Upgrading laptop m.2 storage from ngff to sata iii, and compatibility issue

My Lite-on l9G L8T-256L9G (256GB) ngff m.2 ssd 2280 has been running low on storage space for quite some time now (due to Win OS and all major apps I installed in it). I always used a workaround by moving files to my 1TB sata hd. It works but my 1TB Drive also gets full and I have to tranfer files to an ext hdd. So now instead of moving files from one storage to another, I was thinking of upgrading to a 1TB m.2 sata iii. I am choosing either wd or samsung evo would be a good choice. (Samsung pro is too expensive for me right now.) Add to the fact that I will be heading to Hong Kong tomorrow where prices are cheaper than in my country, then this would be a good time to buy i thought.

but here lies the problem for me: will a m.2 sata iii be compatible with m.2 sata ngff?

i’ve read online that ngff = m.2. But then I go to newegg and the filter shows m.2 sata, m.2 sata iii, and m.2 ngff. Yes sata and sata iii have different xGb/s speeds but I din’t see much info for ngff. Could someone shed some light on this ngff?

... will my choice of samsung evo 1TB 6Gb/s m.2 sata iii be a good choice?

Just now, Stevoisboss said:

Should be the same thing. 

My thoughts exactly. Just wanted to make sure though