First Build - 2 options.

Aoe

Hi guys!

Im planning to build a PC over Christmas, as my laptop just doesnt cut it anymore.
After a lot of thinking and going from the Prodigy M to the Fractal Arc mini R2, i think i've finally settled with the Corsair 350d.

As demanded, some information:
Budget: ~1200-1400 €, Location: Germany
Aim: Mostly games and the additional "normal" usage, watching films etc but nothing heavy.
Monitor: 1  

Now, i'm not entirely sure which way to go so i've come here ;) Both builds are essentially the same, with the "basic" build posted below.

My 2nd option for a Build would be a 4670k instead of a 4570, a Z87 Motherboard instead of the H87 and possibly an H100i instead of the air cooler.

My questions are:
a )  Is the power supply sufficient?
b )  Is it worth spending ~130 Euro more to get a 4670k, a Z87 Motherboard and (probably) an H100i (it does look about 42x as sexy as an air cooler).                                                                                And would the power supply be even enough   to OC the CPU + power the h100i?
c )  Do you see any problems with the build?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€174.85 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (€33.30 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard:  ASRock H87M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (€72.49 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory:  Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (€73.99 @ Pixmania DE)
Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  (€86.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (€54.90 @ Caseking)
Wireless Network Adapter:  TP-Link TL-WN951N 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter  (€21.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case:  Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (€99.90 @ Caseking)
Case Fan:  Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition 39.9 CFM 120mm  Fan  (€12.90 @ Pixmania DE)
Case Fan:  Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm  Fan  (€21.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan:  NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 58.1 CFM 120mm  Fan  (€19.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan:  NoiseBlocker NB-eLoop B12-PS 58.1 CFM 120mm  Fan  (€19.87 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Power Supply:  Be Quiet 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (€63.05 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Optical Drive:  Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  (€17.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Monitor:  Asus VN248H 23.8" Monitor  (€189.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Other: 2048MB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ACX (€302.00)
Other: Microsoft Sidewinder X4 (€35.00)
Total: €1298.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-11 17:01 CET+0100)

Thanks a bunch!

You're cutting kinda close on the power supply if I were you I would try and go with around 600 or 650 watts but it really depends on how far you overclock

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

I would go with the WD caviar green, it costs less and is more Eco friendly.

Is it just me that's really blind, or is there no GPU there :D

CPU: FX-8350, GPU: xfx radeon r9 290, RAM: corsair venegance 8gb, STORAGE; seagate barracuda 1TB hdd, SSDnow kingston 120gb, CPU COOLER: CM hyper 212 , CASE: fractal design XL, PSU: corsair CS 650w 80+ gold MOBO: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

Is it just me that's really blind, or is there no GPU there :D

Other: 2048MB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 Superclocked ACX (€302.00)

I'd like at least 650w for that rig, but 500w should work.

You're cutting kinda close on the power supply if I were you I would try and go with around 600 or 650 watts but it really depends on how far you overclock

Great i'll consider that, any brands you recommend that cost like <80-100 euro (or dollar)

I would go with the WD caviar green, it costs less and is more Eco friendly.

I heard this, and while that is also important for me, I thought it would be wise to take the WD Blue for the 7200rpm.. Is there much of a noticable drop between the RPMs? (As I understood it, the WD Green doesnt have a set RPM, but should be around 5400...)

Thanks for all your answers!

PS:

CPU-wise what would you go for? Is the 4670k a clever choice incase you need that little more power in 1-2 years? or is it just a waste?

Great i'll consider that, any brands you recommend that cost like <80-100 euro (or dollar)

PS:

CPU-wise what would you go for? Is the 4670k a clever choice incase you need that little more power in 1-2 years? or is it just a waste?

Corsair, NZXT, Fractal, Seasonic, XFX, EVGA are all good brands, the 4670k is unlocked, so you can overclock higher, the 4570 isn't and will not overclock very good at all the 4670k is a bit faster out of box as well, but if you dont overclock the 4570 is a ok choice.

Corsair, NZXT, Fractal, Seasonic, XFX, EVGA are all good brands, the 4670k is unlocked, so you can overclock higher, the 4570 isn't and will not overclock very good at all the 4670k is a bit faster out of box as well, but if you dont overclock the 4570 is a ok choice.

Great, i'll have a look at them ;)

Im aware of the unlocked 4670k, but is overclocking actually worth it? Or am i just better off paying less for no overclock (i.e. the 4570) and wont really see a performance difference in an everyday situation?

Great, i'll have a look at them ;)

Im aware of the unlocked 4670k, but is overclocking actually worth it? Or am i just better off paying less for no overclock (i.e. the 4570) and wont really see a performance difference in an everyday situation?

as long as you have cooling is near as it gets free performance so yeah its worth it, you'll see a gain but nothing mindbogglingly

as long as you have cooling is near as it gets free performance so yeah its worth it, you'll see a gain but nothing mindbogglingly

So probably not worth the 60 to 130 euro (with h100i) difference?

Would you guys say its more "futureproof" (i know thats hard to say) to get a 4670k and a z87 motherboard? or Id be better off getting a new motherboard/cpu in a few years anyway?

So probably not worth the 60 to 130 euro (with h100i) difference?

Would you guys say its more "futureproof" (i know thats hard to say) to get a 4670k and a z87 motherboard? or Id be better off getting a new motherboard/cpu in a few years anyway?

if a few years you mean 2-3 years then both will still be fine unless they manage to lay all the load on the CPU with future games.

so both will work in 2-3 years, but the 4670k will allow you to OC ONCE it starts having problems keeping up while the 4570 then will never get any faster.

its debatable if its worth the cost, you will have to make that choice yourself!

if a few years you mean 2-3 years then both will still be fine unless they manage to lay all the load on the CPU with future games.

so both will work in 2-3 years, but the 4670k will allow you to OC ONCE it starts having problems keeping up while the 4570 then will never get any faster.

its debatable if its worth the cost, you will have to make that choice yourself!

Thanks, i guess i'll just have to think about it a bit more ;)

No doubt i'll be coming back in a few days or once ive come up with more questions^^

Edits: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/2j58W

Replace stock 212 Evo and stock 350D fans. 

Use Arctic F12's for rear exhaust and to replace the 212 Evo stock fan. The Akasa fan is for front intake. Get another if you'd like but one should be enough.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Edits: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/p/2j58W

Replace stock 212 Evo and stock 350D fans. 

Use Arctic F12's for rear exhaust and to replace the 212 Evo stock fan. The Akasa fan is for front intake. Get another if you'd like but one should be enough.

I was thinking of the 2 NB Eloops as top exhaust to minimize dust intake from the top and 2 corsairs as front intake..

Why the i5 4440? I can get the 4570 for 165 euro, which is just as much as the 4440...

Any reason for the monitor except for the price?

Thanks for the input!

I was thinking of the 2 NB Eloops as top exhaust to minimize dust intake from the top and 2 corsairs as front intake..

Why the i5 4440? I can get the 4570 for 165 euro, which is just as much as the 4440...

Any reason for the monitor except for the price?

Thanks for the input!

Top exhaust would disrupt the front intake to rear exhaust airflow. It's be best if you covered up the vents. 

The 4570 you linked is 175 euros.

Just the price.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Top exhaust would disrupt the front intake to rear exhaust airflow. It's be best if you covered up the vents. 

The 4570 you linked is 175 euros.

Just the price.

Ok, ill consider that for airflow..

Yeah, PcPartpicker is (atleast for germany) pretty bad when actually comparing prices, you can get everything there for quite a bit cheaper actually, the monitor listed for 189€ is only 159€ in most shops..

Thanks!

Ok, ill consider that for airflow..

Yeah, PcPartpicker is (atleast for germany) pretty bad when actually comparing prices, you can get everything there for quite a bit cheaper actually, the monitor listed for 189€ is only 159€ in most shops..

Thanks!

True. The german version of pcpartpicker needs some more sites and is one of the slower ones to update.

Ok guys, im back!

So ive upped by budget a little, and as a result, ive now gone for an h100i, and will be using 2 140 noctuas as intake at the front, 2 NB eLoops for exhaust through the h100i at the top, and then ive got 1 corsair 120 quiet edition fan.

Now, the question is, should that be going as an exhaust out the back? which would (while looking better) lead to a negative air pressure in the case and maybe higher cpu temps as the h100i doesnt get fresh air,
OR, should i go with a rear 120 intake with a dust filter to get positive air pressure and provide the h100i with fresh cool air.

The graphics card is staying the same, non-reference typ cooler 770 that will also cause hot air to build inside the case.
Ive heard several people say with a non-reference typ cooler on the graphics card that a rear exhaust is better, but on the other hand dust will build up faster..

Opinions please!!

Now, the question is, should that be going as an exhaust out the back? which would (while looking better) lead to a negative air pressure in the case and maybe higher cpu temps as the h100i doesnt get fresh air,

OR, should i go with a rear 120 intake with a dust filter to get positive air pressure and provide the h100i with fresh cool air.

The graphics card is staying the same, non-reference typ cooler 770 that will also cause hot air to build inside the case.

Ive heard several people say with a non-reference typ cooler on the graphics card that a rear exhaust is better, but on the other hand dust will build up faster..

Negative pressure or not, you want the air to flow in a single direction so front intake to rear exhaust is preferred.

Open air coolers build up a bit more heat in the case but keeps the gpu much cooler. It's much better than a blower card.

What's your current parts list?

Exactly the same as above, except for CPU, Motherboard, CPU cooler and PSU.

Old: 4570, asrock h87 pro, 212evo, BeQuiet 500W

New: 4670k, maximusgene IV (its sexy.) , h100i, 650 Watt Corsair RM 80+Gold

As PCpartpicker doesnt even have a 4670k, i wont bother building a new list with it.

So the whole "you must have positive airpressure" thing is a bit overrated and i should rather go for rear exhaust?

Exactly the same as above, except for CPU, Motherboard, CPU cooler and PSU.

Old: 4570, asrock h87 pro, 212evo, BeQuiet 500W

New: 4670k, maximusgene IV (its sexy.) , h100i, 650 Watt Corsair RM 80+Gold

As PCpartpicker doesnt even have a 4670k, i wont bother building a new list with it.

So the whole "you must have positive airpressure" thing is a bit overrated and i should rather go for rear exhaust?

Do go for rear exhaust.

Is that the only reason you're getting the maximus?

Psu is overkill. A decent 550w is plenty as is.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Do go for rear exhaust.

Is that the only reason you're getting the maximus?

Psu is overkill. A decent 550w is plenty as is.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

Great, ill go for it then..

Nah, ill also be going for some overclocking along the line, so a z87 is needed anyway. Plus the maximus has the mPCIe card at the top of the board, so i wont have to look at an ugly wifi card every time i look in my case.. I know its overkill, but considering this is going to be on my desk for a few years, i might as have something nice to look at ;)

Hm.. i chose the Corsair 650 cause its a) the "smallest" PSU in the new RM series plus its amazingly quiet / 80+gold and is actually quite cheap at 90-100 euro..

But ill see if i can find something nice at ~550 Watts, thanks for the tip.

Thanks!

Hm.. i chose the Corsair 650 cause its a) the "smallest" PSU in the new RM series plus its amazingly quiet / 80+gold and is actually quite cheap at 90-100 euro..

But ill see if i can find something nice at ~550 Watts, thanks for the tip.

Thanks!

Actually, the smallest psu in the RM series is the RM450. 

If you're spending that much for a psu, I'd recommend getting this instead: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

It's a better psu but it might conflict with your color scheme. Are you dead set on red/black?

Actually, the smallest psu in the RM series is the RM450. 

If you're spending that much for a psu, I'd recommend getting this instead: http://de.pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-ssr550rm

It's a better psu but it might conflict with your color scheme. Are you dead set on red/black?

Oh wow, my blunder, didnt see that..

It definetely would conflict would the overall looks, but ill think about it if its superior in build quality. Nvidia recommends 42amps on the +12V rail for powersupplies when going with the 770superclocked, but as it seems a bit overkill, i suppose that wouldnt be a problem...

Im not dead set on red/black, but most motherboards are quite hideous, so red/black/white seemed the best option..