i5 4690k interesting test results

image.thumb.png.1c306cbea2c1cdbf8c59de749e177b72.png

This is an average baseline of all 4690ks using Passmark benchmarking software. I overclocked my i5 4690k to 4.3Ghz with boost enabled. It was showing in windows task manager that it was running at 5.2ghz, which I find it hard to believe. In order to see if I actually was getting a performance increase of that magnitude, the only tests that I ran were 4.3ghz with boost and without boost in Passmark.

This is the test with boost at 4.3ghz

image.png.e04df08415050a404586eb52af80194b.png

This is the test without boost at 4.3 ghz

image.png.fa3277f961ceca1257fc35278483b578.png

As you can see there was a very slight performance increase, which makes me think that it is not boosting at all during the with boost operation, and the one without boost isn't achieving 4.3ghz. I would like to know your thoughts with how the tests went. It was an identical system on both trials, and the one with a lower cpu score had a higher overall score.

You are right to not trust Task Manager's report of GHz, it is often very wrong

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

it was definitely not throttling, have it on water with a corsair h55 120mm aio. I should have simultaneously tested temps but i forgot to start core temp before running the benchmarks. On another note, the ambient temperature in my house is around 65 degrees Fahrenheit/18 degrees Celsius. My idle temp with the non boost was 23 Celsius/ 73 Fahrenheit.

1 minute ago, MadMike887 said:

it was definitely not throttling, have it on water with a corsair h55 120mm aio. I should have simultaneously tested temps but i forgot to start core temp before running the benchmarks. On another note, the ambient temperature in my house is around 65 degrees Fahrenheit/18 degrees Celsius. My idle temp with the non boost was 23 Celsius/ 73 Fahrenheit.

Just because you have a certain cooler doesn't mean it isn't throttling. Check anyway. I have a custom loop and my 7700k was throttling because I didn't put enough thermal paste on.

9 minutes ago, The Oddball said:

Just because you have a certain cooler doesn't mean it isn't throttling. Check anyway. I have a custom loop and my 7700k was throttling because I didn't put enough thermal paste on.

Especially when that cooler is nothing amazing

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 minutes ago, MadMike887 said:

No where near to throttle

Can you run something a bit more detailed like Hwinfo64 to make sure it is actually boosting to 4.3?

Hold on a sec here. You're looking at your system overall score and comparing it to the Passmark CPU mark score on the website. In this case your CPU is actually scoring 9353 CPU Marks, well above the referenced 7782.

Nevermind I need to read better.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

My point was even though i got a 9400 on one set the rest of the build was lower, and when i got a 9300 on the other test the build score increased.