Cross-platform cheap NAS

Go to solution Solved by Jaxder,
1 minute ago, kittyducky06 said:

i have 2 500gb so i was going to run RAID1

Nice. Well this one supports 2 HDDs, I'd go buy some 2tb WD Reds or Seagate IronWolf drives. They are designed to handle 24/7 operation.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108679&cm_re=nas-_-22-108-679-_-Product

I am looking to build/buy a cheap NAS that will work with Windows and mac 

also HDD are not included with price

Do you want this to do any sort of media processing like Plex?

Gaming Desktop: ASRock Phantom Gaming X, R9-3900x, 64GB RAM, 1.5TB SSD

NAS Box: Gigabyte Z97, i5-4690, 32GB RAM, 22TB, 1TB SSD Cache.

Think any of the QNAP's are now compatible, its just a issue of partition format, but you can stick to NTFS and just install NTFS-3G on your mac which I recommend doing anyways so you can keep all your drives in the same format.

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Jaxder said:

Do you want this to do any sort of media processing like Plex?

it is so i can have a always on server to hold photos for my family of 120gb macbooks

so my whole family can view them.

1 minute ago, Not_Sean said:

Think any of the QNAP's are now compatible, its just a issue of partition format, but you can stick to NTFS and just install NTFS-3G on your mac which I recommend doing anyways so you can keep all your drives in the same format.

or you get a nas with whatever filesystem, and make both an SMB share, and whatever apple uses for their network shares.

i'm pretty sure that most if not all prebuilt nas systems can do that for you.

my network shares are on a mixture of btrfs, ext4, and ntfs. and for the clients connecting to it.. its all the same.

2 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

it is so i can have a always on server to hold photos for my family of 120gb macbooks

so my whole family can view them.

How many HDD's do you want to have? Do you plan on doing any kind of RAID for disk-failure protection?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

or you get a nas with whatever filesystem, and make both an SMB share, and whatever apple uses for their network shares.

i'm pretty sure that most if not all prebuilt nas systems can do that for you.

my network shares are on a mixture of btrfs, ext4, and ntfs. and for the clients connecting to it.. its all the same.

agree but the guy wants a cheap one, Prebuilds ain't cheap. just a QNAP TS-2 bay are pretty cheap and come with really good features. 

But yes always an option 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

1 minute ago, Jaxder said:

How many HDD's do you want to have? Do you plan on doing any kind of RAID for disk-failure protection?

Nice. Well this one supports 2 HDDs, I'd go buy some 2tb WD Reds or Seagate IronWolf drives. They are designed to handle 24/7 operation.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822108679&cm_re=nas-_-22-108-679-_-Product

5 minutes ago, kittyducky06 said:

Linus also has some videos on UnRaid if you're interested in getting your computer to work doubletime as a computer and as a NAS box...

Just now, Jaxder said:

Linus also has some videos on UnRaid if you're interested in getting your computer to work doubletime as a computer and as a NAS box...

i have seen the video but i have a good PC already

i have seen the video but i have a good PC already

The point is to use the computer that you already own as a NAS box and as a regular computer without having to spend any more money than the just cost of the hard drives.

54 minutes ago, Jaxder said:

The point is to use the computer that you already own as a NAS box and as a regular computer without having to spend any more money than the just cost of the hard drives.

sorry then i forgot the videe. But i dont wont to leave my PC on all the time

get any prebuild synology NAS and you are ready to go, do yourself a favor and get NAS HDD´s, your 500gb HDDs will run out of space in no time anyways.

14 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

get any prebuild synology NAS and you are ready to go, do yourself a favor and get NAS HDD´s, your 500gb HDDs will run out of space in no time anyways.

looking for cheap and it is for photoes

than go for a two bay synology maybe even last years model as you dont need much power anyways, start with the two 500GB drives and upgrade when you need more space.

if you have Amazon prime you can also sync Photos into the amazon cloud straight from the Synology to have another backup.

i set this up for my mum to be more or less automatic for her, she puts her photos into a folder, this folder is synced to my synology and my synology syncs this to the cloud, works perfectly.

If you want a cheap $35/£35 NAS, you should use a raspberry pi. There is a specific software that can run local samba shares (can run using VON but i dont know how to do that.)  and a plex server. If you would like to use a raspberry pi, tell me and i will help you out.

On 12/21/2017 at 3:08 PM, DarkPlatinum said:

If you want a cheap $35/£35 NAS, you should use a raspberry pi. There is a specific software that can run local samba shares (can run using VON but i dont know how to do that.)  and a plex server. If you would like to use a raspberry pi, tell me and i will help you out.

SATA HDD

On 12/28/2017 at 5:31 AM, kittyducky06 said:

SATA HDD

I don't understand what you mean.