What is Cyber Security / Computer Security? (School)

Votivee

Backstory: So I'll be graduating with my A.A.S degree in Computer Information Technology in the spring, and my plan is to transfer and get my bachelors from a 4 year degree in the Fall of 2018. I'd like to aim my career towards something a little more specific once I transfer but I'm on the fence about what I want to go into. My three thoughts as of now are (No particular order):

• Business and Technology Management / Computer Information Systems - I.T. Manager someday
  • Networking
  • Cyber Security

I'm not a super huge fan of just coding (for programs/applications) so I didn't go the computer science path. I do enjoy coding though if it's mixed in with other things like if I was to be setting up a server and a switch or firewall (such as CMD, Linux Command Line, Etc.). I very much enjoy messing with servers and distributing workloads and storage.

Onto my main question:

I'm honestly not sure what Cyber Security consists of, but it sounds very interesting to me. I seem to have a hard time finding the specifics about the job, most of the stuff I come across is just a brief overview and projected job growth. I obviously know that it's purpose is to keep attackers at bay and to test companies security and such, but how is this stuff done? Is it mostly command based? or is it more network and GUI based? How are codes cracked and networks broken into?

I've read about hacking challenges but how do you get into stuff like that in the first place? Is it mostly just coding/programming? I'm just curious what courses and such would await me if I did go with a Cyber Security Major. 

Any websites or videos you guys could point me towards would be much appreciated.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Cyber Security basically means security systems put in place on servers for big companies that protect their networks from virus attacks and other attacks like DDOS attacks. As a Cyber Security engineer, you would design these systems and make sure that they were foolproof to keep companies safe from hacking. To be a Cyber Security engineer, you would need advanced knowledge in coding. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

10 minutes ago, Votivee said:

I obviously know that it's purpose is to keep attackers at bay and to test companies security and such, but how is this stuff done? Is it mostly command based? or is it more network and GUI based? How are codes cracked and networks broken into?

I'm currently in my final year for my Cyber Security diploma, if you are talking about penetration testing systems, some are GUI-based, some are CLI-based, it varies, but most tools that I have seen are CLI-based (you gotta look the part lelelelel).

In the Cyber Security field, it is not just about hackers, there are jobs like security researchers, malware forensics, penetration testers/ethical hackers, security consultants, security operations centre agents and many more.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

13 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Any websites or videos you guys could point me towards would be much appreciated.

LiveOverflow on YouTube. Watch his "binary hacking" course and that should give you a good idea of what true hacking is, though hacking is just one part of cybersecurity.

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Cyber Security basically means security systems put in place on servers for big companies that protect their networks from virus attacks and other attacks like DDOS attacks. As a Cyber Security engineer, you would design these systems and make sure that they were foolproof to keep companies safe from hacking. To be a Cyber Security engineer, you would need advanced knowledge in coding. 

True but not the whole truth. Knowing how computers work would be a better explanation than "advanced coding."

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

10 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

I'm currently in my final year for my Cyber Security diploma

What classes have you had to take? Generally speaking..

Did you have to take more programming or networking based classes?

10 minutes ago, exercutor5 said:

In the Cyber Security field, it is not just about hackers

9 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

though hacking is just one part of cybersecurity.

I understand this, and I guess I was just using it as an example, but at the same time I know I'd have to know how to do it and how it works. I'm mostly interested in network security / security auditing.

~Air Cooling Advocate~

5 minutes ago, Votivee said:

What classes have you had to take? Generally speaking..

Did you have to take more programming or networking based classes?

Both, you need to have at least basic programming and networking concepts as your foundation, then moving on to more specialized ones related to Cyber Security like Ethical Hacking, Digital Forensics, Application Security, Networking Security, Intrusion, Detection & Prevention. In my first year, everyone in the IT school had to take the same modules, all the basics like programming and networking, regardless of your course of study, its only from the second semester of the first year onwards where you see specialization modules taking place. 

EDIT: Oh yes I also took IT Risk Management and Compliance, where we are all taught about audits, business continuity plans, etc. But with all the examples and lessons related back to Cyber Security.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

31 minutes ago, Votivee said:

I've read about hacking challenges but how do you get into stuff like that in the first place? Is it mostly just coding/programming? I'm just curious what courses and such would await me if I did go with a Cyber Security Major. 

Many companies hire white hat/gray hat hackers for penetration testing and some of them earn as much as $100,000 per year or even more if the vulnerability is very serious. You can participate in bug bounty programs of tech companies and they pay per vulnerability. 

You can start by tinkering with Metasploit in Kali Linux and do simple SSL stripping which makes VPNs very important especially on public wifi. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

8 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Many companies hire white hat/gray hat hackers for penetration testing and some of them earn as much as $100,000 per year or even more if the vulnerability is very serious. You can participate in bug bounty programs of tech companies and they pay per vulnerability. 

You can start by tinkering with Metasploit in Kali Linux and do simple SSL stripping which makes VPNs very important especially on public wifi. 

Just make sure to have permission, most people tend to get mad when you find exploits without them asking you to find them. It's a good way of getting sued.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

43 minutes ago, Votivee said:

Backstory: So I'll be graduating with my A.A.S degree in Computer Information Technology in the spring, and my plan is to transfer and get my bachelors from a 4 year degree in the Fall of 2018. I'd like to aim my career towards something a little more specific once I transfer but I'm on the fence about what I want to go into. My three thoughts as of now are (No particular order):

• Business and Technology Management / Computer Information Systems - I.T. Manager someday
  • Networking
  • Cyber Security

I'm not a super huge fan of just coding (for programs/applications) so I didn't go the computer science path. I do enjoy coding though if it's mixed in with other things like if I was to be setting up a server and a switch or firewall (such as CMD, Linux Command Line, Etc.). I very much enjoy messing with servers and distributing workloads and storage.

Onto my main question:

I'm honestly not sure what Cyber Security consists of, but it sounds very interesting to me. I seem to have a hard time finding the specifics about the job, most of the stuff I come across is just a brief overview and projected job growth. I obviously know that it's purpose is to keep attackers at bay and to test companies security and such, but how is this stuff done? Is it mostly command based? or is it more network and GUI based? How are codes cracked and networks broken into?

I am assuming you are in college. I am in high school and the Air Force Association has a program called CyberPatriot which allows students to compete in cyber defense. You may want to search it up. From what I have learned so far, you can pretty much just go online and search up [insert OS] hardening. Also on youtube, there are plenty of videos to watch on whatever OS you want to secure. Also I believe there is a cyber competition for adults, its like CyberPatriot on steroids, so you may want to search it up, can't recall the name right now.

1 hour ago, exercutor5 said:

Both, you need to have at least basic programming and networking concepts as your foundation

EDIT: Oh yes I also took IT Risk Management and Compliance, where we are all taught about audits, business continuity plans, etc. But with all the examples and lessons related back to Cyber Security.

I've already passed Java, C++, and a linux course with flying colors, as well as (unfortunately) the only two networking classes my school has to offer. I'm also currently enrolled in a course that sounds like the one you mentioned in the edit, although mine is geared more towards web development, specifically databases. 

By the sounds of what you have told me, I feel like I would be in good shape to enter the major. Thank you for all the information.

1 hour ago, hey_yo_ said:

My networking professor touched base on the white/grey/black hat thing and what each of them was, but that's about as far as we went. I'll check out the videos and the other stuff you mentioned. Thanks for the help.

1 hour ago, Kenny477 said:

I am in high school and the Air Force Association has a program called CyberPatriot which allows students to compete in cyber defense. You may want to search it up. From what I have learned so far, you can pretty much just go online and search up [insert OS] hardening. Also on youtube, there are plenty of videos to watch on whatever OS you want to secure. Also I believe there is a cyber competition for adults, its like CyberPatriot on steroids, so you may want to search it up, can't recall the name right now.

Do you have to be part of some ROTC thing to take advantage of these or are they free to the general public?

~Air Cooling Advocate~

Here is what you should do.

1. Find the schools you would be interested in going to.
  2. Look up what educations they offer.
  3. Look up what courses are included and read up what they are about.

That will give you a good idea what to expect.

IT isn't like some other educations where you study let's say glass blowing and then you become a glass blower. 

8 hours ago, Votivee said:

Do you have to be part of some ROTC thing to take advantage of these or are they free to the general public?

Nope, I believe the adult one is fully open and for our high school there is open and ROTC.