Cable/Display problem?

Crunchy Dragon

I have an older Dell monitor(not sure on exact model). The only input is VGA, and I got an HDMI to VGA adapter for my Raspberry Pi. Recently, it started having trouble getting a display to the monitor. On my Windows XP system it doesn't give any output through VGA(the only video out port on the mainboard), and on my main desktop(Gigabyte A68HM-DS2H mainboard, iGPU), it doesn't give an output via VGA or HDMI. However, if I use it on my Raspberry Pi it all works as normal. It also works via VGA and HDMI on my laptop. I would call it a cable problem except for the cable working on 2 of my machines.

Any thoughts as to what would cause this problem and why it won't work on half of my systems?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

That's weird, I would understand if it was a none-active HDMI -> VGA cause it's going Digital to analog. But if it's working on the RPI, if the converter is getting power from the HDMI connection, that may stop it from working on some devices. Or the monitor could be SyncOnGreen which means you're in a huge mess, but dell don't normally do SyncOnGreen.

20 hours ago, Nevexo said:

That's weird, I would understand if it was a none-active HDMI -> VGA cause it's going Digital to analog. But if it's working on the RPI, if the converter is getting power from the HDMI connection, that may stop it from working on some devices. Or the monitor could be SyncOnGreen which means you're in a huge mess, but dell don't normally do SyncOnGreen.

The problem has since been solved, I just haven't yet gotten around to labeling it as such. Apparently my PSU isn't sending enough power for the system to actually boot

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

3 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

The problem has since been solved, I just haven't yet gotten around to labeling it as such. Apparently my PSU isn't sending enough power for the system to actually boot

Sounds seketchy, glad it's fixed.