How do people test battery life for laptops?

I've seen people use data gotten through battery life tests. But for the life of me I cannot remember which applications they were using for it.

Browsing test, video playback, etc

I see there's this one: https://web.basemark.com/

And https://www.passmark.com/products/batmon.htm

But is there anything else?

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

8 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I think Linus and crew manually test devices in real use scenarios, many of the other reputable outlets do that too.

Powermark also exists: https://www.futuremark.com/benchmarks/powermark

There surely is something with web browsing, i'm certain they mentioned it a while ago in a laptop review.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Just now, Sauron said:

May as well be, cannot remember :( But I'll try them all. Need to have some data about my 2in1, and it'll take at least 5 hours, that's why manually tracking it is not really feasible.

22 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

I've seen people use data gotten through battery life tests. But for the life of me I cannot remember which applications they were using for it.

Browsing test, video playback, etc

I see there's this one: https://web.basemark.com/

And https://www.passmark.com/products/batmon.htm

But is there anything else?

It depends some do it the long way and do real life playback test, some use battery report and some use programs to test it.

3 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

It depends some do it the long way and do real life playback test, some use battery report and some use programs to test it.

It seems pointless to actually make someone stand there and imitate activity for hours and hours.

36 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

It seems pointless to actually make someone stand there and imitate activity for hours and hours.

I use the battery report to test battery life on my laptops, it's pretty detail and shows real world statistics.

14 minutes ago, <Aleks> said:

I use the battery report to test battery life on my laptops, it's pretty detail and shows real world statistics.

I did the report though, reported some stuff about applications and showed more available battery capacity than I have and less rated life than the capacity, overall strange report, useless for data. I'll try again after a cleanup and reset.

Decided to go with 2 variations of a video test:

Full HD video on half-brightness - and leave BatteryMon from passmark to log till it cannot log no more.

Then the same video but on full brightness.

Update: Got over 13 hours on half-brightness, didn't get to check full brightness as someone purchased it before I got to check :)

BatteryMon is pretty neat btw, lots of info.

From what I gathered at various websites, most of them do a 1080p video playback on loop, web browsing (which I believe is just going to a set number of pages and periodically refreshing them), and some sort of full load test and they run them until the laptop shuts down. They also do it at some absolute brightness value, usually 150 or 200 nits. The reason they do that is because brightness values in software on various laptops don't necessarily mean the same absolute brightness value.

35 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

From what I gathered at various websites, most of them do a 1080p video playback on loop, web browsing (which I believe is just going to a set number of pages and periodically refreshing them), and some sort of full load test and they run them until the laptop shuts down. They also do it at some absolute brightness value, usually 150 or 200 nits. The reason they do that is because brightness values in software on various laptops don't necessarily mean the same absolute brightness value.

Yup, that's why I set it to whatever it had as half-value, it's wasn't comfortable to video viewing - but a test is a test.

Too bad the video test is not really the best thing - as there's some specific hardware for video, and it probably doesn't load the system as well as a healthy multimedia hog would.

11 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

Yup, that's why I set it to whatever it had as half-value, it's wasn't comfortable to video viewing - but a test is a test.

Too bad the video test is not really the best thing - as there's some specific hardware for video, and it probably doesn't load the system as well as a healthy multimedia hog would.

Why wouldn't it? If a laptop doesn't have hardware acceleration and it kills battery life, then that needs to be shown so that people who watch videos know to avoid it.

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Why wouldn't it? If a laptop doesn't have hardware acceleration and it kills battery life, then that needs to be shown so that people who watch videos know to avoid it.

I'd hope that no laptops or 2in1s would forego hardware accelerated video playback nowadays.