New SSD old HDD quits working

0rang3
Go to solution Solved by BubblyCharizard,

when you populate an m.2 slot, it can disable 1 or 2 of the SATA ports

double check the motherboard manual to see if it does, and which port(s) if any it does

sometimes, if you look at PCPP it can have a warning like "The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled."

if you are using the ASUS Prime b350 plus,

1*Due to the limitation of AMD Ryzen™ processors, memory frequencies higher than DDR4 2666 MHz are supported only when using one DIMM per channel.
2*AMD Ryzen™ Processor does not support.
3*PCIeX16_2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIeX1_1 and PCIeX1_2.

4*The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports, therefore the SATA6G_5/6 ports cannot be used when a SATA/PCIE mode M.2 device is installed.
5*The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports, therefore the SATA6G_5/6 ports cannot be used when a SATA/PCIE mode M.2 device is installed.

Howdy guys and gals,

I really need some help, I'm about losing it on this weird issue that makes no sense. Ok so I bought a new Samsung 960 Pro 512gb to put in my machine. Prior to installing it my setup with two SATA HDDs and one SATA SSD worked fine. After installing the Samsung M.2 I boot my system and all appears good... but I later noticed one of my HDDs isn't detected in windows. It's not in explorer or disk manager. So I shut down to see if BIOS sees it and it does not. The drive spins though so I know it has power.

Steps taken so far:

1. First I tried a spare sata cable to no avail.
  2. I tried disconnecting a working HDD and using that SATA cable which worked, but I still needed to reconnect the second HDD
  3. I used a brand new sata cable on the second drive and with all cables plugged in booted to BIOS. Bios doesn't see the second connected (known working) HDD with the new cable.
  4. Tried different ports... no dice

So I can get either HDD working and booted into windows but not at the same time. Removing the new Samsung M.2 fixes the issue though. Every drive and cable and port works as long as I don't have all connected at the same time... Is there some kind of limitation I'm unaware of? Is there a BIOS setting I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Specs:

Asus B350+ MOBO

Ryzen 7 1700 CPU

Geforce GTX 1800 GPU

EVGA 600BQ PSU

Sandisk SSD 250Gb (boot drive before M.2 install)

Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb (newest SSD)

Seagate 1Tb HDD

WD 3Tb HDD

Corsair LPX Dominator 3000Mhz 32Gb

I remember having similar issues and only option was when installing Windows, I had to disconnect all HDDs and only leave one drive connected to which I wanted Windows to be installed on - SSD.

So try reinstalling with HDDs disconnected.

double check the motherboard manual to see if it does, and which port(s) if any it does

sometimes, if you look at PCPP it can have a warning like "The motherboard M.2 slot #2 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled."

if you are using the ASUS Prime b350 plus,

1*Due to the limitation of AMD Ryzen™ processors, memory frequencies higher than DDR4 2666 MHz are supported only when using one DIMM per channel.
2*AMD Ryzen™ Processor does not support.
3*PCIeX16_2 slot shares bandwidth with PCIeX1_1 and PCIeX1_2.

4*The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports, therefore the SATA6G_5/6 ports cannot be used when a SATA/PCIE mode M.2 device is installed.
5*The M.2 Socket shares bandwidth with the SATA6G_5/6 ports, therefore the SATA6G_5/6 ports cannot be used when a SATA/PCIE mode M.2 device is installed.

5 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

Good idea, I have heard of manufacturers doing that also but it slipped my mind. I will hunt down my manual now and post what I find. Thanks

Just now, 0rang3 said:

Good idea, I have heard of manufacturers doing that also but it slipped my mind. I will hunt down my manual now and post what I find. Thanks

probably 5/6 is what it looks like

26 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

probably 5/6 is what it looks like

Yes indeed. The two side SATA ports 5 and 6 are off when a M.2 is installed. I very much appreciate the help. Life can now go on :)

Just now, 0rang3 said:

Yes indeed. The two side SATA ports 5 and 6 are off when a M.2 is installed. I very much appreciate the help. Life can now go on :)

yay :D