Strange behavior from my system

Audherbagn

So I just built a system with a 1500x in a gigabyte ga-ab350 gaming 3 and an asus rx 550 2gb. Now I built the system and installed windows and drivers with no issues, but when I tried to start overclocking the cpu, the strangest thing happened. It wouldn’t post, but was giving me a graphics card error… as if there wasn’t one. I reseated the graphics card and tried again. Nothing. I cleared the cmos. Nothing. I pulled the card out of the system and tried it on a different one, and the card worked fine in that system. I went to swap my 1080 ti into the ryzen system but it physically didn’t fit into the case, so I gutted the whole thing, installed the 1080 ti outside of the case l, and it posted. I swapped the rx 550 back on and it worked fine too. I reassembled the system and it still worked fine. I started overclocking the cpu again, the exact same thing happened. I want an overclock, but apparently can’t. Does anyone know what the heck is happening?

It sounds like there may have been a short on the motherboard somewhere. Are you sure you installed the motherboard standoffs correctly?

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

its called boot failure lol, u just put unstable settings on the oc so it boot fails

prolly need to increase volts or ram is unstable ( use xmp and dont touch it )

(◑‿◐)

15 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

its called boot failure lol, u just put unstable settings on the oc so it boot fails

prolly need to increase volts or ram is unstable ( use xmp and dont touch it )

I said I cleared the cmos

Just now, Audherbagn said:

I said I cleared the cmos

u need to set ur ram timings after u clear cmos... or it aint gonna boot either way prolly

(◑‿◐)

39 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

It sounds like there may have been a short on the motherboard somewhere. Are you sure you installed the motherboard standoffs correctly?

That doesn’t make sense because it worked in the case before 

Just now, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

u need to set ur ram timings after u clear cmos... or it aint gonna boot either way prolly

It won’t post…

8 hours ago, Audherbagn said:

That doesn’t make sense because it worked in the case before 

Sorry, I skipped over the part where you said you overclocked it. If the motherboard posts, get into the BIOS and set everything up. If it turns on, then off multiple times, wait for it to finish, go to windows, download the motherboard's latest BIOS, flash it, and you should be good to go.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

10 hours ago, Audherbagn said:

So I just built a system with a 1500x in a gigabyte ga-ab350 gaming 3 and an asus rx 550 2gb. Now I built the system and installed windows and drivers with no issues, but when I tried to start overclocking the cpu, the strangest thing happened. It wouldn’t post, but was giving me a graphics card error… as if there wasn’t one. I reseated the graphics card and tried again. Nothing. I cleared the cmos. Nothing. I pulled the card out of the system and tried it on a different one, and the card worked fine in that system. I went to swap my 1080 ti into the ryzen system but it physically didn’t fit into the case, so I gutted the whole thing, installed the 1080 ti outside of the case l, and it posted. I swapped the rx 550 back on and it worked fine too. I reassembled the system and it still worked fine. I started overclocking the cpu again, the exact same thing happened. I want an overclock, but apparently can’t. Does anyone know what the heck is happening?

Ok.

So you built the system.

All worked fine.

You overclocked it.

Didn't work. Nothing on screen.

You pulled the battery. Booted up fine.

Overclocked again.

Didn't work. Nothing on screen?

Have I got that correct?

It's not a race to the bottom.