Old motherboard, fixable?

JoeCoke

(Not sure if this was the right place to post this, heck it's probably better suited as a status update.)

Soo... Just wanting an opinion. I have this old system (1999 ibm iirc) that I'd like to get up and running again (nostalgia reasons). A few years ago a problem started where after about 15-30 seconds after reaching the desktop, it cuts off and restarts. It does this in the BIOS too, but not nearly as aggressively. Hell, I'm even able to completely make it through a Windows installation, but as soon as that desktop hits the clock starts ticking. Over the years off and on I've troubleshooted it. I've literally replaced every single part, CPU, GPU, RAM, HDD, heatsink, PSU, CMOS battery, different versions of windows, even the case to eliminate ANYTHING, so the problem is definitely with the motherboard. Does that sound like it could be something as simple as a bad cap? Most of the caps looks perfect, but two or three of them look a little rounded.

I'm just curious to hear other's thoughts. Do you think I could fix it by replacing the rounded caps? Or are there any other possibilities? I know absolutely nothing about board repair, so go easy on me. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

replacing caps might work, but you should change all of them.. so it is a gamble of time spent and cost of components vs maybe getting it running again...

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

21 hours ago, Changis said:

replacing caps might work, but you should change all of them.. so it is a gamble of time spent and cost of components vs maybe getting it running again...

Welp, I'll replace the shitty looking ones first. If that doesn't work I may or may not continue to try to resurrect it. I just want to see it running again so bad. 64MB of RAM, a 566mhz Celeron and Windows ME was my childhood. xD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Parts from these times have liquid electrolytes. Look for capacitors with "bloated" tops. First check with multimeter (No CPU, Ram, PSU connectors etc.) where exactly do they belong and group them into like 3 different categories (high voltage, high capacitance, something between) and order them in bulk. You never know when they can come in handy. 

@mariushm has experience with buying electrical parts

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Take some clear good pictures of the motherboard and the parts that don't look quite right to you (close-ups) and post them here (use macro mode on your camera if it helps)

I'll try to help if i can