New 1TB SSD Issue Perhaps?

Marhier

Hi everyone.
Long time viewer of the channel - new comer to the LTT forum.

I'll start by letting you know my specs, as people usually ask when dealing with hardware issues.

Mobo: Asus Maximus V Extreme

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.6Ghz
Cooling: Corsair H100i
RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133Mhz
GPU: GTX 1080 Ti
PSU: Corsair AX1200

Boot Drive (SSD): 120GB Samsung 850 Evo

Games Drive (SSD): 1TB Crucial MX300
Storage 1 (HDD): 3TB WD HDD

Storage 2 (HDD): 1tb WD HDD

Note: All drives are plugged in via SATA 3 6GB

Pioneer BR Drive

So my issue is as follows:

The 1TB SSD is new... I literally just bought it (Black Friday \m/), plugged it in, booted to windows, went to disk manager and activated the disk.

After that, I installed some games to it via Steam & Origin, went to play, got to the main menu or adjust settings screen of any game and my computer just shuts down and reboots itself automatically every time... Can't even get into playing a game!

Automatially I thought perhaps it's a driver issue.
As a first point of call, I just thought "sod it, I'll just do a fresh install of Windows... Install all drivers... Nice and clean"
Doing that proved useless as the problem sustained.

My next thought was - it could also be a PSU issue... But everything was fine before the 1TB SSD went in and I look after my PC very well.

I thought before I test using a friend's PSU, I'll just move a game to the old HDD I had as a games drive and unplug the new 1TB SSD.
After doing that, my PC is no longer shutting down and games run no problem.

If someone could offer any advice here, it would be greatly appreciated.
Have I set up the new SSD wrong; is it conflicting with the SSD I have as my boot drive (remembering the days of Master & Slave pins)?

Does it just sound like a faulty SSD - I mean it transfers files just fine, speeds are good.

I don't think it's because my PSU is insufficient... The new SSD is replacing an old 400GB HDD, so I've got no more drives in there than I had before.

This has literally baffled me.

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards
Marhier

Lol... I thought as much... I will certainly do that next... Was just interested if I've done something wrong in setting it up.

Weird that using it to transfer files I have no issues... Why would it only be in games do you think?

Appreciate it.
Regards

Marhier

I've contacted Amazon who are sending me a replacement; should arrive on Monday.

If the problem continues, is there anything that stands out as to what I've done wrong; is there a particular way to have a second SSD set up as a mass storage - are there particular SATA 3 ports I need to connect it to?
I've attached a picture of my motherboard, pointing out where I've connected all 4 of my drives.

Many thanks.
Regards
Marhier

overview.jpg