PC Upgrade, need help

Go to solution Solved by michelin_boi,
1 minute ago, imORANGEskittle said:

Thanks man really helpful :D one GPU and PSU coming up :) when do you think RAM prices will drop?

Any time! As for RAM, just keep an eye out. It's all up to whether or not the memory manufacturers decided to stop gouging the market. Right now they're not even producing DDR4 modules, all the plants are producing the memory used in cell phones. There's almost no knowing until it takes a sudden dive in price. I pay attention to the news. I'm hoping that prices will drop by the beginning of of Q2 2018, but don't quote me on that.

Heres a video card that should be a nice budget increase for your money.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TrGj4D/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-gt-ocv1-video-card-geforce-gtx-1060-6gt-ocv1

And a slightly more expensive one, which also puts you slightly out of budget if you include a PSU:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/fPFXsY/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1070-o8g

Here the PSU I recommend:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/DbqdnQ/corsair-power-supply-cs550m

The PSU in your case appears to be standard ATX, which is command for uATX cases. Doublecheck before ordering, but that PSU should do you justice with that card and give you plenty of performance headroom.

@michelin_boi=much moto, very wow
need best cpu cooling? add 2 stroke oil (but no, really don't)
5 things newegg doesn't want you to know:

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

Down the road if you plan to keep this rig for a while, and once you have a bit more money, other things you can do to further increase gaming performance will be to grab a couple good SSDs: a small one for your OS and a larger one to store your steam library on. You can also add more RAM, which up to 16GB should help a bit too. More than 16 is honestly overkill for the average gaming rig. The % increase from upgrading RAM will be hardly noticable unless you multitask while you game.

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

7 minutes ago, michelin_boi said:

Heres a video card that should be a nice budget increase for your money.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/TrGj4D/msi-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-6gb-gt-ocv1-video-card-geforce-gtx-1060-6gt-ocv1

And a slightly more expensive one, which also puts you slightly out of budget if you include a PSU:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/fPFXsY/asus-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-dual-video-card-dual-gtx1070-o8g

Here the PSU I recommend:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/DbqdnQ/corsair-power-supply-cs550m

The PSU in your case appears to be standard ATX, which is command for uATX cases. Doublecheck before ordering, but that PSU should do you justice with that card and give you plenty of performance headroom.

Using the part picker, there doesn't seem to be any problems. So do you think the GTX 1060 6GB and the PSU upgrade will increase my performance? Nothing else, like no CPU upgrade? I was considering buying another 8GB RAM when I could to give me 2x8 (16GB) RAM. 

9 minutes ago, imORANGEskittle said:

Using the part picker, there doesn't seem to be any problems. So do you think the GTX 1060 6GB and the PSU upgrade will increase my performance? Nothing else, like no CPU upgrade? I was considering buying another 8GB RAM when I could to give me 2x8 (16GB) RAM. 

Yes, getting a CPU upgrade would help a little bit, BUT not as much as a GPU for gaming. You don't necessarily have a bad CPU for gaming, as most games are bottlenecked by GPU well before CPU. It is highly likely you'll see a stark increase in gaming performance by upgrading to a faster GPU that also has more VRAM. More VRAM will definitely help since you card only has 2GB.

8GB RAM is a good starting point for most gaming machines. Wait until you upgrade your GPU before you purchase more RAM. I'd also wait for RAM prices to go down before you do.

EDIT: I had a rig with that same CPU up until very recently running 1440 at 60 FPS on a 1070 without bottlenecking the CPU, so trust me its a solid processor. 4 cores @ 3.7GHZ is great.

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

11 minutes ago, michelin_boi said:

Yes, getting a CPU upgrade would help a little bit, BUT not as much as a GPU for gaming. You don't necessarily have a bad CPU for gaming, as most games are bottlenecked by GPU well before CPU. It is highly likely you'll see a stark increase in gaming performance by upgrading to a faster GPU that also has more VRAM. More VRAM will definitely help since you card only has 2GB.

8GB RAM is a good starting point for most gaming machines. Wait until you upgrade your GPU before you purchase more RAM. I'd also wait for RAM prices to go down before you do.

EDIT: I had a rig with that same CPU up until very recently running 1440 at 60 FPS on a 1070 without bottlenecking the CPU, so trust me its a solid processor. 4 cores @ 3.7GHZ is great.

Thanks man really helpful :D one GPU and PSU coming up :) when do you think RAM prices will drop?

MAYbe after the holidays

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

Just now, bigjohnthescot said:

MAYbe after the holidays

True, they love to rake in money over XMAS

1 minute ago, imORANGEskittle said:

Any time! As for RAM, just keep an eye out. It's all up to whether or not the memory manufacturers decided to stop gouging the market. Right now they're not even producing DDR4 modules, all the plants are producing the memory used in cell phones. There's almost no knowing until it takes a sudden dive in price. I pay attention to the news. I'm hoping that prices will drop by the beginning of of Q2 2018, but don't quote me on that.

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

yeah I am hoping for a drop in the 7820 in 3 months along with the 1080 looking to run dual cards next year

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

1 hour ago, bigjohnthescot said:

yeah SUPER sketchy go for a corsair gold cert 

Don't buy by brand

1 hour ago, imORANGEskittle said:

U.K. based :(

uk.pcpartpicker.com

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.