Ubuntu Boot Problems in RST Mode + Ubuntu Install Unable to detect SATA drives in RST Mode

Go to solution Solved by owluitar,
18 hours ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

I looked into it, but before I commit to such changes, that does not approach the core issue. Instead, this method makes RST-installed Windows 7 to boot in AHCI mode switch rather than the goal of AHCI-installed Ubuntu to boot in RST mode. The motherboard has Intel RST Premium and AHCI, but Intel RST is needed to set up and manage motherboard-level RAID 1 for the 3TB HDDs, containing stored data that will give headaches and angry tones to more than just myself.

I will not risk that option yet, since it does not directly approach the main problem I am bringing up.

Your original post mentioned nothing about RAID so I made no assumptions...

From the Linux Mint forums, but it should be identical on Ubuntu.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=129866

TL;DR:
In linux, try the following:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mdadm

sudo mdadm --assemble --scan

As part of the Role Expansion Plan, the PC I built a year ago is undergoing further expansion to have a separate Ubuntu Linux partition while Windows 7 remains as my primary, turning my build into dual-boot capability. However, the installation process has its issues when RST mode rendered all SATA drives accessible unless I switch to AHCI in the motherboard settings, forced to install in AHCI mode to designate a HDD as its system and mini swap partitions. In RST Mode, Ubuntu fails to boot while Windows runs, while AHCI causes the boot results to be in reverse. Ubuntu has failed to find and install Boot-Repair despite my efforts on 'apt-get install' process with superuser privileges.

Since I have work several hours away and need to rest for expected heavy work, I would like to ask for advice to look into and test. I will respond in the next day, but I can leave some other considerations to take note of:

Spoiler
  • Windows 7 is the first to get installed, and under operation for about a year, carrying mission-critical data that makes any reinstallation involving the OS unnecessarily complicated, despite having partition-level image backups.
  • Build specs in the signature is not up to date due to addition of 2 HDDs, 2 add-on cards, and 1 NVMe SSD, but will not update until the project is complete.
  • Ubuntu is installed in HGST 500GB HDD, a former system drive of my laptop until the SSD transition, now given new purpose.
  • 1TB HDD remains unformatted and designated to be used to hold 1 Virtual Machine carrying Win 7 VM. To be marked as part of virtualization experiments and as a VM carrying a repository with heightened security and sandboxing.
  • Win 7 Partition uses 500GB NVMe, 500GB SSD, 3TB HDD in RST RAID1.
  • SATA power and data cables fully populated; no further changes to power wiring will not be done without severely uprooting the current cable management.
  • Edit 1 Addition: Ubuntu install does NOT find SATA/NVMe drives in install process while Motherboard uses RST instead of AHCI.

Add Edit 1: I'll elaborate further that during Ubuntu install process, the USB containing the Ubuntu Linux live session and installation failed to find any SATA drive (HDD or SSD) and M.2 drive in the process, thinking only the USB flash sticks and external hard drives are only available. And that is only possible when the motherboard is using Intel RST mode, and efforts are made to find the drivers while so far unsuccessful in the endeavor. I do not mind reinstalling Ubuntu again so long as I can get this actually detectable.

Edited by Aereto_Compuru
Elaboration and further information to the problem.
Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

So just to get this straight, Windows doesn't work with AHCI mode? You could just fix that with a registry patch I think.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/guide-enabling-ahci-mode-after-windows-7-installation.313676/

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

19 hours ago, owluitar said:

So just to get this straight, Windows doesn't work with AHCI mode? You could just fix that with a registry patch I think.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/guide-enabling-ahci-mode-after-windows-7-installation.313676/

I looked into it, but before I commit to such changes, that does not approach the core issue. Instead, this method makes RST-installed Windows 7 to boot in AHCI mode switch rather than the goal of AHCI-installed Ubuntu to boot in RST mode. The motherboard has Intel RST Premium and AHCI, but Intel RST is needed to set up and manage motherboard-level RAID 1 for the 3TB HDDs, containing stored data that will give headaches and angry tones to more than just myself.

I will not risk that option yet, since it does not directly approach the main problem I am bringing up.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

18 hours ago, Aereto_Compuru said:

TL;DR:

sudo apt-get update

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

9 hours ago, owluitar said:

TL;DR:

sudo apt-get update

That was able to help, in combination with additional steps I have taken such as reformatting the USB flash drive containing the latest Ubuntu ISO, using Rufus, to root out potential problems in Ubuntu install. I checked then flushed out any previous Ubuntu UEFI boot options prior to installing the OS again with efibootmgr.

I was able to wipe the disk containing the failed Ubuntu paritition and set up a new GPT.

With all of that combined, I was able to install and boot Ubuntu while in RST RAID. Got it working and managed to log in with control of the disk. The blank 1TB drive is also detectable, but will not format and mount it until I learn more about KVM and how to use it.

Spoiler