4770k temps

JamieF

I just overclocked my 4770k and it seems stable at 1.35v @ 4.5ghz. Only problem is when im stress testing (using prime 95), in the first 10 mins when everything was heating up 2 cores got up to 96 and 93 for a few mins. After, they went back down and all cores stayed at around 70-80c. Is this safe? i'm fine with up to 85c but if it's at 90+ just for a few seconds is that something to worry about? I know the stress testing might not be real world tests so I doubt it would reach that in games. Thanks!

Whats the current CPU heat sink you're using? You could try lowering the voltage and see if the chip stays stable. Even for a 4770k @ 4.5 ghz 90+ is a little high.

Sorry should of mentioned that in the first post. Using a 212 evo.

I tried 1.3 @ 4.5 and it blue screened so i'm not sure i'd be able to lower it too much.

For a 212 evo 90+ seems really high. Are you sure mounting and thermal compound are adequate?

The 212 evo has a TDP of 180 watts and the stock 4770k is 84 watt TDP at stock. So even at 4.5ghz it seems unlikely that the cooler is the bottleneck.

1.35v is a high voltage for that OC. I got 100mv less at that same clock. What mobo are you running?

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

4 minutes ago, JoshuaA9088 said:

For a 212 evo 90+ seems really high. Are you sure mounting and thermal compound are adequate?

The 212 evo has a TDP of 180 watts and the stock 4770k is 84 watt TDP. So even at 4.5ghz it seems unlikely that the cooler is the bottleneck.

Yeah i'm sure. Before overclocking it was reaching maybe like 50-65 under full load. I'll put back the voltage slightly tomorrow and see what happens but like I said it only stays there for around a min or so and then goes back to 70-80 so i'm not sure.

Using Asus z87-c mb. Min stable I was able to get was 1.2v at 4.2 which stayed around 70c.

Check and make sure you have no automatic voltage settings enabled. That temperature change from stock is rather drastic.

5 minutes ago, JamieF said:

Yeah i'm sure. Before overclocking it was reaching maybe like 50-65 under full load. I'll put back the voltage slightly tomorrow and see what happens but like I said it only stays there for around a min or so and then goes back to 70-80 so i'm not sure.

Using Asus z87-c mb. Min stable I was able to get was 1.2v at 4.2 which stayed around 70c.

Might just need to tune your voltages. Haswell isn't just set vcore and go until you bluescreen. Its much more involved.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

That thread helped a ton, even if its for gigabyte boards it explains Haswell OCing well.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Just now, JoshuaA9088 said:

Check and make sure you have no automatic voltage settings enabled. That temperature change from stock is rather drastic.

There's a lot of auto ones, i'll take a look at cache ones too.

Just now, vetali said:

Might just need to tune your voltages. Haswell isn't just set vcore and go until you bluescreen. Its much more involved.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1401976/the-gigabyte-z87-haswell-overclocking-oc-guide

That thread helped a ton, even if its for gigabyte boards it explains Haswell OCing well.

Interesting read :P i'll have a look at the other settings tomorrow.

Just on a quick side note, i put the voltage down to 1.31 and it seems stable. Under 90 on aida, haven't tried prime95.

Thanks for the help :P