Improve Build

TraskJ

I built this computer (my first build, huzzah) about nine months ago, and looking back, and knowing what I know now, I see some problems, by which I mean many, many problems and I have no idea where to start. Given $100 ish to spend on upgrading/fixing it, what would you do first? Would you flip any parts? 

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (stock speeds)

Cooler: Stock Wraith Cooler

GPU: EVGA GeForce 1060 6gb SSC

PSU: EVGA 430 Watt 80+ certified

RAM: 1x8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2666

Motherboard: MSI B350M Mortar

Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 (1 case fan)

1x SK Hynix 120gb SSD, 1x WD Blue 1tb, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5tb

Thanks! 

Everything I know I learned from the internet. Also school. 

Current Desktop:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @3.65 ghz, Cryorig H7

MoBo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super OC

RAM: 2x8 gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @2666mhz

PSU: 650W EVGA SuperNova

Storage: 120gb SK Hynix SSD, 240gb SanDisk SSD Plus, 1 TB 2015 WD Blue

Case: Corsair Carbide 100R

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

Change the PSU to a decent one? And consider changing the motherboard. It should be fine for overclocks with the stock cooler, though. Adding a case fan could improve temps

:)

2 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

For $100, add a Samsung EVO 850 or 860 SSD.

Your spec is fine. It computes, right?

I've actually already got an SSD and two hard drives in there. Sorry, I should have specified. Fixing post now. 

And yes, it computes. But it gets burning hot and I get weird framerate drop in some games. I'm aware that I need more RAM and more case fans, as well as an aftermarket cooler, but I'm wondering what people are recommending to do FIRST from those things. 

Current Desktop:

Peripherals: Logitech G Pro keyboard, Razer DeathAdder Elite, Logitech G305, Logitech G600, 24" AOC FreeSync 1080p monitor x2

I'd personally add more RAM and try to get another fan in there if possible. I'm not great at low-budget stuff though 

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600Motherboard - Asus Strix B350-F GAMING, RAM -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15, GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti, Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400S, Storage - Crucial BX300 240GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5", PSU - Corsair CS650M, OS- Win10 Pro

Your graphics card is an EVGA. Are you running Precision XOC and setting the fan speed higher so it doesn't get so hot?

If you have a single case fan in the entire rig, it might be an idea to add a few more. And you could definitely do that for $100.

Put 2 fans on the front of that case as intakes.

6 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Change the PSU to a decent one? And consider changing the motherboard. It should be fine for overclocks with the stock cooler, though. Adding a case fan could improve temps

Just now, AdoptedAsian said:

I'd personally add more RAM and try to get another fan in there if possible. I'm not great at low-budget stuff though 

Would you say the RAM or the PSU first? What are the tradeoffs? 

Just now, Tiberiusisgame said:

Your graphics card is an EVGA. Are you running Precision XOC and setting the fan speed higher so it doesn't get so hot?

If you have a single case fan in the entire rig, it might be an idea to add a few more. And you could definitely do that for $100.

I have no idea. I'll need to check that once I get home for the holidays before I pack up my computer to ship to school. 

Current Desktop:

Depending on the games you play, more RAM could increase your FPS (especially your 1% and 0.1% lows). Here's a video with the 1060 6GB as part of the results: 

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 1600Motherboard - Asus Strix B350-F GAMING, RAM -  Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15, GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070Ti, Case - Phanteks Eclipse P400S, Storage - Crucial BX300 240GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5", PSU - Corsair CS650M, OS- Win10 Pro

and if you have an extra fifty dollars to spare maybe, just MAYBE a new psu

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

Thanks, everyone! It's looking like I should upgrade RAM > Cooler > extra case fans > PSU, so that's the order I'll work in. At some point I'll also replace the case for aesthetics. 

Current Desktop:

Your PSU is fine. Don't know why folks are saying that. And 8GB of RAM is enough for your system spec.

But cooling your system is a high priority if you want it to last. Download Precision XOC from EVGA's website. https://www.evga.com/precisionxoc/

Run it and monitor your GPU temperature/control your fan speed.

yeah he has enough ram and all, but if he wants to stream or play games and have some tabs open and some programs running, 16 gb is definitely something to think about

I hAve an unfinished pc build. Pls dont bully for not having one yet or i cry.

7 minutes ago, TraskJ said:

Would you say the RAM or the PSU first? What are the tradeoffs? 

Upgrading the PSU significantly reduces the odds of it killing the entire system, so that you won't have to replace everything. Even if the PSU you currently have doesn't immediately kill everything, it will still degrade the components due to bad regulation and ripple. 

Upgrading the RAM could improve performance for tasks that use it all. You can check the RAM usage in game with MSI Afterburner. 

3 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

Your PSU is fine. Don't know why folks are saying that.

A 1600 and a 1060 running on a W1? No thanks. That's a crap PSU, and has no place in anything but the most budget oriented builds. 

Just now, seon123 said:

A 1600 and a 1060 running on a W1? No thanks. That's a crap PSU, and has no place in anything but the most budget oriented builds. 

I'm having trouble finding the PSU tier list. Can you recommend one for me? 

Current Desktop:

OP, have you had random shutoffs or crashes or do you have reason to believe your system is unstable? And if so, was your system very warm to the touch?

What's wrong with evga psus? I owned that exact one for over 2 years now. 430 is plenty for that system. That PSU is fine don't waste your money. Unless you are having stability problems. Your system takes around 300 watts, so you won't be even close maxing it out.

Why are you telling OP that it's crap when it isn't. Yes it's not the best, but far from horrible. He already has the psu. Why tell him to get something that he already has? He's not doing high load on it. By the logic of it may blow up, we should tell him to get a 80+ titanium.

Get another 8gb stick. You're not running dual channel. If you can tolerate it, wait till memory prices go down. I didn't have much of a choice.

6 minutes ago, ShoByte said:

What's wrong with evga psus? I owned that exact one for over 2 years now. 430 is plenty for that system. That PSU is fine don't waste your money. Unless you are having stability problems. Your system takes around 300 watts, so you won't be even close maxing it out.

Why are you telling OP that it's crap when it isn't. Yes it's not the best, but far from horrible. He already has the psu. Why tell him to get something that he already has? He's not doing high load on it. By the logic of it may blow up, we should tell him to get a 80+ titanium.

Get another 8gb stick. You're not running dual channel. If you can tolerate it, wait till memory prices go down. I didn't have much of a choice.

Nothing inherently wrong with EVGA PSUs, but there is absolutely nothing to make them stand apart in a good way either. They also have a whole lot of crappy units. 

The W1 is crap, among the worst PSUs that can be considered acceptable for low power builds. 

Bad PSUs lack protections, as well as having worse soldering and using worse components than a good PSU. 

The thing with PSUs blowing up is: just because it hasn't blown up, doesn't mean it won't. And the bad capacitors that the PSU uses will fail without you necessarily noticing. Let's say a capacitor fails, and you get 1V ripple. That will kill components, even though the PSU still "works", and the system still powers on. 

Since you mention efficiency (as well as having bought one of the most overpriced and crappy PSUs), and not an actually relevant metric to measure how good a PSU is, I can't really take you seriously...

I have multiple systems btw, I also run s12g. Those are in my higher load machines. I also run on UPS's but who shouldn't. Or at least surge suppressors. Who plugs their computer direct in the wall?

All of those are maxing it out. I wouldn't max stress this psu either.

Give me where the power supplies failed then I can take you seriously.

He already owns the psu and has a missing component. The only compromise I see between us is get the memory then change the psu.

39 minutes ago, Tiberiusisgame said:

OP, have you had random shutoffs or crashes or do you have reason to believe your system is unstable? And if so, was your system very warm to the touch?

No. I just noticed that my GPU temps were hitting the low 100s after only half an hour of Overwatch. I'm thinking that it's likely because my case is badly ventilated more than anything else, so that will likely be solved by extra case fans. I think I remember my CPU getting hot as well, but I haven't tested that in a while. 

Current Desktop:

1 hour ago, ShoByte said:

Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius? If that's Fahrenheit it's fine.

Definitely C haha, but thanks for checking. 

Current Desktop:

Is that reading right? It's suppose to throttle at 83C

It should never get that hot, check if the fan(s) are spinning. Some coolers can blow hot air onto the card.