PC Upgrade, need help

Go to solution Solved by michelin_boi,
1 minute ago, imORANGEskittle said:

Thanks man really helpful :D one GPU and PSU coming up :) when do you think RAM prices will drop?

Any time! As for RAM, just keep an eye out. It's all up to whether or not the memory manufacturers decided to stop gouging the market. Right now they're not even producing DDR4 modules, all the plants are producing the memory used in cell phones. There's almost no knowing until it takes a sudden dive in price. I pay attention to the news. I'm hoping that prices will drop by the beginning of of Q2 2018, but don't quote me on that.

Hi, so I want to upgrade my computer but I can't afford a lot. This is my current setup:

• CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core
  • RAM: 8GB
  • GPU: AMD Radeon R7 360
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-F2A68HM-HD2 Micro ATX FM2

I won't lie, I'm a newbie at this stuff. But I'm looking to upgrade my computer so it's faster and has better performance for games because the other day I tried to run Just Cause 3 on the lowest possible settings,

but my computer just couldn't handle it. My budget is around £300-400. A friend recommended the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB as it was only a tiny fraction more expensive for the double the power of the 1060 3GB... but I have no clue what CPU is best with this graphics card. I was considering upgrading my RAM with another 8GB to run on 2x8GB (16GB). Any thoughts and ideas would help?

i would go with another 8 gigs ram and a 500gig ssd  it depends on your budget

never let fear stand in the way of your terror. 

If you like anything I write feel free to quote and pass it on

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

4 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

i would go with another 8 gigs ram and a 500gig ssd  it depends on your budget

really is that all it would take? more RAM ? I know SSD are faster but are they a must? I'd rather keep my 1TB WD Blue

10 minutes ago, imORANGEskittle said:

Hi, so I want to upgrade my computer but I can't afford a lot. This is my current setup:

• CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Quad Core
  • RAM: 8GB
  • GPU: AMD Radeon R7 360
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-F2A68HM-HD2 Micro ATX FM2

I won't lie, I'm a newbie at this stuff. But I'm looking to upgrade my computer so it's faster and has better performance for games because the other day I tried to run Just Cause 3 on the lowest possible settings,

but my computer just couldn't handle it. My budget is around £300-400. A friend recommended the EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB as it was only a tiny fraction more expensive for the double the power of the 1060 3GB... but I have no clue what CPU is best with this graphics card. I was considering upgrading my RAM with another 8GB to run on 2x8GB (16GB). Any thoughts and ideas would help?

I'd basically build a whole new system. Just use your current case, storage drive(s) and peripherals...

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/sdRQkT 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

the old saw of car racing holds true in computers how fast you want to go depends on how much your willing to spend, you can be a ;mater or you can be a shelby ......

however, if you disagree with me and have a strong opinion.....better be riding a fast horse

Just now, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

I'd basically build a whole new system. Just use your current case, storage drive(s) and peripherals...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sdRQkT 

Any recommendations? 

so I would keep my:

Just now, imORANGEskittle said:

Yep but just replace the PSU with the one I put in the list. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

only other thing I would do is is get a small ssd and put my os on there and then check for bloat and crapware

6 minutes ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Yep but just replace the PSU with the one I put in the list. 

What's the difference? the PSU that comes with my case has 400W 

3 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

only other thing I would do is is get a small ssd and put my os on there and then check for bloat and crapware

like a 120gb ssd?

Just now, imORANGEskittle said:

The one I put in the list is way better in terms of quality. 

زندگی از چراغ

1 minute ago, imORANGEskittle said:

It's trash quality, and I wouldn't trust it around ANYTHING.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

not all psu are created equal some will fry your rig

uh the case comes with a PSU?

1 minute ago, bigjohnthescot said:

uh the case comes with a PSU?

Yeah, so why would I need an alternative one when the case psu offers enough power

yeah SUPER sketchy go for a corsair gold cert 

things like genuine japanese capacitors sealed motor coils uncrossed leads all are notorious in  C.heapAF PSUs and have fried many a rig NEVER EVER cheap out on psu

The biggest boost your can get out of your budget is  to get a newer graphics card (6GB or 8GB of VRAM) and a good PSU that can support it. Building a whole new PC with a new card is going to be costly, even if you reuse your case and storage. RAM prices are kinda nuts right now too, so stay away from RAM until after you can up your graphics card. 16GB is as much as you should need in the long run for gaming btw...

@michelin_boi=much moto, very wow
need best cpu cooling? add 2 stroke oil (but no, really don't)
5 things newegg doesn't want you to know:

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

@michelin_boiram AND vid cards are crazy 

Just now, bigjohnthescot said:

@michelin_boiram AND vid cards are crazy 

Vid cards haven't seen quite as bad price/performance imbalance as RAM lately, though I agree they are both pretty bad right now. RAM isn't going to help nearly as much for immediate gaming performance increases, but it will still cost him a fortune.

@michelin_boi=much moto, very wow
need best cpu cooling? add 2 stroke oil (but no, really don't)
5 things newegg doesn't want you to know:

Spoiler
  1. wait
  2. for
  3. black
  4. friday
  5. sales

3 minutes ago, michelin_boi said:

The biggest boost your can get out of your budget is  to get a newer graphics card (6GB or 8GB of VRAM) and a good PSU that can support it. Building a whole new PC with a new card is going to be costly, even if you reuse your case and storage. RAM prices are kinda nuts right now too, so stay away from RAM until after you can up your graphics card. 16GB is as much as you should need in the long run for gaming btw...

this is my current setup:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/q99Kyf

What parts would you recommend? :)

I would even suggest he check out craigslist or letgo if you are in the states 

2 minutes ago, bigjohnthescot said:

I would even suggest he check out craigslist or letgo if you are in the states 

U.K. based :(