Boot Difficulties

So basically here is the sitch,

I was trying to bring my system up to par and purchased some new parts. These being the ASUS Strix 1080 ti, Trident Z 16 Gb pack, and a shiny new MSI Pro Carbon x370 motherboard. Put all of the parts together, Windows 10 Pro booted properly, and everything was fine and dandy.

Of course, its always something and I decided that I did not like my new MSI motherboard. Was planning on returning it to opt for something more expensive. Rip everything out and throw in my old MSI B350 Tomahawk to use while I wait. Everything looks normal when I turn on my PC and then it happens,

Preparing Windows Automatic Repair

The spinner freezes after one turn and I'm pissed.

I turn off my PC and am able to get into the BIOS just fine. CPU looks normal as well as everything else. Try everything I can think of and always the same result.

I don't really know what to do at this point and I am really hoping someone on here can help. 

Thank You,

chump

7 minutes ago, chumpty said:

So basically here is the sitch,

I was trying to bring my system up to par and purchased some new parts. These being the ASUS Strix 1080 ti, Trident Z 16 Gb pack, and a shiny new MSI Pro Carbon x370 motherboard. Put all of the parts together, Windows 10 Pro booted properly, and everything was fine and dandy.

Of course, its always something and I decided that I did not like my new MSI motherboard. Was planning on returning it to opt for something more expensive. Rip everything out and throw in my old MSI B350 Tomahawk to use while I wait. Everything looks normal when I turn on my PC and then it happens,

Preparing Windows Automatic Repair

The spinner freezes after one turn and I'm pissed.

I turn off my PC and am able to get into the BIOS just fine. CPU looks normal as well as everything else. Try everything I can think of and always the same result.

I don't really know what to do at this point and I am really hoping someone on here can help. 

Thank You,

chump

Hello Chumpty,

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Have you tried to replace your other, new motherboard? If the problem persists thereafter, then I would look further into the OS as it seems to be the issue with booting. If it works, then I would guess that there is a compatibility issue with your new parts and your old motherboard.

Keep us updated,

Friendly LTT community member

Is the B350 motherboard set to UEFI or legacy mode? Just out of curiosity. That could be why.

Daily Driver:

CPU - Dual X5670 | GPU - GTX 750 Ti | CASE - HP DL380 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 8 x 146GB 15K RPM HDD

Work Horse:

CPU - Quad E7-4870 | GPU - Quad Tesla M2090 | CASE - HPDL580 G7 | RAM - 128GB Samsung 1366 DDR3 ECC | STORAGE - 2 x 256GB Samsung 950 EVO SSD

1 hour ago, CUDA_Cores said:

You can't switch out a motherboard with a different one on windows, even within the same brand and chipset. This is a really common problem i've seen time after time again with systems that stop POSTing. Now i'm not saying a mobo swap can't be done successfully, but I am saying the only easy way out of this is to do a reinstall of windows. I know that doesn't sound fun, but it's the absolute sure-fire way to solve the problem. 

I agree.

Although you can switch Windows 10 from board to board, it is not good practice.

It's not a race to the bottom.