Does it matter what type of replacement charger you buy?

Go to solution Solved by Theguywhobea,

Amp does matter, your original charger is 40w so you need another charger that is at least 40w. You need the voltage to stay at 19v, so you'll need to find one with 2.1A or more. Also you want to make sure it has the same connector.

So... my laptop charger just broke for no reason so I need to replace it since my charger has "water damage" and its not covered under waranty. My charger says 19V ~2.1A. I understand that the amp doesn't really matter so if I order any 19V charger from Amazon, should I be fine or do I HAVE to get an OEM charger? Do you guys recommend 3rd-party chargers for laptops?

I produce music!

Amp does matter, your original charger is 40w so you need another charger that is at least 40w. You need the voltage to stay at 19v, so you'll need to find one with 2.1A or more. Also you want to make sure it has the same connector.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 馃檪

5 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Yeah thats what I meant. Amp doesn't have to be exact, it just has to be greater because it means it theoretically output more. Thank you for your input, I'll go ahead and buy one off of Amazon!

I produce music!

5 minutes ago, Windows2000 said:

Yeah thats what I meant. Amp doesn't have to be exact, it just has to be greater because it means it theoretically output more. Thank you for your input, I'll go ahead and buy one off of Amazon!

hope i'm not too late don't buy a charger with higher amperage your battery will end up聽dying sooner (as in less charging cycles) unless that's not a problem i would recommend charging at what the recommended specs are.聽聽

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k 聽(4.7Ghz 1.36v)聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X聽Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme聽HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)

1 minute ago, jet224presents said:

hope i'm not too late don't buy a charger with higher amperage your battery will end up聽dying sooner (as in less charging cycles) unless that's not a problem i would recommend charging at what the recommended specs are.聽聽

I found one with exact specs for about 15 bucks. Don't worry. Cheers!

I produce music!

3 hours ago, jet224presents said:

This is wrong, amps are pulled, volts are pushed. As long as the voltage is the same or the amperage is greater or equal to the brick being replaced you should be fine. Just don鈥檛 buy a crap charger聽

That's an F in the profile pic

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2017 at 11:29 PM, Froody129 said:

This is wrong, amps are pulled, volts are pushed. As long as the voltage is the same or the amperage is greater or equal to the brick being replaced you should be fine. Just don鈥檛 buy a crap charger聽

when you give a battery the potential to take on higher amperage and or wattage,聽it will, that is seen when you plug your iphone into a ipad charger it heats up significantly more for it is rated to allow 2.1 amps instead of the 1 that the smaller brick uses at the same time all iphones charge at 5 volts so with increased wattage output there is higher amperage available to be pulled.聽

First PC Build

CPU: i5 4690k 聽(4.7Ghz 1.36v)聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽聽MOBO: MSI z97 gaming 5

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 gaming x 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽Case: NZXT s340 elite Black/Red

Storage: 1tb seagate SSHD, 240gb PNY ssd 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽 聽PSU: Corsair RM750X

Cooling:H100i V2 / Bequiet Fans

16GB Hyper X聽Fury Memory

Benched on CPUZ (Single-thread=2140) (Multi-Thread=8316)

Fire Strike 1.1=13660

Time Spy=5519

Cinebench R15 (CPU= 509cb) (OpenGL=118.28 FPS)

Unigine (Superposition 4k optimized=5581) (Heaven Extreme=120.6 FPS Score:3038) (Valley Extreme聽HD= 92.7 FPS Score:3879)