Moving OS drive to new system

NoxiousOdor

Hello, I am planning to change motherboards and before I do I want to double check to see if there is anything I should do to windows before moving it over. I don't mind doing a fresh install if I need to though it would be nice not to have to. I want to be sure that everything is ready to go because this is the only computer I have and once I start rebuilding it I won't be able to get help as easily. I will probably install the new mobo tomorrow

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

As long as you have Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, you're good. Starting with Win8, MS designed it to easily swap between multiple hardware configurations, with all essential drivers included and the ability to detect and fix any issues during boot.

Win7 doesn't handle hardware changes nearly as well, but it might work. 

if you're on Win10 (especially if you do NOT have a product key specific to Win10), you'll want to sign in with a MS Account BEFORE switching motherboard. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation, and make sure it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". 

This makes it easier for Windows to detect your new hardware and transfer your license. If you don't do it though, MS support will usually get you set up, but it might take a bit longer. In my case it took maybe 20min and they needed to see proof-of-purchase for my new motherboard. Keep any receipts, motherboard box and manual, just in case you need it. 

2 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

As long as you have Windows 8, 8.1 or 10, you're good. Starting with Win8, MS designed it to easily swap between multiple hardware configurations, with all essential drivers included and the ability to detect and fix any issues during boot.

Win7 doesn't handle hardware changes nearly as well, but it might work. 

if you're on Win10 (especially if you do NOT have a product key specific to Win10), you'll want to sign in with a MS Account BEFORE switching motherboard. Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation, and make sure it says "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account". 

This makes it easier for Windows to detect your new hardware and transfer your license. If you don't do it though, MS support will usually get you set up, but it might take a bit longer. In my case it took maybe 20min and they needed to see proof-of-purchase for my new motherboard. Keep any receipts, motherboard box and manual, just in case you need it. 

I have win 10 pro but I might look into deactivating my key then and then reactivating it. I have tried this mobo before but the system got stuck in the windows start screen. It froze and couldn't move forward. If the OS is trying to detect the hardware that might be why it is getting stuck. I am using a old very unusual motherboard.

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

It should work, but it’s always better to do a clean installation. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

22 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

It should work, but it’s always better to do a clean installation. 

Do I have to deactivate my product key or do I not worry about it and just enter it when prompted and it will be fine?

The Impossibox

WhisperingKnickers

x58 Fan Page

47 minutes ago, WhisperingKnickers said:

I have win 10 pro but I might look into deactivating my key then and then reactivating it

Windows 10 doesn't use keys, it uses digital licenses. When you activate Windows with a key, it actually sends it to the server, and exchanges it for a digital license. It then activates itself with that license, not the key (it will switch itself to a generic key at some point). 

I am using a old very unusual motherboard.

If you are moving to an older motherboard you will almost certainly need to reformat your drive. 

Windows 10 uses GPT by default, which is only supported on UEFI systems (most motherboards from 2012-present). Older hardware needs MBR (legacy, non-UEFI). 

If you upgraded to Win10 or were using an older board before though, probably still MBR so it should boot. 

2 minutes ago, DOGC_Kyle said:

Windows 10 doesn't use keys, it uses digital licenses. When you activate Windows with a key, it actually sends it to the server, and exchanges it for a digital license. It then activates itself with that license, not the key (it will switch itself to a generic key at some point). 

If you are moving to an older motherboard you will almost certainly need to reformat your drive. 

Windows 10 uses GPT by default, which is only supported on UEFI systems (most motherboards from 2012-present). Older hardware needs MBR (legacy, non-UEFI). 

If you upgraded to Win10 or were using an older board before though, probably still MBR so it should boot. 

That is really interesting I didn't realize that with the uefi and mbr. I will look into that more thank you

The Impossibox