Upgrading my current system

Go to solution Solved by Guest,
3 minutes ago, Krychaz said:

Hey,

Thanks for your input guys, ye I was looking at the 4770k but I was not sure of they were still relevant and good enough, but turns out they're. 

The older haswell chips do still have some life out of them, they are still capable CPUs for gaming, all I'd say is upgrade the CPU and GPU as the performance gain will be noticable. Since you do have a locked chipset, overclocking isnt supported, you'd need a "Z" series motherboard (you can always sell you current motherboard to get a Z87 motherboard for overclocking). If you went with the i7-4790k as an upgrade, but you still keeped your current motherboard, it still has a good base/turbo clock frequency while the 4770k does have a slower base/turbo clock frequencies, it still performs well.

Hello, 

I'm currently running a pretty old gaming setup by today standards, running: 

• ASUS GTX 760 2GB Mini
  • Intel Core I5 4570 @ 3.20Ghz
  • MSI H87-G43 Motherboard
  • 8 GB of RAM 

I was planning to replace my heavily used 760 as its old and tired by now. Was planing to get 1070 but recently I heard people telling me that I don't need anything more than 1060 for 1080p gaming and other people telling me I should go for 1070Ti. So I'm sort of in the middle of what should I get. 

The second part is the fact I was thinking about upgrading my cpu. I can feel my I5 not performing the best anymore so I'm looking for an upgrade. However, I stopped fallowing all the latest CPU news especially after the waves of new Intel cpu's coming out, it was too much for me. So the question is, do I stick with the socket and upgrade to an I7, do I got for skylake or something else ? I was looking at I5 - 6600K but not sure if its the right option. 

Best performance for the money is what counts for me. I do 1080p gaming and have a 2 monitor setup, with the second monitor being used just for browsing etc. I also do web development/programming but that is not very heavy. I also live in Ireland so most of my stuff would probably be from UK. 

I would appreciate all the help I could get. 

2 minutes ago, Krychaz said:

I was looking at I5 - 6600K but not sure if its the right option. 

Not really an upgrade, get a used i7 4770(K) or 4790(K) instead. If you want to get new parts, get an i5 8400 or a Ryzen 5 1600, just don't get a 6600K in 2017 ;)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Hey,

Thanks for your input guys, ye I was looking at the 4770k but I was not sure of they were still relevant and good enough, but turns out they're. 

The only mayor upgrade you can go for is the GPU since better gaming performance is your goal. I assume that a 1050ti/RX570 or a 1060/RX580 should be fine for 1080p 60fps.

if 1070ti can fit your budget then go ahead. it give your GPU a much longer lifespan for next few gen of AAA gaming. but if your monitor is only 1080p 60hz, 1070 might be okay as well.

As other said, no 6600k cause its still 4 core 4 thread CPU. get a used i7 or a total change to i5 8600k or ryzen 5

3 minutes ago, Krychaz said:

Hey,

The older haswell chips do still have some life out of them, they are still capable CPUs for gaming, all I'd say is upgrade the CPU and GPU as the performance gain will be noticable. Since you do have a locked chipset, overclocking isnt supported, you'd need a "Z" series motherboard (you can always sell you current motherboard to get a Z87 motherboard for overclocking). If you went with the i7-4790k as an upgrade, but you still keeped your current motherboard, it still has a good base/turbo clock frequency while the 4770k does have a slower base/turbo clock frequencies, it still performs well.

Thanks for that, that was some very useful information. I will now look how the prices compare choose the best option, at least now I know not to got for the 6600k