Can't run 3200mhz RAM at above 2400mhz could use some help

Dimatkach26

So first of all this is the RAM and motherboard:

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW

Motherboard: ASRock AB350 Pro4

When I enable XMP the default value it automatically gives the RAM is the 3200mhz it is supposed to run at but whenever I set it anywhere above 2400 it does a "double boot" every cold start or a restart from the computer which probably means its unstable from what I understand?

I can't change any voltages or setting manually in the bios so XMP is my only option here.

Bios is updated to latest version of 4.2V and before it was on 3.3V with the same thing.

I am running at 2400mhz right now without any problems, what could be the problem? I was hoping I will be able to at least run it closer to 3000 but running 3200mhz RAM at 2400 is a joke...

The AM4 platform (And Z370 for that matter) is rated for DDR4-2666, anything over that is overclocked, so no guarantee. You could try to set a different XMP profile like 2666 or 2933 and see how that goes.

I run DDR4-3000 on my Ryzen 7 1700 and mine works flawlessly @ 2933 right now. Granted, I did overclock the CPU before I set the memory speed. Ryzen sometimes wants a CPU overclock before the memory controller takes the higher frequencies.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

44 minutes ago, Dimatkach26 said:

-snip-

I don't know about ASrock, but ASUS motherboards will double boot when an overclock is applied (XMP counts). The first boot up is to check the OC, the second is the actual boot. My 2500K + Z77 board have been doing this ever since 2012.Maybe they don't do this anymore on the newer boards, not sure there.

55 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

I don't know about ASrock, but ASUS motherboards will double boot when an overclock is applied (XMP counts). The first boot up is to check the OC, the second is the actual boot. My 2500K + Z77 board have been doing this ever since 2012.Maybe they don't do this anymore on the newer boards, not sure there.

Well it doesn't do a double boot when it is overclocked to 2400 ( the normal clock without XMP is 2133) and anything over does double boot which is whats wierd