Questions about how XLR and all that works

FlushaDev

I'm dead confused on how XLR and all those connectors work, I'm planning on buying a couple of Mackie Thump 15A loudspeakers and they have 2 XLR connectors on the back with the 1/4 jack, now if for example I grab one of these (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Male-XLR-to-2-x-RCA-Male-Phono-Plug-Lead-Cable-0-3m-1-5m-6m-Twin-Double/112604410309) and connect the RCA connectors to my controller, the other 2 XLRs, where do they go behind the speakers? There's some output XLR and some Input connectors, I'm dead confused so I'm asking for some help understanding better

"The only way to do great work, is do do what you love." -Steve Jobs

13 minutes ago, FlushaDev said:

I'm dead confused on how XLR and all those connectors work, I'm planning on buying a couple of Mackie Thump 15A loudspeakers and they have 2 XLR connectors on the back with the 1/4 jack, now if for example I grab one of these (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Male-XLR-to-2-x-RCA-Male-Phono-Plug-Lead-Cable-0-3m-1-5m-6m-Twin-Double/112604410309) and connect the RCA connectors to my controller, the other 2 XLRs, where do they go behind the speakers? There's some output XLR and some Input connectors, I'm dead confused so I'm asking for some help understanding better

Basically one of the XLR ports is a input from a source, whilst the other is a passthrough for an optional sub. The XLRs are balanced whereas the 1/4 is an unbalanced input. So, I would not recommend the adapter you linked. 

A better option would be:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLR-Male-Plug-to-2-x-Phono-Phonos-RCA-RCAs-Plug-Cable-Adaptor-Adapter-Lead-25cm/140851688766?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49479%26meid%3D63c3f9270e064d508e24f0f84d819502%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D112604410309&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

(damn thats a long link)

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Just now, another random person said:

Basically one of the XLR ports is a input from a source, whilst the other is a passthrough for an optional sub. The XLRs are balanced whereas the 1/4 is an unbalanced input. So, I would not recommend the adapter you linked. 

A better option would be:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLR-Male-Plug-to-2-x-Phono-Phonos-RCA-RCAs-Plug-Cable-Adaptor-Adapter-Lead-25cm/140851688766?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49479%26meid%3D63c3f9270e064d508e24f0f84d819502%26pid%3D100623%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D112604410309&_trksid=p2047675.c100623.m-1

(damn thats a long link)

The problem is that my controller only has one RCA Master Out that's why I picked the RCA to 2 XLR 

1 minute ago, FlushaDev said:

The problem is that my controller only has one RCA Master Out that's why I picked the RCA to 2 XLR 

You only require one XLR port with regards to the input on the speaker as the second XLR port on the speaker is an output and is not an input. RCA is a standard red and white for each audio channel. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Just now, another random person said:

You only require one XLR port with regards to the input on the speaker as the second XLR port on the speaker is an output and is not an input. RCA is a standard red and white for each audio channel. 

Ohhhh I get it now, thanks a lot buddy

No.

Each speaker has one line level input and one line level output. For the input, it's a combo xlr and balanced 1/4'' TRS socket. For the output it's a balanced XLR plug.

The output of your controller is on two unbalanced RCA connectors (one for left one for right). If you intend to keep the stereo-ness then you need two RCA to XLR/TRS adapters.

Further, it's frowned upon to be running unbalanced audio further than to a pair of headphones, and it is susceptible to pick up interference from anything electronic nearby. The solution to this is a DI box. Because you're putting it between the controller and the speakers it needs to be passive, the best option is this with two RCA to TS/TRS adapters and then XLR to the speakers.

18 hours ago, anothertom said:

No.

Each speaker has one line level input and one line level output. For the input, it's a combo xlr and balanced 1/4'' TRS socket. For the output it's a balanced XLR plug.

The output of your controller is on two unbalanced RCA connectors (one for left one for right). If you intend to keep the stereo-ness then you need two RCA to XLR/TRS adapters.

Further, it's frowned upon to be running unbalanced audio further than to a pair of headphones, and it is susceptible to pick up interference from anything electronic nearby. The solution to this is a DI box. Because you're putting it between the controller and the speakers it needs to be passive, the best option is this with two RCA to TS/TRS adapters and then XLR to the speakers.

Cheers mate, will look into it, lucky I found a retailer locally to buy it :)