Had a scary little incident just now, a little paranoid and need advice

Essentially I just decided to download EVGA precision X for my EVGA 1070ti SC black edition, it's been a bit since I built the PC itself so I thought why not? 

I saw the fan speed meter in the program was by default kinda high (pic) so I scrolled it down to 0 and hit apply, thinking the fan curve would still kick in when I game.

So I fired up CSGO, noticed my fps was severely lacking in the 60s to 100s on a 2160x1440p display. I alt tabbed and checked and my oh my, the temps were in the 90's C 

I panicked and shut down my computer instantly and pulled the plug. I should at this point mention I'm not a hardcore enthusiast, just a gamer who doesn't want a prebuilt machine. I don't know as much as a real enthusiast does. I mean, I know enough, enough to know what parts to buy for what needs and how to download drivers and then enjoy from there, but not much beyond that. 

Anyway, I retraced my steps and urged my hand to back away from calling the EVGA helpline, at least for the moment, and turned my computer on again. I set the program's settings to default and that's the last thing I did before writing this. The curves now appear to be normal, but I'm very scared to open up a game. Did my putting the fan speed to 0 reset/nullify the default fan curve and make it so my card's fans never turned on, causing the temps to skyrocket? Or is it a defect with the card? 

That's basically my theory, I accidentally disabled the curve and the card throttled to avoid, I don't know, combustion, and now that it's at default it should work. A quick Google search yielded no real answers to this. I don't even know if the fan running at 40% default is normal or not. 

If needed I could grab my fire extinguisher and keep it next to me as I open a game and check CPUID HWMonitor temps. Right now, it's idling at a cool 25~ Centigrade and the fan is by default at 1450RPM(40%), which I don't get.

Please do help if you know the answer to my questions, I'd appreciate any information right now, advice would be extremely welcome!

Capture.PNG

My second theory is the fan just stopped working beyond a certain RPM, but I don't know how valid that theory is, if at all.

Oh, also, this is my default fan curve.

Capture2.PNG

Sounds and looks like you just manual turned off the fan, and the card has thermal throttled to stop itself from dieing. You've reset to defaults and it all looks fine now, no problem no foul.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Even so, searching around brought me to the conclusion that 1060s and 1070s idle at 0% fan speed, and only ramp up to anything when under load, why is my 1070ti idling with 40% fan speed at anywhere from 23 to 29 degrees centigrade by default? I couldn't find any answers online! 

it all depends on the add in board partner, you should be able to put the fan speed at 0 until something like 35-50C wth no issues

image.png.dd14a9cb6ddca6db9e83e2259e291b1c.png

5 minutes ago, StillKindaNew said:

Even so, searching around brought me to the conclusion that 1060s and 1070s idle at 0% fan speed, and only ramp up to anything when under load, why is my 1070ti idling with 40% fan speed at anywhere from 23 to 29 degrees centigrade by default? I couldn't find any answers online! 

Probably just a voltage controlled relay on the card, my r9 fury only turns on the fans at 40C, read out says 20% fan speed when they aren't moving at all. If you're really that worried stick your head in the case.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Just now, it_dont_work said:

Probably just a voltage controlled relay on the card, my r9 fury only turns on the fans at 40C, read out says 20% fan speed when they aren't moving at all. If you're really that worried stick your head in the case.

Oh they're running alright. PrecisionX and HWMonitor report the same thing. And of course, my case is wide open, and I can both hear and see the fans running. I even VERY GENTLY nudged my finger there to make sure it was running. 

6 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

it all depends on the add in board partner, you should be able to put the fan speed at 0 until something like 35-50C wth no issues

Could I uninstall PrecisionX and install afterburner to more closely monitor these things? I hear a lot of bad stuff about EVGA's software and see a lot of recommendations for aftebrurner 

3 minutes ago, StillKindaNew said:
10 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

Could I uninstall PrecisionX and install afterburner to more closely monitor these things? I hear a lot of bad stuff about EVGA's software and see a lot of recommendations for aftebrurner 

yes you can....I use afterburner with a Gigabyte 1050ti....

27 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Sounds and looks like you just manual turned off the fan, and the card has thermal throttled to stop itself from dieing. You've reset to defaults and it all looks fine now, no problem no foul.

22 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

Hold up, when I close PrecisionX the fan turns back down to 0% physically, and is accurately reported in CPUID HWMonitor. Temps still high 20s centigrade. What's going on here? Opening EVGA's software ramps it back up to the default 40% curve, I think I found my problem here. Now that the software is installed the fans just do not turn on when I don't open PrecisionX, is that it? 

Edit: After opening PrecisionX, I still need to click DEFAULT and wait for the damn program to respond before it goes back to the fan curve, and it starts off at like 2000RPM(and sounds like a jet engine) and brings it back down to 1460 ish

20 ~ 30 *C is absolutely fine.

You can't physically be below ambient (e.g. room temperature) on conventional air/water cooling.

Otherwise you break the very laws of PHYSICS that explains our world.

If your ambient is ~24*C, then it can only go up from there...

The GPU is running -- driving your monitor while you mess around in MSi Afterburner / PrecisionX, displayinmg your desktop -- so it is never sitting there doing absolutely nothing. If the fans are at 0 RPM, then it is being passively cooled by the metal heatsink alone.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>