not all of the FloatPlane videos actually go on to floatplane.com. And, Linus said he disliked Floatplane.com because the editors--or whoever uploads the videos--don't use the built-in public and private tags. I would encourage the use of floatplane.com to report bugs and see how things are going, but not expect much from it. Not all the videos will be available, and not all of them will work. I wish Luke and Ajax and the rest of the team have the best of luck with Floatplane, and I can't wait to see released!

I mean if you're using the site to try to help out and find bugs sure go for it, but what I was talking about was to the general population, not people like us that are interested in finding bugs and stuff like that. I've personally been in over 10 closed betas for games where I did a lot of bug reporting, but after being in those environments I say what I say because I think that "normal" people should not use the website yet. 

If you were to have played Quake Champions or been in the community for the past 6 months you would know how much shit the devs got because stuff didn't work properly while they were in open beta and then early access. They're slowly improving the game and making it amazing but people, even Quake diehards were basically saying the game was shit and no one should play it because of all the bugs and that also has happened in a lot of other games where I have also been involved in the beta, but not to the extent that it did happen in QC. Now everyone is fine with the game a coming back to it, but there's probably a lot of new people that just gave up because if people that have been playing quake for over 15 years say it's not worth it then why wouldn't you listen to them? So if someone that knows stuff and has lots of posts here starts to say the website is shit right now then people might unsub from floatplane and thus not support the team with the very needed income.

If you want to go to the website and quietly report bugs, go ahead, but I know how things go with betas and shit like that and I know that people are stupid and things go wrong, I was just trying to protect the team.

Alright, that clears things up alot. Thanks! And yeah, betas can be ruined by the general populace. I played the Closed Beta of Battlefront 1 but not the Open Beta because of the amount of people not understanding how such things work.

On 27/12/2017 at 12:36 PM, LoGiCalDrm said:

If you care to browse forums bit more, you'd understand why there's such strong discomfort related. Newbies think that website is up and complain when it isn't working or they don't see any videos. Some might even spam official help email in frustration.

I understand where your coming from with that. it was the way some people were explaining why you shouldn’t go on it was full on lies on how it would effect the website that’s all.

On 23/12/2017 at 10:01 AM, mankeez said:

Is floatplane's website available for us yet? Cause I've been able to create an account by linking it with my forums account very easily, and Linus said on yesterday's Wan Show that we would not be able to do this because "his account had been manually created by manually adding entries to the database". Should I not have signed up? pls get linus or luke here I dont want to get in trouble:ph34r:

You won't get in trouble :P

I think Luke or Linus mentioned it on this week's WAN Show, that you could sign up if you really wanted to or found out how to, but it's still buggy 

Will usually reply from 4pm - 2am GMT ish. Depends how late the WAN Show is :P 

What Antivirus does the LTT Comunity Use? | More to come soon...