My first ever computer!

So I've finally decided to drop a few grand on my very first setup.. I've never owned a computer. The only thing I do know I want is an 8700k chipset and I can't think of anything other than the 1080ti as the graphics card.. my question is which mobo and ram do you suggest for a great gaming setup.. and RGB all parts that are feasible. 

Just now, Thaddie said:

So I've finally decided to drop a few grand on my very first setup.. I've never owned a computer. The only thing I do know I want is an 8700k chipset and I can't think of anything other than the 1080ti as the graphics card.. my question is which mobo and ram do you suggest for a great gaming setup.. and RGB all thw wat if infeasible 

That's nice that you have the budget, but what kind of games do you want to play? A 1080Ti is overkill for pretty much 90% of gamers nowadays.

My native language is C++

$2200 to $2600. And I want the 1080ti so that I can have a system that I don't feel could have been better.. if I go with the 1070ti or the 1080 I'll just look for sales on the 1080ti on a weekly basis for months.. I'd rather get the top tier now so I don't feel like I'm missing out.. also longevity is a must and if I buy anything past-gen then I'll feel like I bought a Cadillac and put milk crates in it for the seats.. lol

4 minutes ago, Thaddie said:

$2200 to $2600. And I want the 1080ti so that I can have a system that I don't feel could have been better.. if I go with the 1070ti or the 1080 I'll just look for sales on the 1080ti on a weekly basis for months.. I'd rather get the top tier now so I don't feel like I'm missing out.. also longevity is a must and if I buy anything past-gen then I'll feel like I bought a Cadillac and put milk crates in it for the seats.. lol

which country? need os/monitor/peripherals?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

27 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

which country? need os/monitor/peripherals?

USA and Im not including peripherals in that price. Those will be bought on a separate budget

9 minutes ago, Thaddie said:

USA and Im not including peripherals in that price. Those will be bought on a separate budget

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($405.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($154.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($211.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($181.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.88 @ Other World Computing) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($758.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $2028.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-07 21:28 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($405.98 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 40.6 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($154.89 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Z370 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($211.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($181.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.88 @ Other World Computing) 
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card  ($758.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $2028.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-12-07 21:28 EST-0500

I'll check into those parts.. thank you so much for the support.

With that kind of budget, you want i7 8700k, any of the top tier 1080tis, and M.2 storage + SATA SSD. Don't get a hard drive, it's 2017 afterall... Meshify C is a great case for airflow and it's nice and small, as for AIO I would go Corsair H115i or Kraken X62. The 360mm aio's are not worth the extra money as their performance is actually not better.

7800x3d - RTX 4090 FE - 64GB-6000C30 - 2x2TB 990 Pro - 4K 144HZ

PCPP: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/mdRcqR

28 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

With that kind of budget, you want i7 8700k, any of the top tier 1080tis, and M.2 storage + SATA SSD. Don't get a hard drive, it's 2017 afterall... Meshify C is a great case for airflow and it's nice and small, as for AIO I would go Corsair H115i or Kraken X62. The 360mm aio's are not worth the extra money as their performance is actually not better.

My original idea was the I7 8700k, the strix 1080ti, the ROG Z370 wifi ac, a Samsung evo 850 250GB SATA SSD, Kraken x62, G. Skill trident z rgb 2x 8gb 3200, and I kinda dig the eclipse p400s case in black or black and red.. 

Those components sound great, and fair enough, cases are a personal touch so whatever you like best :) Just make sure you check the reviews for it and see if airflow is good.

7 minutes ago, iiNNeX said:

Those components sound great, and fair enough, cases are a personal touch so whatever you like best :) Just make sure you check the reviews for it and see if airflow is good.

To be honest.. the whole SSD thing is daunting.. why are M.2 drives better than a SATA SSD.. why does the M.2 drive split SATA ports.. and can a 250gb plus a 500gb provide enough storage.. because forking out that much money for a 1 or 2 TB m.2 or SATA drive seems illogical..

And don't even start me on the price of a high capacity M.2.... lol

6 minutes ago, Thaddie said:

To be honest.. the whole SSD thing is daunting.. why are M.2 drives better than a SATA SSD.. why does the M.2 drive split SATA ports.. and can a 250gb plus a 500gb provide enough storage.. because forking out that much money for a 1 or 2 TB m.2 or SATA drive seems illogical..

m.2 drives aren't any better than sata SSDs unless it supports NVME, in which case it may perform better.

9 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

m.2 drives aren't any better than sata SSDs unless it supports NVME, in which case it may perform better.

What?

Pretty sure a 960 Evo/Pro is better than a 850 Evo/Pro mate lol. And no not just in benchmarks, but it is only "better" in certain scenarios. If OP only wants to game and light edit on his PC, and doesn't transfer 50gb files often, he will not benefit from a m.2 drive. Simple as that.

1 minute ago, iiNNeX said:

What?

Pretty sure a 960 Evo/Pro is better than a 850 Evo/Pro mate lol. And no not just in benchmarks, but it is only "better" in certain scenarios. If OP only wants to game and light edit on his PC, and doesn't transfer 50gb files often, he will not benefit from a m.2 drive. Simple as that.

12 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

when i said m.2 drives aren't any better i meant between 2 of the same drives in different form factors. m.2 is just a form factor, it's the NVME protocol that makes some m.2 drives faster than AHCI sata drives.

1 minute ago, iiNNeX said:

What?

I'm going for gaming mostly.. and like the post says.. this is literally going to be the first computer I've ever owned.. I'm just making sure it's done right.

Just now, Thaddie said:

I'm going for gaming mostly.. and like the post says.. this is literally going to be the first computer I've ever owned.. I'm just making sure it's done right.

I am building something similar to you, so will post my pcpartspicker in a bit, as i'm at work right now and it really doesn't feel like a friday lol

26 minutes ago, Thaddie said:

Similar indeed:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cDrgRG

I am changing the mobo for the ROG Hero however, and i already have the GPU so that's not included in the price. 

1 hour ago, iiNNeX said:

Similar indeed:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cDrgRG

I am changing the mobo for the ROG Hero however, and i already have the GPU so that's not included in the price. 

Very similar setups.. I wasnt quite sure about the ROG Hero.. what's the difference in a nutshell.

48 minutes ago, Thaddie said:

Very similar setups.. I wasnt quite sure about the ROG Hero.. what's the difference in a nutshell.

Better VRMs and a few other small components, I prefer the look of the BIOS more and essentially better overclocking features. Price difference for me is £35 so I might as well go for the better board, I've always had Hero or Formula (Rampage only once back in the i7 3820k days!).

10 hours ago, iiNNeX said:

Better VRMs and a few other small components, I prefer the look of the BIOS more and essentially better overclocking features. Price difference for me is £35 so I might as well go for the better board, I've always had Hero or Formula (Rampage only once back in the i7 3820k days!).

Yeah.. I think that may make the difference for me as well.. I do see the potential overclocking benefits with that setup