DRAM Shortage as Price Fixing?

Wow! I'm sorry but you are beyond dense. There is no other way to put it. You really have no idea at all what you're talking about do you? You also completely ignore the fact that all of the RAM manufacturers have price fixed regularly, have been caught doing it and continue to do it. I feel genuinely sorry for you. You can't even understand what's written down in front of you.  How embarrassing.

9 minutes ago, johnukguy said:

Wow! I'm sorry but you are beyond dense. There is no other way to put it. You really have no idea at all what you're talking about do you? You also completely ignore the fact that all of the RAM manufacturers have price fixed regularly, have been caught doing it and continue to do it. I feel genuinely sorry for you. You can't even understand what's written down in front of you.  How embarrassing.

So all you have left is ad hominem. Yep, embarrassing - for you.

Far from it. I feel genuinely sorry for you. You are ignoring what's written in black and white, is a matter of historical fact and is something that all of the DRAM manufacturers have been repeatedly found guilty of. To deny this is simply beyond ignorant:

8 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Far from it. I feel genuinely sorry for you. You are ignoring what's written in black and white, is a matter of historical fact and is something that all of the DRAM manufacturers have been repeatedly found guilty of. To deny this is simply beyond ignorant

I never denied the past instances of price fixing among DRAM manufacturers.

• 3 months later...
On 11/4/2018 at 7:15 PM, MariaA said:

Necroing it as it's relevant and I was looking for information about how well known the price fixing is here and came across this thread. Kid, you got absolutely spanked. Accept it and move on.

The facts clearly demonstrate you are wrong; see below. No reason to necro a thread just to advertise your ignorance and inability to read.

On 26/12/2017 at 9:37 AM, Sakkura said:

The price fixing around 2000 was actual price fixing. It is clearly not standard practice as it obviously stopped and was punished.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 29.12.2017 at 12:27 PM, Sakkura said:

So you ran out of arguments?

There are 3 major DRAM suppliers.

There are 4 major NAND flash suppliers.

Fabs can't be quickly switched between making DRAM and NAND flash.

Price fixing in one area does not necessitate price fixing in the other.

Price fixing in either area has not been alleged by any reliable authorities, let alone proved.

I literally just made an account to call you out on your idiotic ignorance. You are a nitpicker that argues about wording instead of seeing the bigger problem.

https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-hynix-and-micron-dram-class-action-suit-collusion

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2018/04/27/class-action-suit-alleges-samsung-micron-and-hynix-colluded-on-dram-supply-causing-price-inflation/

The fine should be >10 billion dollars and should increase by 200% for every follow-up collusion to actually make them stop using this shady tactics. But I guess it will be another useless light wrist slap.

1 hour ago, user779 said:

I literally just made an account to call you out on your idiotic ignorance. You are a nitpicker that argues about wording instead of seeing the bigger problem.

https://hothardware.com/news/samsung-hynix-and-micron-dram-class-action-suit-collusion

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2018/04/27/class-action-suit-alleges-samsung-micron-and-hynix-colluded-on-dram-supply-causing-price-inflation/

The fine should be >10 billion dollars and should increase by 200% for every follow-up collusion to actually make them stop using this shady tactics. But I guess it will be another useless light wrist slap.

Speaking of idiotic ignorance... Look at the dates.

• 4 months later...

I don't know where the people pointing their fingers at Samsung, micron and Hynix are getting their data but...

https://www.dramexchange.com/

if 8gb of dd4 dram is 7 bucks~ and the difference between a dual and quad memory kit is like 20 -60 bucks you can be sure that gskill and corsair a fleecing the crap out of consumers.. who knows maybe RBG r&d is expensive?

most memory on the market is 2133mhz but overclocked via XMP.. so whether chips are actually binned or just restricted on the dimm from reaching higher speeds who knows. you cant even tell what dram they use anymore cause of the glued on heat spreaders which prior to a few years  ago were completely unnecessary. 

There is definitely fixing going on but I don't think its the big 3 dram makers

I mean, RAM pricing does seem to be going down the past few weeks / months.

Look at this G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 MHZ kit price history: (this is a very popular RAM kit).

If this keeps dropping, I might get myself some faster RAM around Black Friday.

Capture.JPG.cc0e6a8bc5562ccf525316376736ec93.JPG

13 hours ago, someguyfromlaniakea said:

I don't know where the people pointing their fingers at Samsung, micron and Hynix are getting their data but...

https://www.dramexchange.com/

if 8gb of dd4 dram is 7 bucks~ and the difference between a dual and quad memory kit is like 20 -60 bucks you can be sure that gskill and corsair a fleecing the crap out of consumers.. who knows maybe RBG r&d is expensive?

Well it says 8Gb, not 8GB... so that suggests an 8GB stick would cost $50-60 for just the memory chips, plus the cost of PCB and other components plus assembly.