New pc failed to start

Ayala

I just put together my new pc and turned on the power. The motherboard lights flashed for a quarter of a second and then turned off and the gpu light stayed on. However, nothing appeared on the monitor although it somehow went from no signal to a back screen. Any advice?

check all your power plugs connection

also reseat the RAM

what is the PC parts?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

check all your power plugs connection

also reseat the RAM

what is the PC parts?

8700k, gigabyte gaming g5, evga g3 supernova 650w, s340 elite, zotac amp edition gtx 1080, 16 gb corsair vengeance ram, h100i v2

2 minutes ago, Ayala said:

8700k, gigabyte gaming g5, evga g3 supernova 650w, s340 elite, zotac amp edition gtx 1080, 16 gb corsair vengeance ram, h100i v2

make sure the cooler is seated porperly

no contact to the block on the CPU and the system will not boot

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

18 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

make sure the cooler is seated porperly

no contact to the block on the CPU and the system will not boot

can confirm, not cpu cooler. are there any other things that would render the cpu unbootable? i’m a first time builder, so i probably made a mistake with the cabling. 

can confirm, not cpu cooler. are there any other things that would render the cpu unbootable? i’m a first time builder, so i probably made a mistake with the cabling. 

double check the power cables and the EPS CPU 8 pin power plugs

4 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

double check the power cables and the EPS CPU 8 pin power plugs

what do you mean by power cables?

what do you mean by power cables?

the 24 pins power plug and the 8 pin CPU power plugs from the PSU to the motherboard

8 hours ago, dragoon20005 said:

the 24 pins power plug and the 8 pin CPU power plugs from the PSU to the motherboard

I unplugged and plugged in the 24 pin mobo cable and the 8 pin cpu cable, same problem occured. 

38 minutes ago, tropicano said:

Did you plug the extra power cables from your PSU to your GPU?

I have plugged in the cables from the cpu to gpu, and the gpu light turns on. 

41 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Does anything happen other than the lights? Do the case fans spin, the PSU fan, anything?

The case fans did not spin, nor did the psu fan. The only things that had lights were the motherboard (for a second) and the gpu. 

Is your psu on?

did you test boot outside case

did you put the CPU in and Align the triangle

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

20 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Is your psu on?

did you test boot outside case

did you put the CPU in and Align the triangle

I switched the psu on. I did not test the boot outside the case. I have put the cpu in, and aligned the triangle. 

33 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Do you have another computer you can cross test parts on? Like try the PSU in another computer.

It sounds like it's either the PSU or the motherboard. Most other parts would still allow the PC to start, even if it failed post.

I don’t really have anywhere else where I could test individual parts. What should i do?

12 minutes ago, Ayala said:

I switched the psu on. I did not test the boot outside the case. I have put the cpu in, and aligned the triangle. 

hm maybe just bad Mobo or PSU good luck thought 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

20 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Take out as many parts as you can, and only put in what the thing needs to boot.

Take out hard drives and video card. If you have onboard video, great, if not no big deal. If the fans start spinning thats a good sign.

To test ONLY the PSU, try this: http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

If the fan starts spinning unlike before, the psu MAY be fine.

If the PSU is fine, but the board will won't power up, it may be the motherboard.

I did delid my psu, could that be a problem? I don’t think that i messed anything up, no liquid metal went off the die, but could i check that?

23 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

Take out as many parts as you can, and only put in what the thing needs to boot.

Take out hard drives and video card. If you have onboard video, great, if not no big deal. If the fans start spinning thats a good sign.

To test ONLY the PSU, try this: http://aphnetworks.com/tutorials/psu_paperclip_trick

If the fan starts spinning unlike before, the psu MAY be fine.

If the PSU is fine, but the board will won't power up, it may be the motherboard.

So if i do the paper clip trick and turn the psu on then the fan should spin? the gpu light turned on when i turned on the psu, but could other parts not work?

2 minutes ago, Masters2150 said:

By PSU I think you mean CPU. Better hope it's not that or you're boned.

Try using the PSU jumper trick just to check the PSU alone. If it works, most likely OK.

Since you've already delidded it, take it out and make sure you didn't short or damage anything, but it's starting to look like you messed up the delid.

well that’s not good, i probably should have mentioned it earlier. should i try to get a working cpu to test everything?

16 hours ago, Masters2150 said:

By PSU I think you mean CPU. Better hope it's not that or you're boned.

Try using the PSU jumper trick just to check the PSU alone. If it works, most likely OK.

Since you've already delidded it, take it out and make sure you didn't short or damage anything, but it's starting to look like you messed up the delid.

I thought of something, maybe it’s just me being desperate because i really hope i didn’t mess up the delid. I have my case fans plugged directly into my psu, and they weren’t spinning. They have a build in fan controller though. Does this mean anything?